one legged deadlifts in Legs and Glutes

Saker

Cathlete
Hi Cathe

I am really enjoying using your videos/dvds (I am in the UK so I didn't come across them for a while) and Legs and Glutes is one of my favourites. However I am never quite sure what I should be working and where I should feel it when I do the one legged deadlift (I think that's what you call it - it's the move where it is optional to tilt forward onto just one leg or to keep your toe down on the ground.) I have used 2 x 10-15lbs for this move but I always seem to feel it more in my lower back than anywhere else although also in my calves (but that maybe just because it follows calf raises). I would appreciate your advice on how to get this right.

thanks
Ruth

Hey Ruth, I am also having a problem with these one legged deadlift. I'm not sure if my form is right or what but I'm glad you posted this. thanks.

Jenny

Hi, ladies. Not Cathe, of course, so I hope you don't mind my chiming in here. I just did this workout this morning, and the one legged deadlifts are my FAVORITE form of deadlifts. From what I understand and FEEL, it targets your hamstrings mostly. It will get your back as well, simply because of the motion and movement of the exercise. What I try to do to target the hamstrings more than the back is to keep my back straight with my natural curve in it, and when I begin the movement, concentrate on keeping my weight centered on my front heel (the working leg). If I want to target my back more than my hams, I then don't go as deeply on the move.

I hope that helps.

Gayle

Thanks for that Gayle - that's helpful, I think I must be on the right lines. I suspect part of the problem is that my upper body is not as strong as my lower so it feels it more when I am holding enough weight to work my legs. I have been stepping for several years but only just really started any upper body muscle work.

Hi Saker,

Congratulations on finding Cathe!

Obviously, I'm not Cathe either, but I wanted to make a comment on the one-legged dead lift. Doing regular dead lifts for me is rather easy. I have a very strong back and hamstrings, so I tend to use at least 40 lbs. for these. However, the one-legged deadlifts... I also found them tricky at first. My lower back has the tendency to cramp up on me some days, and doing this move really targeted that area for me. Although Cathe only mentions it as an advance modification in the video, lifting your back leg while doing the deadlift will REALLY help you target your hamstring. It brings balance-work into the equation, and that can always amp up your workout. Also, if you have good balance, this move may actually be easier than keeping both feet on the ground. I've found that it helps relieve a lot of the lower back tension I tend to have when doing this move.

Hope this help!

DB

You also want to be sure you are keeping your shoulders back and NOT rounded. Rounded shoulders lead to lower back injuries.

Good luck!
Marie

Not Cathe, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a beginner's video (Kathy Smith) that does a very similar one legged dead lifts (without the optional leg up) and they are very explicit on form, most of what's already been said above.

Do NOT round your shoulders. Keep your back straight and neutral (with that natural curve at the base of your spine). If you are feeling it in your lower back, shift your weight slightly forward. You are suppposed to feel this one primarily in your hamstring and glutes.

I also have trouble with this one if my weight is too heavy. Due to back issues, I'm really aware when I'm affecting my lower back. If you are still feeling it in your lower back with the form checks above, you may want to try it with a lighter weight to see if you can get the right muscles targeted. Then once you know you have your form, you can move back up to a heavier weight.

Again, not Cathe here, just passing on what I 've learned. Hope it helps.

Thanks everyone for your advice on this - lots of useful information here. I will try and put it into practice next time I do this workout, at least I know what I'm aiming for.

I'm feeling pleased because I have located a UK company that sells high steps - up until now I can't go over the 10in maximum height that my step can do. So that should make this video even more fun:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.