Opinions Needed - STS or Body Beast

New50

I currently recommitted to working out and a good nutrition program for fat loss (I'm 60ish lbs overweight). I've started a rotation of mainly heavier weights, and adding an extra day of just glute work to my rotation. In about 3 weeks I would like to commit to either doing the STS rotation or Body Beast. For those of you who have done both, which would you recommend I do first? Regardless of either that I go with, I plan to add extra glute work to the rotation.

I appreciate any thoughts around the two rotations!

I do like both sets. I love Meso 1&2 of STS. Meso 3 is hard for me to get through. The sets are very short, and the rest periods are very long. (I am easily bored) The workouts are over an hour. I've done STS only twice, because of Meso 3. Both times I've done the squat rack dvds. I've done Body Beast once. Some of the workouts I enjoyed more than others. Sagi's leg workout is difficult, it's very fast, so there is a cardio effect. I did get great results with Body Beast, but sometimes he moves very quickly. So, for me, it's half dozen one, six the other. If and when I do STS again, I will do Meso's 1 & 2 and do my own thing for Meso 3. JMHO.

Last edited:
Hi New50...I loved sts and had great results, but like Karen said, workouts are long,( but as an old guy I needed the 2 min)!! I didn't get thru Bodybeast. I thought the tempo was too fast, so I copied the workout on paper and did my own pace. Many forum users loved it and had great results, but I found it boring and gave it up after 4 or 5 weeks. I may have had a bad attitude and someday may try again. The sessions are shorter however and less time consuming and that makes it easier to fit in to a day. But sts is only 3 days and Bodybeast is 6!!!

I've done STS 4 times, and BB once. As others have said, STS are long workouts, BB are much shorter. I always gain weight when doing STS - probably due to workout length (hungrier? less energy for the rest of my day? who knows). BB gave me better aesthetic results, but I know that's not everything. Short strength workouts plus conditioners seem to suit me.

Are you new to lifting heavy? If so, I think STS is a better guide to strength training.

Because you have a goal of 60lbs to lose, I think either would work, but the weight loss will mainly be down to nutrition. Very good luck - we'll be interested to know what you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done both. If I were looking to lose weight, I would probably start with STS if you have the time. Meso 1 is tough-lots of endurance exercises (push-ups galore), which will give you a good foundation for the later meso cycles. Also, Cathe gives excellent pointers and examples of lifting correctly-the Beast figures you probably already know what you're doing. After you get through STS you could do BB as an alternative and to keep mixing things up.

Beth

They're both good. BB is easier, in my opinion. I know Sagi annoys some people, but I found him to be a loveable lunk of a meathead :)

BB workouts are shorter, STS are longer, some go a bit more than an hour, and if you add the extra stretch it's another 15 minutes. I don't recall BB being much more than 45 minutes. If i recall, BB only has one cardio day, and it is more of a cardio/weights circuit type thing, If you're going to miss cardio, you might want STS because it gives you more days for that.

They're both good programs, though. I'll probably do another round of BB at the beginning of 2016.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still going to think about which to do first.

I have lifted weights for many years, but never did a specific rotation except when I worked with a personal trainer five years ago. I am ready to commit to a physique changing journey!

Thank you all for your replies. I'm still going to think about which to do first.

I have lifted weights for many years, but never did a specific rotation except when I worked with a personal trainer five years ago. I am ready to commit to a physique changing journey!
Hi New50,
Congrats on your commitment to yourself!
Thanks to all for the great thread.
STS is fabulous. I've never done BB.
I do have one thought for you. Since you say you've got 60 lbs to lose, I feel like if you could reallocate some of the time spent doing isolation exercises in these programs (triceps kickbacks, myriad variations of biceps curls, etc.) to doing more of the big, compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, etc.), it might hasten your physique change. Big movements = more muscle groups involved and more calories burned. The STS leg workouts will burn some serious calories, for sure, and Meso 1 really keeps going at a good clip. But later on, the long sets of biceps curls and long rests... just not sure that's what you need the most of right now. JMHO. Take it for what it's worth.
Since you're looking to do some extra glute work, have you considered Get Glutes? I've never done it, but I know some forum members have. It's total body strength training -- I think it's mostly big compound moves with extra glute work and probably a smattering of isolation exercises (not sure). I think they have a free 14-day trial.
Whichever program you choose, high fives and again, congrats! Keep us posted on your progress and never hesitate to reach out if you need extra encouragement!
Roz

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.