other cardio workouts

fitat49

Cathlete
Hello everyone! Can anyone recommend any advanced cardio tapes? Either step or kickbox. I have all Cathe's but need some more variety until the STS cardio comes out. Thanks !! Lori

I have two words for you: Amy Bento
She rocks! Her website is (www.nrgfitness.net). There are nice long clips of her workouts there. If you do a search here, I'm sure you'll find lots & lots of commentary about her different dvds.

Another option would be Kelly Coffey Meyer. I don't care for her step-kickboxing, but I enjoy some of her other workouts. Her website is www.coffeyfit.com

HTH!

what does anyone think of CHristi Taylor?
I LOVE her! Her choreography and the way she cues is amazing! She is one of the best at it. They are fun workouts. Most of her workouts are split into halves, so you can do a quick --25 minute workout or a 50 minute. I like that about her workouts.

PS - it is brain workout as well as a physical one...you really have to think about the moves!

I second Amy Bento. I just tried her "In the Ring" kickbox workout and was great! I think she is right up there, intensity-wise, with Cathe.

Sorry, can't help you with Christy Taylor as I've never done any of her workouts.

Christi and Amy are both great. Amy's is more intense and complex with less breakdown. Christi is great at cueing and she uses recognizable music. Her workouts are lots of fun. Amy and Christi are also probably the best at hi/lo although I like Rob Glick for hi/lo as well. If you're looking for kickbox, I would go with Amy (In the Ring or Hi/Lo Cardio Knockout). If you need better cueing and more breakdown, go with Christi. Amy's may take a little more time to learn but it's worth it. Christi is a little more dancy where Amy is more Athletic.

As I mentioned, I really like Rob Glick. His Amazing Step Styles and Amazing Cardio Combos (step and hi/lo) are great. Rob is great at layering and he makes it easier to learn complex choreography.

If you're looking for complex step choreography, you could try Patrick Goudeau. Not a lot of breakdown, very tricky choreography and he says "Oh my gosh" a lot (in some more than others) but he is lots of fun and I love his choreography (very dancy, complex and lots of turns).

Marcy

I also have all of Cathe's cardio but I also have a lot of non-Cathe step, which I use for variety. I agree with those that recommend Amy Bento's step. Of her three step DVDs, I'd recommend ASC2 and ASC3; the music and choreography are good and they are fairly intense. I don't like the original ASC because of the camerawork (the angles and isolated body-part shots make it very hard to follow!)

My other current favorites are:

Seasun Zeiger -- Rock Steady Step
Deirdre Morris -- Tap Less, Step More
Sharon Twombly -- Athletic Step Jam
Pam Cosmi -- Steppin' In Rhythm
Rob Glick -- Amazing Step Styles

As for Christi Taylor, I have most of her step DVDs. I enjoy them, and I think they are worthy additions to any step library. I'd rate her as high intermediate, rather than advanced. However, Christi does have a couple of major drawbacks for me (although these don't seem to bother some): 1) she teaches new moves by saying "Watch me" (I cringe every time I hear this!!) and 2) she does a LOT of TIFT'ing (taking it from the top). For those reasons, I don't use her workouts very much.

Hope that helps!

Amy rocks! Tracey Staehle is also really good (www.fitbytracey.com). And Kimberly Spreen's Absolute Kickboxing is one of my very favorites--I'm not much into her other stuff, it's too short, but I will never ever get tired of Absolute KB.

Hi there,
I just did Gin Miller's Intense Moves! I had forgotten what super workout this is! It uses a step for power ( exlosive) moves and offers 3 levels of intensity. ~deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.