Not sure how to word this....

txteacher

I am a new user to this forum, although I have been reading the posts and watching Cathe on FitTV for many months. Guess I just got the guts to actually work out with her instead of viewing the workouts from the couch.

I am not sure how to word this question, but I am having some trouble getting past the frequent "whooping" from one of Cathe's crew members. It's not necessary to name the member, since everyone who watches Cathe knows. I do not want to mute the sound and leave the music only because it will mute Cathe's voice. I love her comments and guidance and feel that not having that would dampen the quality of my workouts. I like to count with her and to make sure that I am doing those "nasty low ends" when I should be. The "whooping" is one of my pet peeves and the #1 reason that I've always been a gym girl and not a video one.

So, I am asking if you have any advice for me. I certainly don't want to stop working out "with" Cathe. However, I find the whooping extremely annoying and am having trouble getting past it. From reading your posts on what other instructors do that is annoying, I know that you've had this experience before and wonder what you did about it. (Did you just stop doing those ones?)

Thank you in advance for the help. This is such a positive forum with so many educated people. I hope that from time-to-time I will be able to contribute and help users as much as you've helped me.

The older workouts (pre-Intensity series) have much less "background noise." I don't mind it, but there are times when I'm very aware of it.

I'm glad you are choosing to get off the couch! :7

HTH,
Lunacat

Lunacat,

Thank you for your honest answer. I will certainly check out the series you suggested.

It sure is a lot easier on the couch! Luckily, I've always been very active (running and working out at the gym). I love that high that you get from doing something for your body. It just feels so powerful. After years and years of working out at the gym, I decided to try something new (Cathe). I knew that she was the most challenging instructor for videos and I don't doubt that for one sweaty moment! I have seen great results from the month and 1/2 I've used her workouts. Pretty amazing how much progress one can get from tapes versus gym machines. Sure is true that your body needs change.

I just want to clarify...look into any workouts that were released before the Intensity series. If you need any suggestions, post your goals and lots of people will offer their advice!

Give Cathe a few weeks and she'll change your life!

Lunacat :)

I can usually tune out the whooping, but Bootcamp is one workout where this particular background exerciser is WAY too close to the microphone! When I previewed the workout, it annoyed me so much, I dreaded working out to it. It also made me dislike that particular background exerciser, when I had a pretty neutral response to her previously.

I suggest doing the "whooping" workouts at high intensity, so you are breathing hard, and can't hear the whooping as much! It works for me when I try to block out the mispronunciation of "piña colada" as "pina" colada on IMAX2.

Another suggestion is to take out your frustration by yelling at the perpetrator of the whoops, or make some kind of sound yourself when you know those whoops are coming so you can avoid them.

Well thank you so much Ms. Txteacher--I never even noticed it until your post, and then when I did IMAX2 this morning it was driving me crazy! LOL!

Maximus- Sorry to bring it to your attention! Here's something for ya- Check out Pyramid Lower Body; it's even worse! By the way, I like the humor in your posts. You're funny :)

I searched for past posts about my concern and actually found several. There is a rather long one from a couple of years ago. I had to laugh at the replies about "whooping." Many responded as to whether they "whoop" or not. Too funny! A user suggested using a loud fan to block some of the noise. She said that she could still hear Cathe but not the "background noise" as Lunacat called it.

I've been regularly doing Pyramid Upper Body and it just makes me want to scream. I know I prob. need to just relax, but I really dislike it. It's very distracting. There are just some things that just grate on your nerves, like the whole fingernails-on-the-chalkboard noise. This is that for me.

I don't know if it will make it more bearable, but it seems to me that some of the whooping is done to let Cathe know that there is only one more rep. In Bootcamp it is unbelievably annoying, but I love Cedie so it doesn't bother me too, too much.
As for the comment that the whooping is less in older workouts, I agree and disagree. I think Cedie's whooping isn't quite as bad in workouts done before the Intensity Series, but Cathe's is more noticeable. I don't really notice much whooping at all in the Body Blasts or HardCores, now that I think about it.

Anyway, sorry it bothers you. :)

I have noticed that it is done right after the reps-remaining count is given. I am sure it's one of those things that you do without even knowing it. However, on something that is taped and played over and over again, it gets distracting, not to mention annoying. I love all the crew members, including the "whooper." The energy and smile are appreciated even in the midst of the whole noise-making thing. I don't notice Cathe's whooping, maybe because from the instructor it seems almost expected from time-to-time. I am certainly not here to criticize, just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. As always, the users on this forum come through with great advice without judging. Love that! :)

Hello there. Since you've been a gym person I'm sure you know that there is usually one "whooper" in the class. I think people generally do it to inspire enthusiam and energy for the class. I teach and I do believe that is why some people in my class do it. Sometimes others cannot hear my cues because of it and they get frustrated as well. I try to look at it like the "whoopers" are really getting into my class and are kind of doing it for me. So maybe they are doing it to let Cathe know of their enthusiasm and that they like what she is teaching or maybe helping her count. No instructor likes a quiet class. It lets us know you're there and breathing and having fun. I am sorry that it annoys you so much.

I just hope you can enjoy yourself and maybe the "whooping" will eventually just become background noise? I hope you have a great day!!:)

I've been reading this and what the heck is whooping? I do Bootcamp all the time and not sure what you guys are talking about???

caf:eek:

Caf,
I don't find it all that noticable. One of the members whoops a little bit(in BC and mabye a couple of other workouts) but I would hate it if Cathe's workouts were scripted like the Firm workouts. I feel that Cathe and her crew are natural and fun and not over the top so there may be a little whooping here and there on some of the workouts but nothing excessive. I actually like it. I can understand that it bothers some people though. But, if you don't know what it is, it must not be bothering you so forget about it...tee hee!
Angela:7

None of that stuff bothers me, I find it kind of funny myself... I am so busy doing the workout, I don't have alot of time to pay attention to the back ground noise.... Rhonda

I believe the whooping is there for encouragement and communication to Cathe during filming.

I'm also too busy doing the workouts, especially Bootcamp, to let this be a distraction.

:)

I am a whooper myself. I workout with my windows open and I'm sure the neighbours hear me! I'm not bothered by it at all.:+

I liked the whimpering comment. Maybe I'll try that! That's funny.

I am def. into the workout so it's not like I am just sitting there waiting for the noise. I just try to really listen to Cathe's voice. It makes me focus more. I honestly think that it just goes with my personality. When I go to concerts or games (which I don't really like because of the crowds), I am the type to stand up and yell or sing. Just never been. Although I have gone to the gym for years , I have never participated in a class. So, I am not familiar with the environment there. I am def. more of a loner with most things, especially the gym. My husband and I tried to work out together. He likes to work hard and not talk much either while working out, but even then I just seem to work out harder when I'm alone.

Your explanations of the noise makes sense. With a logical reason for it, I can better ignore it. Plus, I've got that loud fan going now! I even tried a "whoop" myself the other day. It just didn't feel right. Maybe I will try a scream next time. That's more my style (that didn't sound appropriate, did it?!?) :)

Am I the only one? I like a bit of background noise, it makes it clear that people are working really hard. It would be weird if they were completely silent. I wouldn't want so much of it that it sounded false, but I have never found it irritating at all in Cathe workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.