Oxygen Mag: worth it?

Bunbun

Cathlete
I just got a card offering a subscription to Oxygen magazine, 12 issues for about $20. Is it worth it? I can cancel the subscription after the first issue if I don't like it, but I've been through that before with other magazines, and have found that they tend to get really obnoxious about wanting payment repeatedly even after you've followed their instructions on how to cancel.

Anyhow, opinions on Oxygen magazine? I subscribed to Muscle and Fitness Hers for a few years, followed some of their workouts, and then found Cathe and basically lost interest in the magazine.

Thanks!

It's a hypocritical publication and I told them so and cancelled my subs, they never refunded my money, but the mags stopped coming.

I read an interview in an issue a year ago with a well known fitness star who ran fast food joints that ruined other people's health and with this money she financed her career in "fitness" aka "hypocrisy."

I also got sick to the back teeth of pages of reviews of fitness competitions and who had won what by starving themselves for weeks beforehand to reduce their body fat and look really good in their swim suit. All these women's husbands said they were hell to live with because the elimination of carbs from their diets made them mentally and emotionally unstable before competition.

I do not see this magazine promoting sensible and ethical approaches to a helthy lifestyle. You would do better to stick with Cathe.

Clare

I really love the magazine. Right now I get Shape, Fitness, Yoga Journal, and Oxygen. Shape and Fitness tend (in my opinion only)to run the same thing over and over in different ways. Now there are things I do like about them ,but probably won't renew. I will just pick them up at the supermarket. Oxygen focuses for me on more of the goals I want to obtain as far as fitness. I like a more athletic, muscular look. I think Oxygen gives me that. If I had to choose I would not give up Oxygen for the other two. As for Yoga Journal, love that too. Karen

It's my favorite mag! Lately the issues have been rather thin, though, and not very informative but the last one was pretty good. Of all the fitness mags we have to choose from, it's the best IMO.

<<All these women's husbands said they were hell to live with because the elimination of carbs from their diets made them mentally and emotionally unstable before competition>>

Wow, Clare. Did they really quote the husbands saying that in the articles? If so, I have to give them points for being honest, at least!

Added: I just read your comments to my BF. His reaction: "You know, they used to bind women's feet in China and consider that beautiful, too."

Anyhow, sorry to get off topic--and this is NOT implied or direct or indirect criticism of anyone on this forum!!

While it is very true that a ton of their stuff is "competition related", they had an awesome article this past month that was all about how the competitors figure is not "natural" and not something even *they* hold onto for very long. They don't look like that for long at all...too hard on their bodies (and husbands...so I hear)!

They have mapped out the precompetion diet and it is NOT one to follow for life (well, for me, not one to ever follow). It involves severe carb restrictions and a week or so prior to stage time, water restrictions.

My point, the honesty is great! I love the way some of them look but is GREAT to know what goes into it so that I am aware of how attainable it is (or should I say not unattainable). Why wish to look like a woman who looked like that for only 5 minutes?

I subscribe to Prevention, Fitness, Women's Health, Fitness Rx and Oxygen. Oxygen is a good mag but tends to cater more to the fitness competitors. Fitness Rx and Women's Health are tied for my favorite. I enjoy Fitness Rx's format and its content. Women's Health is a very comprehensive, intelligent periodical. Out of the five I currently subscribe to, Oxygen will probably not be renewed because I'm just not that into the whole "fitness competition" scene anymore. I lean more toward the "health and fitness" lifestyle.

Happy reading.
~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Oh boy, fasten your seatbelts! It's going to be a bumpy post.

Oxygen seems to change editors every couple of years. The quality comes and goes, depending on the editor. And to be quite honest, the definition of quality changes by what your goals are. While some are "sick to the back teeth" of hearing about competition coverage, I'm "starving" for more coverage of women's competition. But competition is my goal, so that's why. I know not everyone has that goal.

I had an original subscription when it first came out. Soon after, there were too many sex articles. It basically became Cosmo, with some workouts. I cancelled the subs. My reason for not subscribing now, is all the Hydroxycut ads. Hydroxycut, MuscleTech really, in my opinion, has purchased that magazine in the form of advertising. The "Special Reports" that are sponsored by MuscleTech are nothing more than printed infomercials, with paid representatives.

I take exception to the statement that the competitors starve themselves to the final weeks of competition. You can't do that...that's a recipe for fat gain. Those competitors are still eating about 1400 calories a day at that point (I'm at 1550 normally, to grow muscle), and eating every 3 hours. Yes, you cut carbs. But you are talking about the final 7 days pre-contest. When you cut the carbs, you up the EFAs in omega 3's and 6's. Fat, at that point, hardens you up and makes you look buff. There are so many tricks that are employed that final week. They are not lifelong, they are for a purpose. A temporary purpose. Could a person live a healthy life on that diet year round? In general no....but I bet it would still be healthier than the typical obese American who is content to waste their lives and youth deteriorating on the couch, doing nothing. But that's beside the point, because competitors don't choose to follow that diet year round. Unless they have a modeling contract, and get paid to stay photo shoot lean year round. And photo shoot lean still isn't competition lean.

Does cutting carbs make you bitchy? YOU BETCHA!!! LOL That's why so many acceptance speeches thank their spouses for supporting them. (Male competitors do this too.) Again, it's temporary.

But I digress. For me, a subscription to Oxygen isn't worth it. I do buy the occasional newsstand issue. For example, the copy with Jelena on the cover (May issue? April?) I "had" to buy that one, because she has the same e-consultant I do, MsFit. That was just too cool for me! But there's still not enough competition coverage for me, so I opt for Iron Man mag, for the training articles, and continue on with a void in my life for female competition coverage. I just have to get that info online.

Snazzy--Just checked out your pictures. You look fantastic.

Bunbun--It depends. I think its worth it. I love some of the articles and some I don't. They do have tons of ads for diet products but who really cares! I think that they are pretty balanced with the information they present. Why don't you buy an issue or two on the newsstand before deciding if its for you?

Tracy

Good idea, Tracy. I actually finally found the magazine at a newsstand last week, but didn't buy it--it was an issue that was all about pregnancy, which I'm not and won't be! :) I'm not looking for info on competitive fitness, though, so if that is mainly the focus (and it's not clear from the answers here that it is...), it won't be for me. But yeah, I'll check out a few issues first.

Yes, competitive fitness is the main focus. All the models featured in weight training articles and other articles are fitness competitors past and present.

The question of whether it is good to have as role models women who can only hang on to the ideal physique through excesses of all sorts of behaviour, and then only be able to maintain it for competition week, seems to me to be key. Is that worth your money?

Truthfully, I have always found more inspiration, accurate info and encouragement from Cathe's DVDs and from the women like me who share experience and advice on these forums.

I am not at all offended by any contrary opinions others express on this issue. I don't feel it to be a bumpy ride at all. I am not emotionally attached to whether people buy this magazine or not. I just know how I feel about it, that's all!

Whatever!

Clare :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.