no more D'S at this high school.

mom418

Cathlete
what do think of this school's new policy?

when the student gets a D, they must repeat the class- after school, night classes etc.

that part wasn't completely clear,but i guess so. i just heard it on the news really quick.
the superintendant or principal of the school realized there were 'too many' students getting 1 or more D's a year, last year. they said this was about 2% of the students. (its a high school).

oh right the principal said, the students should learn 70% or more of the material. they have to get a 70% or better in the class.
afterwards the reporter talked to a couple of students. one said it was good, bc now if they get a bad grade on a test, they have 4 days to make it up.

Last edited:
Cool! After all, the point of education is to actually LEARN the subject. Repeating it is the best opportunity to achieve that. Kudos to them!

Cool! After all, the point of education is to actually LEARN the subject. Repeating it is the best opportunity to achieve that. Kudos to them!

Agreed. I like that is shares the responsibility by both the students and the teachers.

i agree too, and in college to get transfer credit you have to repeat the class. and to count towards graduation. certain classes aren't eligible for do overs. depends on your degree. good prep for college and life.
i think drivers ed classes(in hs) have to have a C or better too. no one wants to retake that.

best of all is the prevention, so these kids study more to learn it the first time.

Last edited:
This sounds similar to the system at my daughters' grammar school. They do not have a "D" grade -- only A, B, C, and F (which is anything below a 70).

A D in any class means the students has not even mastered the bare minimum of the material and is basically non-functioning in the subject matter or skills the class set out to help the student acquire. So, I agree with the school's policy completely. The purpose of school is to turn young people into critical thinkers, the voters of tomorrow who get to decide the future of your country and a part of the planet. So, yes, you want them to pass every high school class and be fully functioning and well-informed citizens of tomorrow.

Clare

I love geometry - waiting anxiously for my kids to get to that level in school so I can do homework with them!

As long as this policy doesn't pressure teachers to pass students who haven't earned the grades (sometimes the 'no students left behind' policy--while good in theory--leads to school administrators pressuring teachers to pass all students, even those who are not meeting the criteria. Then those students go on to college and are woefully underprepared).

Speaking from my university teaching experience, students who get a "D" range anywhere from those who 'almost' got a C (and could get one with a bit more study or prep, or actually handing in all their assignments) to those who just missed an "F" by the skin of their teeth--or sometimes got a "D" rather than an "F" because the instructor wanted to be 'nice' (these students will probably get an "F" in any class that follows the one they got a D in).

i wondered about that too. i hope it doesnt pressure teachers. it should be about prevention. parents, teachers, students working together in any school. so they can do the best possible for that child/college student. and the student learns to the best of his/her ability.

and liked geometry better than algebra. guess i'm in the minority.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.