Nurses anyone?

jmaggs

Hello,

I don't post often, but come here almost daily. I know some of you are nurses and was hoping maybe you could help me out. I'm considering going back to school to get a BSN. I'm 29 and have been in the corporate world for 9 years. I do have a bachelor's degree already, so I would only have to take a few classes to meet the requirements.

What, in your mind, are the pros and cons of nursing today? Did you always want to be a nurse? I ask because I have only recently become interested in the idea.

Feel free to offer any info you want, good or bad:) I have a friend who is a nurse and has offered me the opportunity to shadow her.

I appreciate it!
Jen

Jen,
I've been a nurse for 18 years. I am now a practicing nurse practioner and I love it!!! I have always wanted to be a nurse and have no regrets whatsoever. Granted it was hard and still is at times. But I enjoy what I do so much it's hardly like work.

I guess my ? for you would be why did you choose or are thinking of choosing nursing? As far as cons- working in a hospital the shifts can be long and the politics (yes politics) can be grueling at times. It is such a rewarding career, but nursing isn't for everyone.

I'm not sure I've helped much. But good luck with your decision. I think only you can know if deep down this is a desire for you- then go for it!!

Catherine

I'm a nurse but have been out of it for several years now. I really couldn't say how nursing has evolved, but I found it to be a grueling, yet rewarding profession. I would take your friend up on her offer to shadow her. I worked all through high school as a nurse's aid so I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into.

There are so many options open to you. My DH is an MD and has 3 or 4 nurse practioners working with him. They seem to love what they do. They have their own clinics and see patients in follow-up. They have earned my DH's respect--he trusts them completely and would be lost without them. This option would be vastly different from a staff nurse position in a hospital but something you may want to explore.

One thing is certain--you wouldn't have any trouble finding a job. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Michele :)

Many people in school to be nurses these days are doing it as a 2nd career, so you'd have company, I'm sure.
I've been an RN since 1982, my entire working career. Never even considered it until I was a sr. in high school. I always thought law, because my father is an atty. Then I thought I'd get my BSN, go to law school and specialize in malpractice. I found out in college I really enjoyed patient care, so I figured I'd work at the bedside for a few yrs. before law school. Long story slightly shorter, the more I worked as a nurse, the less interested I was in doing any sort of work. There is tremendous versatility in nursing: hospital settings, clinics, schools, home care, etc.
My cousin and his wife are NPs and find it very rewarding. One works in an ER, the other in a fertility clinic. I really enjoy bedside nursing and have no desire to go for an advanced degree to do the same job I have. (Sounds lazy, but it's realistic).
Potential downside: the hours are long (12 hr. shifts plus your commute), depending on the job, you'll be expected to work your share of holidays and w/e's and possibly have an 'on call' commitment. This,I've found over the yrs, can also be a potential 'upside': my kids have learned that Christmas is when we're all able to be togeher. Sometimes it's Christmas morning, sometimes it's the day before or after. It's always nice to have the excuse, "I'd love to come, but I'm working that w/e" when I don't want to do something. }(
As for the politics, it's there, but it's there in any job. Some work situations are better than others depending on the mgr., co-workers, support staff and administrators, but again, that's true in any work situation.
I really do think it's the toughest job you'd ever love. Definitely take your friend up on the opportunity to shadow her, and know that's only a fraction of what you can do w/ your degree.
Good luck w/ making your decision.
Valerie

hi. i have been a nurse since 1992....at the bedside except for 2 yrs. i returned to bedside patient care because of the TREMENDOUS flexibilty and schedules that are availible. i was enrolled in a NP program, and probably will return after the raising small children phase of my life is over.

with the current shortage....i am able to pull in some serious cash with all the incentives to pick up extra shifts......but all the $$$ in the world wont help if you don't truly enjoying taking care of the sick.....and i mean REALLY sick. it can be very rewarding and at the end of the day, you have impacted so many people's lives.

There are drug companies, insurance companies, lawyers etc ( many corporate jobs) if direct patient care isnt your bag, and so many masters to go into....the university by me has a program in forensic nursing......how interesting! GOOD LUCK

Hi, Jen! I'm not a nurse *yet,* but I'm halfway through a BSN program (graduating May 2007), and thought I'd share my story. I'm 39 (actually, I'll be 40 in TWO days!!), have a husband and two daughters (14 and 10), and worked in university administration for 15 years before doing my research and figuring out how to get into nursing school. Like you, I had most of my prereqs from my first BA (English -- about as far from the science stuff as you can get!), so I was able to start right in the nursing core. Nursing school has been a huge life change -- for my whole family -- but I have not regretted my choice once. Granted, I'm not yet working in the field, but my school experiences are already very rewarding, and I love the challenges I'm facing. I am interested in many areas, enjoy what I'm learning, and I'm excited to know that I will ultimately have a lot of flexibility in shaping my career. I recognize that there are politics to deal with in nursing -- but after 9 years in corporate life (for you), and after the dramas of a university (on my end), I think that's manageable.

None of this really answers your questions, but I just wanted to say that I can relate to your thinking and the decisions you're facing...for what that's worth! I know you've gotten good info from the nurses here, and you'll get more. I'm always interested to read what they have to say!

Best wishes as you make your decision,
Allison

Thanks so much for your responses, I really appreciate it! My main reason for wanting to change directions is that I'm really interested in entering the health care field and I think nursing provides the most opportunity. I would really like to use my current knowledge of communication/writing in nursing, perhaps some form of medical writing or documentation of practices.

I read about forensic nursing too and thought that sounded really interesting!

I do have another question...are any of you familiar with the accelerated nursing programs? I'm trying to get a gage on how intense the program would be versus just attending a regular BSN program. I have a great employer now that will pay for an undergraduate degree unrelated to work (how awesome!), but I would have to obviously attend part time. I could also get all of my prerequisites using this funding, but then quit to attend an accelerated program.

Thanks again, it was great to read your stories and experiences!
Jen

Hi Jen,
I just wanted to say that nursing for me has been a great career choice. I knew I wanted to be a nurse since I was in 6th grade. I have been a nurse now for 16 years. I think it is a field that you have to love to be in. It is very flexible in that I have been able to work in many different areas, and different shifts to accomadate my family. I now work in outpatient oncology and am in school online for my masters and love it. I am not sure but online is very flexible for me in that I can study and do the work around my family. I have a few friends that I know who did an accelerated program for nursing because they had a previous degree and though it was intense it was worth it for them. I think you have to look into the programs and see what the work for them would be like. What ever you decide to do I think that you will love nursing and will find a niche for your self because with nursing there is so many different areas to work, hospitals, clinics, pharmaceutical companies, occupational health. Good luck with your decision and just know that nursing is a great field and there is a nursing shortage so I like to encourage anyone with an interest to pursue it.
I am sorry that I really didn't answer your question but I just wanted you to know that it is a great field and even though their are drawbacks like working holidays, weekends and such it is a very rewarding career, and you meet lots of people and I feel lucky to be able to help anyone when they are sick because I feel I get more from helping them than anything.
Phyllis:)

Jen,

I'm in a traditional BSN program, but I was tempted by the accelerated option. I think it's a good choice for those who can handle the lifestyle -- and how wonderful to get through the program in 18 months or so! I ultimately went with the 3 year core program because, as my academic advisor put it, you basically "sell your soul" to the accelerated program. I would have had an hour's commute, jam-packed schedule at least 5 days a week, and it sounds like you live/eat/breathe school when you do that option. Since I have a family, and wanted to keep things as easy for them as possible, I decided I'd better take the slower route.

I do have a friend who is currently at Johns Hopkins doing their 14-month accelerated BSN! It's intense, but she's thriving.

Again, not sure I really answered anything for you, but there it is!
Keep us posted!
Allison

I'm glad to hear the "sell your soul" comment. I haven't really heard any inside scoop on the accelerated programs. I'm married, but have no children, so I think the accelerated program would still be an option. I guess what does concern me is that I would have to quit my job to attend the accelerated program. Then I think, what if I don't like it! Then I'm stuck with no job and student loans to pay for. Where as, if I go part time, I can still work and take nursing courses to know for sure. I figure that if I do like it, then maybe I can quit working and finish the program as a full time student.

Well, thanks again everyone, your information has been very helpful!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.