O/T: Advice on navigating a sad new reality

Aquajock

Cathlete
Hello, fellow Cathletes, long-time Cathe fan and forum lurker here:

My husband and I have been friends of decades standing with another couple; Tina and I became friends through work in the late '90's, and Trevor and DH became friends in the mid-aughts when DH joined Trevor's gym. Throughout the years we had movie and dinner dates, miniature golf sessions, coffee dates, holiday hang-outs and the like; when DH and I moved across the country in 2016, we continued our friendship through Skype and Zoom sessions, phone calls and text exchanges, and a few blessed visits. Like DH and me, Tina and Trevor were child-free by choice, evolved into retirement, and just worked toward living our best lives separated by a continent but joined by shared interests, viewpoints, lived experiences and emotional confidences, and simple enjoyment of each other's company.

Last Sunday the unexpected and unimaginable happened: after a brief, vicious battle with lymphoma (that had been diagnosed in late December as being only in the very early stages and easily treated into remission with chemotherapy), Trevor died at the too-young age of 69. Tina shouldered the massive most of the burden of seeing Trevor through his final days: going into the hospital with a spiking fever, remaining in the hospital as his condition worsened and his lymphoma morphing into an aggressive monster, and passing away in the darkest part of Sunday morning. Trevor's brother and sisters were able to come to him in his last hours, and Trevor's and Tina's local friendship circle also rallied around.

Needless to say, DH and I are in sorrow and shock; we each feel like we have lost a soul brother. And our hearts are shattered for poor Tina; she and Trevor were/are very private, self-sufficient people, and now Tina is faced with a present and a future that no one thought of even 6 weeks ago.

I would like to ask for some reflection and advice from you all, on how best to support Tina in these new, sorrow-filled, strange and challenging days. I am terrified of doing or saying the wrong thing, of doing or saying too much, of doing or saying too little, of draining her bandwidth with too much reaching out, and of possibly drowning Tina's sorrow with my own. After receiving an unforgettably sad little text from her a few minutes after Trevor passed away this Sunday morning, I have only spoken with her once - she called later that morning, crying, and we cried together, but even in the midst of her tears she was already rallying. Her sisters-in-law and brother-in-law stayed in her area until this past mid-week. I have texted her briefly a couple of times, but didn't want to barrage her knowing that she has a very full plate of work ahead of her. And I'm reluctant to reach out to her during the Monday-through-Friday period because, again, I know she has to plow through the onerous practical mechanics in the aftermath of a spouse's death which usually can only be addressed through the work week.

I would be grateful for any insights you all might have on what to do and say, what NOT to do and say, any similar experiences you all might have had, etc. It's so sad - the one person I might turn to for advice of this kind is the one person whose sorrow vastly exceeds my own - my beloved best-friend-for-life Tina. Thank you in advance for reading, and for any advice or reflection you might offer.

Love,

Aquajock

I am so sad to hear of the loss of your dear, long-time friend. Remember that you are hurting, too, so this is an opportunity for mutual support of one-another, even though Tina was of course much closer to him.

A friend of mine lost her husband to a motorcycle accident a couple years ago, and we had many conversations around her grief process. One of the things she said is that she wished people would ask her more about her late husband. Too many people would avoid bringing him up because they were worried it would cause her pain, but she said she needed the opportunities to talk about him and what a special person he was to her.

She ended up also going to grief counseling and joined a grief support group on Facebook, as well, and she said those things were very helpful to her, too, in working through the sudden loss.

The same might help you, as well, again considering how special he was to you and your husband.

I always have found it's just helpful to ask and just listen. I think people start getting overwhelmed when friends who mean well try to take over for them instead of just asking how they can help. I know if I'm ever hurting, it always feels good to have someone just ask me if I need anything, even if at the time I feel like I can handle it myself.

I've also always been encouraged to ask myself how I'd like to be treated.

You sound like you're a wonderful friend. Again, I'm really sorry to hear of such a sudden loss like this. I hope you and your husband give yourselves time to grieve, as well.

Remember that grief shared is diminished.

Sending prayers your way.

Hi Aquajock - another long-time Cathlete lurker here (it’s been ages, hasn’t it?). I’m so sorry for your loss. So very sorry. The shock must still be setting in. Reading through your post, two things came to mind. First, you know Tina so well, you’ve been in a relationship with her for such a long time, what are the strengths of that relationship that can be capitalized on, in this situation? You mention that she’s private and independent; how have you supported each other in the past that honours that? Second, my first impulse would be to get on a plane and go stay with or near her, and simply make myself available for whatever she needs. Drive her to all the places she needs to go, pick up some groceries, provide ready-made food that she can eat when her appetite cuts through her grief, handle phone calls and making appointments, help her with altering her household (putting away his clothes, perhaps) and be a safe, trusting space for her to express her grief to. This might help you process your own grief as well.

Again, I’m so sorry you’ve experienced such a deep loss. How are you faring, in such a difficult time?

Sandra

Everyone grieves in their own way, so there’s no single answer. I let my friends know I am grieving with them, that they are not alone in their pain. i think it’s important for everyone to know their grief is also held by others. But sometimes people want to get on with things, and not have pain acknowledged in any way. And that needs to be respected as well. So you have to feel your way through it.

I am so sad to hear of the loss of your dear, long-time friend. Remember that you are hurting, too, so this is an opportunity for mutual support of one-another, even though Tina was of course much closer to him.

A friend of mine lost her husband to a motorcycle accident a couple years ago, and we had many conversations around her grief process. One of the things she said is that she wished people would ask her more about her late husband. Too many people would avoid bringing him up because they were worried it would cause her pain, but she said she needed the opportunities to talk about him and what a special person he was to her.

She ended up also going to grief counseling and joined a grief support group on Facebook, as well, and she said those things were very helpful to her, too, in working through the sudden loss.

The same might help you, as well, again considering how special he was to you and your husband.

I always have found it's just helpful to ask and just listen. I think people start getting overwhelmed when friends who mean well try to take over for them instead of just asking how they can help. I know if I'm ever hurting, it always feels good to have someone just ask me if I need anything, even if at the time I feel like I can handle it myself.

I've also always been encouraged to ask myself how I'd like to be treated.

You sound like you're a wonderful friend. Again, I'm really sorry to hear of such a sudden loss like this. I hope you and your husband give yourselves time to grieve, as well.

Remember that grief shared is diminished.

Sending prayers your way.
Kellyro, thank you for your response and insights. As luck would have it, Tina texted me shortly after I posted this and asked if we could Zoom this weekend, continuing a tradition we had built for years. I gladly said yes, and will adopt your very wise "ask and listen" mode. She is not on social media and I doubt this event will change that, but I have the feeling that, as terrible as her grief is right now, she's finding the resources from inside herself as well as in her social circle to help carry the load. Thank you again for your wise words. - AJ

Hi Aquajock - another long-time Cathlete lurker here (it’s been ages, hasn’t it?). I’m so sorry for your loss. So very sorry. The shock must still be setting in. Reading through your post, two things came to mind. First, you know Tina so well, you’ve been in a relationship with her for such a long time, what are the strengths of that relationship that can be capitalized on, in this situation? You mention that she’s private and independent; how have you supported each other in the past that honours that? Second, my first impulse would be to get on a plane and go stay with or near her, and simply make myself available for whatever she needs. Drive her to all the places she needs to go, pick up some groceries, provide ready-made food that she can eat when her appetite cuts through her grief, handle phone calls and making appointments, help her with altering her household (putting away his clothes, perhaps) and be a safe, trusting space for her to express her grief to. This might help you process your own grief as well.

Again, I’m so sorry you’ve experienced such a deep loss. How are you faring, in such a difficult time?

Sandra
Hello, Sandra/FiddleFit, it's good to "see" you again. I've opened to possibility to Tina for a visit to her at some time in the near future when she has the bandwidth for it; the presence of Trevor's family in the immediate days after his passing were at once nourishing and depleting for Tina; sometimes the amount of interaction that was naturally required put her on overload. So I'm waiting for the right time to go up there to see her. Great minds think alike <3 Thanks for your insights and comments! Love, AJ

Everyone grieves in their own way, so there’s no single answer. I let my friends know I am grieving with them, that they are not alone in their pain. i think it’s important for everyone to know their grief is also held by others. But sometimes people want to get on with things, and not have pain acknowledged in any way. And that needs to be respected as well. So you have to feel your way through it.
Hello, Vivbc, you speak wise words. I totally agree that "sometimes people want to get on with things", and I DON'T want to become one of those ghouls who prods and pries and demands DEEP MEANINGFUL CONVERSATIONS that can keep the bleeding alive. I appreciate your insight and having taken the time to comment. - AJ

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.