Over exertion during exercise?

ATC1986

Cathlete
Is it really a bad thing when 10 minutes after a workout I'm light headed? After my workout this morning, I got light headed in the shower. Wondering if it is over exertion or nutrition related. Any input?

Hi -
I'm certainly not a doctor , but I've had some experience with swings in my blood pressure [ mostly into the low end ] so I've also felt light headed after working out at times , but this is just one of many possibilities . Do you have a way to check your BP at home ? I really think it's good to know your blood pressure ranges especially when you max your heart rate out with exercise on a regular basis . Needless to say , if this happens to you with any regularity , please have it checked out !

Just wanted to say , I'm a newbie , and it's so nice to meet you and all of the other ladies on this forum !

Hope this helps -
Kate

This has happened to me and I have been thoroughly checked out by a dr. With an EKG, holter monitor, heart sonogram and other things I am sure I cannot remember :confused: anyway, I am perfectly healthy.

Whenever this has happened to me, I'd attributed it to over-reaching (see Cathe's current article on this) as well as needing to eat and/or needing to hydrate. Also, my doctor told me to lay down and take it easy and relax until it passes.

All this being said, if it happens again or with regularity I would definitely see your doctor...but as in my case, it is very rare and not serious.

Blessings

I had this happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I went for an evening run and it was really hot. I was properly hydrated but I missed an afternoon snack. The first half of the run went well but I tanked on the second half. I got home and took a shower. When I got out of the shower I got light headed. Since I was properly hydrated, I figured it had to be my missed snack.

Last week I did the exact same thing except I ate something before my run and I felt good.

I have noticed when I go way over my max rate I feel really bad after the workout. Are you using a heart rate monitor?

Also worth considering is salt intake. If you're eating 'clean' you may not be getting enough salt - it can make me feel pretty dizzy if I stand too quickly. Just 1/4 teaspoon helps.
Weird when we have been told all our lives to cut back on it!

Light headed/over exertion

This is an interesting thread.

It's a gentle reminder for me to have my monitor all the time.
I do not always wear it:eek::eek::eek:. I know it's bad :eek:

That being said I check my pulses from time to time.
The only moment I felt light headed was at my first attempt of TTM:D:D:D
I did pause the player for 30 second, sat and walked again for 30 seconds.
I was fine afterwards. This was a shock for me :D

I have done TTM on numerous occasion as it's one my favourite and never had any issue.

As tracy advised, if it happen often, please go see your doctor.

I would like to add that some people who have diabetes lingering in the familly background need to keep the sugar level constant all the time.
Some need a reasonable sugar level in the body to be able to exercise. if the sugar level fluctuate too often and get low it can affect your performance. This is not the case for me.

If this is the case for you, please get your sugar level checked.
I do check mine from time to time. I am going to see my doctor next week as a routine.
All good though ;-)

All the best,

Last edited:
Sounds like you might have had either low blood sugar or were dehydrated. I take a small dose of potassium to help with hydration (check with your dr. for that.) and I have a tiny snack before my workout. Also, you might have just been sick.

I hope you feel better now.

Alisha

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure I'm hydrated and blood sugar is ok (diabetes runs on both sides of my immediate family)

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure I'm hydrated and blood sugar is ok (diabetes runs on both sides of my immediate family)

Thanks ATC1986 for sharing! Do not let your familly health background put you off whatever exercise you want to do!

Also please let your doctor know if you do cardio fasting.
I do my cardio first thing in the morning without any issue. I know this is not for everyone.

All the very best,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.