Obesity costs $147 BILLION in 2008

I also am seeing a shift where, at times, being 'bigger' is being advocated as being more 'normal'.
Yes!
There's some 'Bachelor'-like spouse-hunting reality show currently being promoted, with the protagonists all being in the 200-300 pound range. I've been immensly annoyed by the commercials for it promoting the contestants as "real" people (what, if you're not big, you're not real?:rolleyes:) or, worse, "normal" people (gee, I guess if you don't wear a size 16 or thereabouts, you're not 'normal"?:confused:). They seem to be confusing "average" (as in 'what most people are like nowdays") with "normal" (what one should be like).

(ETA: I should keep reading posts before I post. LOL! I see you mentioned "More to Love" as well. Oh, well.)

Last edited:
I don't put the entire - not even the majority - of the blame on the food companies. They give the people what they want. The sad fact is so many people WANT the big portions. They want the unhealthy fat and calorie laden dishes. While Americans may have a ton of information available, too often they choose to willfully ignore it.

I also post at another (non-fitness related) message board. I can't tell you the number of times people have asked for recipes and when they're given healthy wholesome calorie-controlled nutrient dense ones, they REFUSE to make it and REFUSE to acknowledge that it just may be tasty. They won't even try it. But they RAVE about the recipes which called for 8 oz. of feta cheese and 8 oz. of heavy cream in a pasta dish that serves four people.

Too many Americans associate eating healthfully with deprivation. It's a mental association, not a reality-based association. On the occasions they do eat healthfully, they then want to reward themselves with a "treat" for being so "good" -- said treat which usually involves something along the lines of an I Gotta Have It size of their favorite flavor at Coldstone Creamery.

The reason that super-sized portions of outlandish food combinations are available is because that's what sells. The food companies want to sell food. Period. They don't care what kind as long as it makes them money. When enough people demand healthful options, they will get healthful options. Unfortunately, not enough people are demanding it.

It's a small, but thankfully growing, segment of the population that embraces healthful eating. There is no mystery regarding how the obesity epidemic occurred. And the person themselves bears the responsibility and is the only one who can do something about it.

For me, I'm sick of the ongoing blame game. Sometimes it really is just a matter of putting down the fork and putting on the sneakers.

Ellie, DON'T do it.........................
Sorry, I can't help myself.

We need to work on obesity STARTING in CHILHOOD. I got flamed big time for this in a previous thread, so I put my fireman's hat on and have a hose ready.

Why are children drinking SODA????? Water is free. And you can refill it as many times as you want. So let's take soda and iced tea and lemonade OUT of the shopping cart.

Doritos, chips, oreos etc are NOT neccessities. Shocking, I know. You can live without them. There are plenty of alterative treats that are healthier and taste good.

I freeze bananas with a small dip of chocolate
I make my own popsicles with 100% fruit juice ( No HFCS) and the kids love them.
I buy fresh fruit and cut it up and freeze it for a nice summer snack.

Let's take the $5 box of sugar (otherwise known as cereal) out of the cart as well. And the "Fruit" snacks and poptarts etc. How about some oatmeal instead.

And why are we starting to teach kids in preschool that every party must revolve around food????

Have you ever been hungry??? There is a BIG difference between being truly hungry and wanting something to eat.

ellie

Hey, I'll drive the fire truck! Says the "bad mommy" who sent out valentines without any candy attached, makes the kids walk to the bus stop in any kind of weather, and brings nothing but bottles of water (reusable sport bottles filled with tap water) to the playground because the kids aren't going to keel over and die if they go 3 hours without a snack.

Oh Thank God there are other sane people here!!!! I am glad you are the captain of the firetruck because I am too busy holding the hose!!!! And man is it heavy!!!

The girl next door to me (very well to do family),good parents, nice people etc. She just had 5 root canals with crowns!!!!!!!!!!!! She eats those disgusting "fruit" rollups and gummi children's vitamins!!!! These are her permanent teeth Or they WERE!!!!!!

I can't protect my kids from everything bad in this world, but I am the parent, therefore I make the rules and I buy the food. It's pretty hard to eat fruit roll ups if there aren't any in the house to eat. My kids have a fruit and a vegetable with every meal. If they hate that veggie I don't force them to eat it. (I HATE brussel sprouts, asparagus, artichokes etc). But at least they have tried it. They play outside everyday after school before they do their homework and we do something active every weekend. Parks are free, walks are free, trails are free, snow is free, rain is free. We play catch and set up little course for ALL of us to play in. No competition, just fun,

There are so many ways to keep kids active for free and to help them learn to make better choices regarding food. Plus, children learn what they live, and i try to set a good example.

I am so glad I am not alone!!!!
thanks ellie

I think it is very difficult to change people who don't want to change. I have been extremely busy, so DH went to the store last night for groceries. After spending a considerable amount of money.....there is nothing he bought I am willing to eat. So off to the store I must go, sigh.

LauraMax, thank you for starting a really informative thread. I don't post much in OD anymore, but this topic is a hot button for me.

I found this article awhile back, about how French school children eat at school. Very eye opening compared to the poster (sorry, I forgot the name!) who discussed the coffee carts, etc. in school:

http://www.culinate.com/columns/deborah/french_school_lunch

I have a two year old and I want to teach her to eat well. We were going great until she turned 2 :confused: and now will only eat BREAD, but she doesn't eat chips, cookies, ice cream, candy, etc. unless it's a small amount--and not daily.

Oh, yeah, she's had a Happy Meal once. I'm proud to say she didn't like it. :D

Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.