No set routines

C

cybersis

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has no set routines.

I usually go in spurts of what excites me. Sometimes I am doing a lot of bike and treadmill during a week and then switch back to a lot of step. I always do weights- three times a week but really switch my cardio around to what I feel like doing. Cardio per day usually 45 to 60 minutes depending on time.

What are people's opinions about this? Is it better for weight loss to set up certain routines and stick to them for a rotation or is mixing and matching alright. I would like a little more definition muscle wise and want to lose about another five pounds ( is there anyone out there who doesn't want to lose that last five pounds -ha ) My better half bought me a bike for Easter and we spent a pleasant Sunday cycling around town. I love biking outside. Will probably spend some time doing that for cardio.

Any thoughts from this educated crowd!

cybersis

RE: No set routines - that's okay

Hi, Cybersis! I too do not follow any set routine or rotation, although I do have a fairly consistent weekly schedule. I teach two high-intensity aqua classes on Wed. and Sat., and Monday evenings, Friday afternoons and Sunday mornings are land workout days. I get in lower body strengthening on all three land workout days, and lift for upper body 2-3 times per week consistently.

I use Cathe's workouts primarily for cardio, and do Interval Max at least once per week, but which day of the week that is varies. I just do whatever I wanna do the rest of the time, and sometimes on Sundays I do my own home-grown step-with-plyo routine.

I personally do not believe you need a formal rotation in order to meet your goals; I think rotations are one of many ways to organize your workout schedule. What is most important is consistency; consistency beats out the fanciest strategy.

What you may want to think about is simply increasing the intensity of whatever cardio routine you're doing, and/or bring in new cardio modes that you haven't done before.

Just my $.02 . . .

Annette

I don't have a set routine either. I get bored doing the same cardio videos easily. When I did try to have a routine, I would always end up not doing it because I might have to work late, have a migraine, an unexpected appointment, snow, etc. and then I'd feel like I failed.

So I just try to do 3-4 varied cardios a week depending on how I feel and 2 strength workouts. I don't think there's any problem with doing it this way - some people need structure, some don't. For me, if I had a schedule saying to go on a run on Mondays, and I didn't feel up to running, forcing myself would makes things worse in the long run. I think eating well is also key to losing the last 5 lbs. and maybe adding some intervals workouts.

Hi Cybersis, how are you?

I don't do rotations at all either. The first real structure I've ever had is the CTX series - but still have no time limit in mind for using it.

I like variety - especially when summer comes, I prefer to be exercising outdoors (biking, jogging, walking, swimming) - it is so invigorating to be out in the fresh air.

Last year I decided to lose a few extra pounds, although not being overweight - and achieved it my cleaning up my diet - because exercise has always been a big part of my life.

For me - variety is the spice of life! So whatever works for you, do it.

You know what??? It is actually BETTER to have a varied routine and having no set routine doesn't matter as long as you are working out consistently with something.

Training using various types of cardio is better because you are always working muscles slightly differently. Also, you do not get so many repetetive stress injuries from doing just one thing. Take runners for example. Ok, lots of impact there, but alot of the reason most runners suffer through so many injuries is because they don't give themselves enough of a break from running. If many of them were to cross train, their injuries would likely drastically decrease. But it is all about training. People find one activity they LOVE and want to be the best they can be at it. But I do get bored as well, and there are some days where I wake up and my body is like "No way in hell you are running today, babe". SO I rollerblade or hike or lift weights. My problem though is overtraining all together with just not enough rest for my lower body. That you still have to be careful of...

But good for you. You actually have the best "routine" out there, which is no routine at all!!! Of course, once you get addicted to that bike and want to start racing, all that may change. Competition and training for an event always seem to win out. Good Luck to you!! Janice

RE: No set routines - and that's....okay

I just wanted to sound like Stuart Smalley for a minute there. Anyhoo... Hey sugar23 - there was really good advice in your post! I agree if rotations aren't your thing -t hen don't do rotations! Just curious, you mentioned snow also. Aquajock and I are from Minnesota, are you by chance? Go Wolves!
-Jill

I do not use a set rotation, but I keep a record of my workouts on a wall calendar and just look back over the past 3 or 4 days to plan what to do next. I'll think, well it's been awhile since I did shoulders, so I'll do a spin workout followed by S/H shoulders, or the I'll do All-Step/Shoulders/abs that day, so the next day maybe CardioKicks and biceps. Over a week's time I will have done 4 cardios (two easy and two hard) and each muscle group twice, including legs, and 3 or 4 abs workouts. This works very well for me. I was glad to hear so many others don't do rotations, I always found the idea to constraining.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.