Nurse 34 Lisa Cancer Question

Reese777

Cathlete
Lisa,

I posted before that my father has prostate cancer and you said you worked with patients that have this cancer. My father's cancer has spread to his pelvis, spine, lymph nodes, and bone marrow.

This past week we discovered his entire throat is black. It is so incredibly frustrating because we cannot get a straight answer from anyone. It's like they don't want to give you information because they're afraid you will freak out or they'll be liable for something. Mom had to demand a visit to the oncologist but thats not until Wednesday.

In your experience, do you think this could be the cancer moving to his throat?

:(

Lori

Is he on chemotherapy? I have seen some of my patients develop a blackened tongue on chemo. I personally do not think its his cancer spreading to his throat, not typical of prostate cancer. Hope this helps- I can also ask the oncologist I work for on Monday as well, to see if they can provide a bit more insight. Please keep me updated!!!-Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
-Lisa

Is he on chemotherapy? I have seen some of my patients develop a blackened tongue on chemo. I personally do not think its his cancer spreading to his throat, not typical of prostate cancer. Hope this helps- I can also ask the oncologist I work for on Monday as well, to see if they can provide a bit more insight. Please keep me updated!!!-Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
-Lisa

Lisa,

He only had two treatments of chemo - then fell and broke his hip. They have said they will not resume treatment.

Reese, I'll keep your dad and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Thank goodness for text messaging, my oncologist seems to think it is the chemo as well. Taxotere(widely used for prostate cancer) can do that to some patients. Did you know the name of your fathers chemo? Was he on a clinical trial? Sometimes those meds can do things that even the oncologist can be unsure of. Good Luck!!

I am a radiation therapist and I have seen this with some chemotherapies as well. Sometimes Pepto Bismal can do this when patient's immune systems are very weakened. Has he been taking any of that medication??
My prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time. In situations like this I like to remind all (patients and families) to really cherish every moment and spend some time every day doing something joyful, even if it is relishing a bite of your favorite food or listening to a favorite song from "back in the day" It may sound trite, but little things like that can be a positive force to help through the agonizing times.
((((((many hugs)))))

Brenda in Indiana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.