Opinions on Lasiks

kathryn

Cathlete
I've been contemplating getting Lasik surgery done, but have heard so many conflicting opinions about it. My eye doctor (who gets a kickback for recommending people, I'm sure!) is really for it. His receptionist (who also gets kickbacks for referring people) is also all for it (according to her, the are NO drawbacks. She also gave me a lot of info, but it's all from doctors who do the procedure, and who of course are going to promote it.) The idea of waking up and not having to find my glasses in order to see clearly is very appealing. On the other hand, a colleague of mine read a scientific article recommending against it, and citing problems like loss of periferal vision. What have you all heard, or, if you have had it done, experienced?
Thanks!

I had PRK in 1996

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-00 AT 04:06PM (Est)[/font][p]I can't specifically comment on LASIK, but I had it's predecessor, PRK, done to both eyes in 1996. It was one of the best things I've ever done. There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not thankful for my vision. For me, this surgery was a miracle. It was one of my motivating factors in deciding to devote all my volunteering efforts to the Guide Dogs for the Blind School here in San Rafael.

PRK differs from LASIK in that the corneal reshaping is actually done on the surface of the cornea, whereas with LASIK, a flap is cut into the cornea and the reshaping is done below the surface. With PRK, the results evolve slowly over a few weeks after the surgery, and there is major discomfort during the first 48 hours after the surgery (as in "WHERE IS MY VICODIN????") With LASIK, the results are immediate and there is significantly less discomfort.

In 1996, LASIK was still considered experimental and not FDA approved, and I was considered a good candidate for PRK, so I went that route. My results have been great. I see about 20/40 separately in each eye, but combined, I'm 20/20 - 20/30.

As I understand it, night vision is the biggest problem for refractive surgery patients. My night vision is slightly less than perfect, but I'm able to drive just fine. For me, the real test is when I have to drive in an unfamiliar area at night, and I've never had a problem. I have no problems with my peripheral vision.

If you are considering this, you should go for a consultation and see if you are a candidate. Not everyone is. Someone in my office was actually encouraged to NOT have it done because of the size of his pupils. There are so many facilities out there doing this now, so it's important that you find someone reputable. In the San Francisco area, there was a facility that was the subject of a lawsuit because they were re-using the scalpel blades on multiple patients. (Their excuse was that the patient would be assured of "tested" blade.) They also did a report on the news about how some people are not good candidates, and while a responsible facility will turn that person away, another facility will gladly perform the procedure on them, even if it means a poor result. My advice is to do as much research as you can.

Sorry to make this so long. Best of luck with your decision!

Our secretary at work used to work for an eye doctor and she thinks that anyone contemplating it is insane, so read into that what you will. She said the likihood of getting permanent halos is too great. My eyes are changing at too rapid a pace to even consider it yet (though I mentioned it once and she nearly bit my head off), but the thought sure is wonderful. Especially since my job will only cover one eye visit per year, and I'm on my second new pair of glasses since late January and just noticed things getting "fuzzy" again. Too much time staring at a computer screen trying to make lecture handouts and overheads, I think. You can probably relate.

The wife of someone I work with had it done, though, and has nothing but good to say about it.

Q for Kimberly....

>If you are considering this, you should go for a consultation
>and see if you are a candidate. Not everyone
>is. Someone in my office was actually encouraged to
>NOT have it done because of the size of his pupils.

Out of curiousity, was this person encouraged not to have Lasik due to their pupils being too large or too small? Since I do vaguely think about this surgery for the future, and was once told by my eye doctor that I had the largest pupils he had ever seen (I cannot, for instance, wear hard contact lenses because I would see a circle), I'm thinking I should log this information. Thanks.

Answer for Karen N

Too big. He was told that they are coming out with some sort of new laser that would accommodate larger pupils, so he's going to wait.

I had Lasik surgery in May of 98 and have not regretted it for an instant! I now see 20/15 in each eye, and I am still amazed by this on a daily basis. I always wondered if after I had the surgery the novelty would wear off, and I'd take my vision for granted. Absolutely not! It still feels like such a gift to me.

On the downside, I do have some night vision problems. Not halos, but rather a starburst effect off of light sources; especially oncoming headlights. I had starbursts to a lesser degree prior to surgery when wearing glasses or contacts. While it's a little distracting, it certainly doesn't prevent me from night driving. It's hard to explain, but even though I now see bigger starbursts, my night vision is much sharper and clearer than it ever was with glasses or contacts. So, reading street signs and such is SO much easier. This is because the laser was better able to correct my astigmatism than glasses or contacts ever could. So, a little trade off here and there, but nothing that has caused me a second of regret.

That said, it's important to realize that this is a pretty major deal with some pretty major risks involved. I mean, it's your eyes we're talking about!! I was plenty scared before I had it done. I did tons of research and saw more than one doctor before committing. Talk to people that you know who have had it done. Get recommendations for doctors. Have a consultation, or two, or three! The more you know, the better you'll feel about making the decision.

Best of luck to you! :)

Hi Kathryn!

I know Cathe just had the surgery done herself I believe in just the past year or so. I know she posted that she was very happy with her results and I think she had a pretty good size post talking about it. If you can't find the post, let me know & I'll see if I can find it for you. I would love to have it done also. Does anyone know if they do it yet to make one eye farsited and one nearsited, like Mono-Vision? I have mono vision in my contacts & it works great for far away and up close.I wouldn't want to be dealing with bifocal glasses!!:-cool (even though I'll be a Granny in June! :D) Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Hi Kathryn!

I had the Lasik procedure done two years ago - the company I went with does a free consultation in which they geographically 'map' the surface of the cornea. From that, they can tell you in a rough percentage estimate, how much correction they can achieve with the surgery. For me, it was a 90% chance I would see 20/20 or better, and 95% 20/40 or better. Since this procedure is relatively simple, with no stitches, I decided to go for it. Like some others have said - what a blessing! Worth every penny. Another thing that I liked about this company, was that if there were complications, all expenses for any other procedure would be covered, including travel.

Just another opinion - best wishes in making your decision.

Cheers!
Colia

Hi,
My husband had Lasiks surgery as soon as it was approved here in the U.S. His vision went from 20/400 to 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. He has never regretted doing it. The only thing he notices is that when he is tired, the oncoming car lights look a little starry. He keeps trying to talk my sister into doing it. Good luck!

Hi Kathryn,

I had the LASIK surgery done almost 3 years ago now and it was the best thing I have ever done. It took me a long time to go ahead with it though. I had read all the horror stories and was generally very squeamish about the idea. I was also not having any trouble with wearing contacts. My husband was the one who suggested I do it. I completely understand your hesitation.

I went to a clinic where they weren't trying to "sell" me on why I should do it. In fact, they were questioning "why" I wanted to. This was a refreshing approach to me and I really appreciated it. They aren't the kind of doctors that have a "sale" on Lasik surgery! Have you seen those? Anyway, they spent a good deal of time with me to explain everything and answer all questions that I had. I came back about 3 weeks later and had the surgery done. They did both eyes on the same day which I preferred. That night I could see the TV without glasses, something I hadn't been able to do since 4th grade! It was wonderful! After two weeks, I had 20/20 vision.

I do not have any of the night vision problems at all. Occasionally, when my eyes get really tired, the sharpness of my vision deteriorates but overall, I have no problems. I highly recommend at least going to check it out. (I don't work for an eye doctor nor have I ever so I have nothing to gain from giving you a glowing report except that it has been great for me.)

To me, the worst part about it was that I couldn't wear eye makeup for a week afterward. I felt so weird going out without makeup! The second worst part was the solution they used to clean my eyes before numbing them. I thought they put sand in my eye! Email me if you have other questions and Good Luck if you go forward with it!
Joyce

Check this out

Hi Kathryn,

There's also another procedure which will correct vision but is not LASIK, it's called Clear Lens replacement. Not sure of all the details but here's a link with some info on it:

http://www.stlukeseye.com/clr.htm

A friend of our had this done (it's an implant of a new lens into your eye) and he loves it. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. I too have contemplated having some type of surgery but haven't done so yet. It would be so nice to not have to mess with contacts and glasses all the time!

Bev K.

Hi Kathryn:
I also did the Lasik. I am also happy with it.
I love waking up in the morning and seeing the clock.
I had mine done in Canada I found it cheaper but it was a pain to go back and forth for the check ups.
I hated wearing glasses, I would need them for distance but not for reading so I would lose them alot. I found that contacts dried my eyes and I could not read with them any way.
I could see about 20/20 now sometimes 20/25.
The doctors check for everything the first visit took hours they do all kinds of tests to make sure that your eyes are healthy and to make sure that I was a candidate for the procedure.
I was fine with all the tests and everthing. and I was even fine on the day of the lasik. But once I went into the room boy did I feel nervous, they offer a seditive at first I thought I did not need it but I took it anyway I was glad I did.
It was over quickly. And now it will be a year soon and I do not miss the classes at all.
I had friends that thought I was crazy but I wanted to do it.

No regrets.
Good luck
Diane

RE: DITTO SANDIE!

Wow, Sandie, if I were to write a reply, it would just be a duplicate of yours. I had a strong astigmatism, had lasik surgery, now have 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other (my only difference from Sandie), have the hard to describe halo's (because they aren't really halo's) at night and are not annoying enough to say that it was not worth having the surgery, have no regrets about the surgery, and agree that thorough research should be done both on the procedure and the doctor doing it before you sign at the dotted line.

Good luck with your decision Kathryn!

Do your homework.

I too had it done in May of this year. I had a severe astigmatism (over 8 diopters in each eye) and near-sightedness. 20/800 or something. My eye doctor told me that everyone sees the same after a certain measurement, we are all just blind!
Anywho, my Dad also had it done. His eyes are just as bad only 22 years older. He did loose a tiny bit of distance vision but is so happy he can't stand himself. I am now 20/20 in each eye (although time of day, eye strain, and dryness sends it between 20/15 to 20/25). I have the little night-vision halos that everyone talks about, but you don't notice them after the first week. To me it is the single biggest miracle in my entire life and I thank God for it every day. I was legally blind without my glasses and contacts. It made skiing, swimming, hiking a nightmare. I was forever losing a contact and finding myself stranded. (Ski patrol had to take me down in a meat wagon once because my contact went flying out and I fell on my glasses in my fanny pack and broke em. Nightmare.) The surgery took less than 10 minutes, no pain at all.

I suggest you do the following:
(1) Get more than one consultation and go to people who do them for free or refund your money if you don't decide to do it. There are definite factors that rule you out. There are also new lasers and treatments down the road that an honest doctor will tell you to wait for.

(2) Go to a board certified doctor who has done AT least 500 or more surgeries. Check them out with the Medical Board in your state. I am told it is true that it is very easy to take a five hour class and rent the laser. I went to a doctor who does nothing but LASIK, has done thousands, and had no complaints filed against him.

(3) Trust your gut factor! If you don't like the feel or treatment you receive, can it. There are many many qualified doctors out there now doing this. Get on the internet and search your local papers for any stories run about the doctor(s) you are considering.

(4) Chat up the people in the waiting room! There are lots of follow up appointments associated with LASIK and if you go to someone who does alot of them, you will have lots of patients to interview.

I was really scared when I had it done, but not because I didn't trust the doctor. The idea just scared me. But having done it, it was a walk in the park. Good luck with your decision! Don't do it until you are absolutely sure you trust your chosen Dr.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.