Overhead press vs. front press?

geomom

Cathlete
Hi, I was doing my 1RM tests for shoulders today and was confused on the difference between exercise 621 which is "Alternating Seated Overhead Shoulder Press" and exercise 675 which is "Seated Front Press Alternating Arms (elbows forward)". The pictures in the pdf file make it look like the same exercise. Can anyone clarify, please?

I guess no one knows? Since the second exercise, the Seated Front Press, doesn't come until disk 13, I'll have some time to figure this out. But if someone who has completed their 1RM remembers what they did, please let me know!!

My guess is that a "front press" is a db press done with the elbows forward rather than to the side.

I guess no one knows? Since the second exercise, the Seated Front Press, doesn't come until disk 13, I'll have some time to figure this out. But if someone who has completed their 1RM remembers what they did, please let me know!!

Oh I hope she answers because I always thought that it was as Kathryn said..positioning of elbows but then I read it was the difference between an O/H Press (so you can "just see wts overhead") and putting something up on a shelf - more forward....Now Im confused...I also wonder if all the trainers call the different variations & exercises what they have learned and maybe there isnt any one standard name for all these things!

Confused myself I think! :eek:

Yes, when doing my 1RM for these exercises, I was trying my best to keep my weights more "forward, like putting clothes on a shelf". But it was quite difficult to do that with my elbows forward and really felt like a standard overhead press with weights held parallel (as opposed to in-line which is how a front press is normally done). Hence the question.

I like that website, too! I didn't see a dumbell front press so I'm thinking it's going to be the same exercise as the overhead press. We'll find out soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.