One Year After Hip Replacement

KaylaN

Today is my one year anniversary since I had my hip replacement. All I can say is wow! I am absolutely amazed at what I am able to do. I can do ALL of Cathe's workouts with no modifications! The last several weeks I have been having a blast doing all my favorite step workouts. A year ago I honestly thought I would never be able to do these workouts.

I have my one year check up in two weeks. I just pray all is well with the joint. It feels great. My doctor would have a fit if he knew the workouts I've been doing. Hiit, Plyo, Step.......oh well. I'm having fun!

Today is my one year anniversary since I had my hip replacement. All I can say is wow! I am absolutely amazed at what I am able to do. I can do ALL of Cathe's workouts with no modifications! The last several weeks I have been having a blast doing all my favorite step workouts. A year ago I honestly thought I would never be able to do these workouts.

I have my one year check up in two weeks. I just pray all is well with the joint. It feels great. My doctor would have a fit if he knew the workouts I've been doing. Hiit, Plyo, Step.......oh well. I'm having fun!

That's amazing, Kayla! So happy for you. Congrats on the achievement!

It's been a while since I've posted. I logged in and just noticed I'm KaylaN and a new member! Did I miss something? My user name is Mackenzie and I've been posting for years. Just not recently.

I have my one year anniversary since my hip replacement on Friday, November 6th. I had a partial replacement done. I'm there with you Kayla on how nice it is to be able to do HiiT, Tabata, Step and not be in such pain. I don't have my normal range of motion back with that hip. I keep at it and it gradually continues to get better but I'm not feeling real confident that I'll ever be as flexible as I was before I started having issues. How is your range of motion in that hip. Did you have a full or partial hip replacement? This might sound silly but do you hear your hip at all moving over the tendons, ligaments, and muscle?

Congrats and glad your surgery was a success and that you are doing great!
Brenda

I have my one year anniversary since my hip replacement on Friday, November 6th. I had a partial replacement done. I'm there with you Kayla on how nice it is to be able to do HiiT, Tabata, Step and not be in such pain. I don't have my normal range of motion back with that hip. I keep at it and it gradually continues to get better but I'm not feeling real confident that I'll ever be as flexible as I was before I started having issues. How is your range of motion in that hip. Did you have a full or partial hip replacement? This might sound silly but do you hear your hip at all moving over the tendons, ligaments, and muscle?

Congrats and glad your surgery was a success and that you are doing great!
Brenda

Gotta change my username. My daughter's name is Kayla (actually spelled Kaila), I'm Karen. Not sure how that happened....lol. My daughter (11 years old) is a Cathe fan too. Maybe she hacked my account and changed things???

I had a full hip replacement. I'm pretty sure the joint is secure, but I do feel the tendons, ligaments and muscles "moving" over the joint. If that makes sense. It kind of freaked me out at first because I thought the joint was moving. But I'm pretty sure now it's tendons, etc.
Anyway, I'm right there with you. Amazed at what I can do. I've been doing EVERYTHING! Range of motion in that hip is not at 100%, but I do notice that it gets better and better! This week I've been re-visting all my favorite Cathe step workouts. Cardio Fusion, the Imaxes, Hiit, Tabata, Kickbox....you name it, I'm doing it. And doing it well! I'm just so thrilled. I especially have to be careful with side kicks and outer thigh moves. Another move that doesn't feel like I should be doing is speed skaters. Of all things. When I go over on the side that was replaced, it just feels like I shouldn't be doing it!

I have my yearly check up next Thursday. He's going to have a fit when I tell him what I'm doing. But I'm having so much fun!

Have you tried running?

Karen

Might I ask....how did you know you needed a new hip? What sent you to the MD? What were your symptoms? How was your recovery in the month after surgery?

I'm not a big runner. The running I do is in short bursts (like suicide runs:eek:). It feels fine. I think I'm more paranoid about running than anything. I'd rather do my step, HiiT, Tabata, Kickboxing instead of running. I do know exactly what you mean about feeling the tendons, ligaments, and muscles moving over the joint. It still kind of freaks me out a little but it never hurts and I remember my doc telling me that I'll hear things and its okay as long as it doesn't hurt. I can side kick but they are low and speed skaters don't bother me. Obviously can't go out as far as I used to but oh well. It's nice not having the constant pain.

Peg, I knew when I would do certain things and my hip would literally lock on me because I was bone on bone. I constantly had a stabbing pain in my groin and butt. When I broke down and went to the doc. I had no cartilage remaining in my left hip. I told him what I was still all doing and he was amazed. I'm sure Karen can attest how painful it was before surgery. My DH called me gimpy. ;)

Karen, to our new joints!! :D

Might I ask....how did you know you needed a new hip? What sent you to the MD? What were your symptoms? How was your recovery in the month after surgery?

I was in horrible pain in the joint area, lower back, and down the leg all the way to my ankle. I was working out CRAZY and just like Brenda, the doctor couldn't believe it. My family doctor ordered an x-ray and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. I was bone on bone and had a horrible limp.

Had my surgery on November 3, 2014. Did my first spinning (Spinervals) workout on December 14th. I also started using the elliptical. On January 1, 2015, I did my Spinerval Hardcore 100 workout. 100 miles on the spin bike. I think I did my first higher impact workout in May. Each month I could feel stronger and stronger. Now I feel like Wonder Woman! I can do just about anything!

Next week I am going to hit 5,000 miles since January 1st. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.