Overwhelmed and unmotivated!

stephl

Cathlete
Ugh, we are moving back to the States in a couple weeks and I am totally overwhelmed with things that must be done before the movers come, the moving process, getting resettled in the US, etc., etc., etc.! And I am completely umotivated to exercise. I think I'm going to have to put working out on the back burner for a couple months - I just can't fit it all in, and I will have a period of several weeks where I won't have any access to exercising (other than walking) at all. I feel like I'm just saying "I give up", but it's causing me more stress and anxiety trying to fit everything in. When I do try to workout I keep getting distracted by my "To-Do" list, or thinking of yet another thing that must be added to the list. Exercise is not satisfying right now, it just feels like one more thing to be done during the day on top of my already miles long list.

I feel like I'm failing and throwing in the towel. How have others dealt with a major life change/disruption? Is it OK to just lay off myself for awhile?

I am hoping to join a gym that looks good near my in-laws (where we will be staying for several months while getting resettled.) Hopefully I'll be able to start there by mid-March. I don't feel I'm quitting permanently, I just can't make it work at the present. ;( ;(

Stephanie - I think you need to cut yourself some slack:) This is a HUGE move you're undertaking (believe me, I know - I've done it). If you can't fit exercise into the equation, then don't beat yourself up over it. If you can fit in a walk here and there, and are able to join that gym when you move back to the States, then I think that's fine.

Concentrate on the move and get back to working out when you can. I don't think anyone can accuse you of quitting:)

If you can't concentrate on working out right now, give it a rest. You will get back to it. With that said, can you buy yourself an exercise band or 2 so you can use that in lieu of weight training while the rest of your exercise equipment is in transitition/storage? They are small so I'm thinking they would be okay to not pack away and ship to the states ahead of time like the rest of your stuff. It's also something you could use while you stay at your inlaws in addition to the gym if you do join. You could also do plyo moves on your own in addition to the walking for cardio.:)

Hang in there, moving is so stressful. Your chest hurts, you eat to much and you just lay awake worrying. Can you tell I've been there. Make the move and when that is taken care of, you can start "moving" in a different way. Be kind to yourself and realize that everything has is time and place. Exercising is not your first priority right now. When you need to decompress, go for a brisk walk and breathe deeply.

Cheryl

>Hang in there, moving is so stressful. Your chest hurts, you
>eat to much and you just lay awake worrying. Can you tell
>I've been there. Make the move and when that is taken care
>of, you can start "moving" in a different way. Be kind to
>yourself and realize that everything has is time and place.
>Exercising is not your first priority right now. When you
>need to decompress, go for a brisk walk and breathe deeply.
>
>Cheryl

Oh Cheryl, you just described how I'm feeling to a T! :eek: That's another thing that's been making it very hard for me to exercise - I'm not sleeping at night, laying awake worrying about things. I've got lists everywhere!

It's going to take 2-3 months before we have our shipment (has to go by sea all the way from England to Seattle, clear customs, go into storage until we have a house, etc.) So not only are we getting ready to move, I'm also trying to decide what to pack in our suitcases to get us through the next few months (mostly clothes, but also other stuff.) We're going to have extra baggage at the airport, for sure. We'll probably look like refugees with our entire lives in our suitcases.

Thanks for the support and advice, everyone. I'm just going to give myself a break for the next few weeks, and just concentrate on what needs to be done every day.

Cheers! Only 3 more weeks to go.

I agree. Give yourself a break. What you're going through is stressful enough without adding more to it. If I reach a particularly hectic time in my life the one thing I do usually cut back on is my workouts. Sometimes it's nice to have the break both physically and mentally. Once everything is back to normal I pick it up again. You're going to be plenty busy so just do what you need to do and when things are settled get back into your routine.:D

What are you afraid of by *not* working out?? It's actually good to give yourself a few weeks off occasionally. You'll be able to regain your fitness level. I've done that many time before.

I have quite a overly stressed out life right now - though nothing as HUGE as yours.

I have been having some horrible chest pains too and not sleeping much. Though I haven't been getting to my workouts, I decided it will defnintely keep my stress down if I do, so I am going to prioritize a bit differently the next few weeks.

I know my favorite way of getting in some good exercise without losing any of my "thinking" time is to run with my Ipod on. Love music, the beat and running - and I can make my "To Do" list in my head while I run.

If you have a few moments here and there and can walk to something that helps "ease" your mind, a little may go a long way . . . ;-)

Good luck with your move - remember there is always tomorrow to take care of what you cannot today :)

I hear you on your sentiment. I do taxes during tax season, and work lots and lots. It is so stressful, but having extra money is huge. I am managing to workout although not as much as I usually do. But, the big thing that is suffering for me right now is food. I am eating junk and too much of it. Too many calories, and I'm discouraged. I don't have the emotional reserves to pull myself up. I don't know what to do. In the last six months I lost almost 20 pounds and now I'm creeping back up on the scale. I've regained 5. Where to go for the strength to resist?
Heather

I don't mean to be the voice of "unreason" here.....(if there is such a word), but I think we all deal with stress in our lives differently. I know when things get particularly tough in my life, there's nothing like a kickbox workout! It really gets all of that anxiety and frustration out and helps me move on and be more productive in other areas of my life. However, as the others mentioned above, it won't kill you to take a little time off from working out. We are all different and only we know what is the best thing for us to do.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.