P90X Supplements

dani1351

Cathlete
Hello fellow p90x users I have a question. When we ordered p90x we also got the pull-up bar which allowed us to get the recovery drink for free. I looked at the nutritional label on the back and saw that it has 36g of sugar in it for one serving. To me that is alot. DH and I talked about getting another supply of the recovery drink and maybe some other things. I am more on the side that it is not necessary. We both eat pretty clean. I am curious what others think, are the supplements really necessary? Are they just gimmicks? Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I love it and it does taste awesome. I read a good book called Nutrient Timing that really goes into *why* you need a good carb/ protein ratio after working out. It was hard for me to get used to also, but now I LOVE my recovery drink and have been a lot less sore. My dh loves it also! (thank goodness I get 25% off! ;)) HTH!

I also think a good recovery feeding with a 4-to-1 ratio of carbs to protein is essential for best results (taking too much protein too soon after a workout can actually interfere with recovery, as your body needs to replenish glycogen first). But you don't have to buy the BB recovery drink to get it. When I did P90X I used a chocolate soy milk with added vitamins that had about that ratio.

Just look at the label of the recovery drink, and find something else that has about the same macronutrient ratio.

If you want a bigger recovery boost, proteolytic enzymes are supposed to aid in recovery.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.