One Rep Max Testing for XTrain

emigliori

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, SNM, and Cathletes,

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed in a prior thread, but I couldn't find anything by searching. Like everyone else, I am very excited to begin Xtrain, and ordered it shortly after preordering began. I have not done STS so the concept of one rep max testing is new to me. From what I have read, the testing can take some time. Is it possible to start one rep max testing in advance of the DVD's arriving, so that I am ready to go when they get here? Would following the testing for STS that is on the workout manager be advisable, or am i better off just waiting until the DVD's arrive?

Any suggestions, advice etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

I have the exact same question. I haven't done STS either, so this is a little confusing for me! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

XTRAIN One Rep Max Testing?

You can use one rep max testing to help you with any workout, so yes you can test in advance. The only problem you will have is knowing what exercises to test for? Eventually we will have all the XTrain exercises listed in the Workout Manager, but that is several weeks away.

Kinda of an off shoot to the original question... Will there be a quick equipment/weight indicator to use for reference? I really liked that feature on High Reps to help gauge my weight and have everything ready in place.

:eek: how do we test for these I am so lost with the 1 rp max concept... i tried and i don't get it i put in the weight i use and the reps yet later i see 1 rp max weight is that the weigt i try to use??? Iam so confused!! Thanks
Jen:confused:

1RM is pretty easy to figure out using Cathe's calculator. Just pick an exercise, (let's say bicep curls). Then pick up a weight (I like to choose one that will be fairly challenging for me; say 20 pound dumbbell for example). Let's say I can do 7 reps with a 20 pound dumbbell. Just put in the info and the calculator will figure out the rest.
Then, when you print out your workout card, the math has already been done for you....

Hi laura.... Well What do i use Fior weight cus i see 1rp Wt and another weigh tso which one do i use to do my workouts??? That is what i am confused about... Thanks, And Thankyou for taking tiome out to respond I also MUST SAY You are such an inspiration.... WOW Looking GOOD GIRL ;)

Hi laura.... Well What do i use Fior weight cus i see 1rp Wt and another weigh tso which one do i use to do my workouts??? That is what i am confused about... Thanks, And Thankyou for taking tiome out to respond I also MUST SAY You are such an inspiration.... WOW Looking GOOD GIRL ;)

OK. When you get your exercise chosen, at the bottom where it says "weight", beside there is a drop down menu, so you can choose the reps.

Let's say I put in that I can use a 20 pound dumbell for 6 reps. Type in 20, then go to the drop down menu and choose 6. Then click on the "calculate and save" button.

Now, it will be saved for you, so when you go and print out a workout card on Cathe's site, there will be the list of exercises for whichever dvd workout you are doing and the weight that is recomended that you use.

Does that address your question?

And THANKS! :eek:

Hi Again... o.k. I went and di dwhat you said but i guess my questiion is... The number i get for my 1 RP is that the weight i should try to use now for all the workouts or do i still use what iam using??? And what does the 1RM Mean??? lol!!

Hi Again... o.k. I went and di dwhat you said but i guess my questiion is... The number i get for my 1 RP is that the weight i should try to use now for all the workouts or do i still use what iam using??? And what does the 1RM Mean??? lol!!

It depends on your goals and the workout. For example... Cathe's STS program. Phase 1 is to increase muscle endurance, so I believe that you start out using 60% of your 1RM. Phase 2 is hypertrophy (building muscle size), so you would increase the weight to 70% of 1 RM. Phase 3 is working on strength, so the weight is increased again to 80% of 1RM.

I wouldn't use the 1RM for all of your workouts... it would be difficult to figure all that stuff out while trying to do one of Cathe's circuit dvdd. lol

1RM means the amount of weight you can lift for one rep. Meaning... if you pick up a dumbell and do a bicep curl, for example using that particular weight, then you will not be able to do 2. Too heavy.

Awww!! Thanks ... i Get it now... so if i use say 12lb dbells and do 15 reps with it and my 1RM is say 25 I would try to do 60% off that ect.... Now how do i figure out what 60% is of that, LOL!! Ughhh I must be driving u crazy with all these questions, lol!! But i really do appreciate the help :)

Awww!! Thanks ... i Get it now... so if i use say 12lb dbells and do 15 reps with it and my 1RM is say 25 I would try to do 60% off that ect.... Now how do i figure out what 60% is of that, LOL!! Ughhh I must be driving u crazy with all these questions, lol!! But i really do appreciate the help :)

You would go
25 lbs x .60 = 15 lbs

No problem. Glad to help! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.