Night Shift workers -- need advice!

sme702

Cathlete
Hi to all those Night Shift people!

I'm switching to nights (7p-7a) starting July 12th and was wondering when do you fit in your workout during those long nights.

I was thinking of doing it when I get home in the morning but was wondering if I'd be too "worked up" to go to bed.

What works best for you?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Sheryl

Hi Sheryl,

You'll probably have to try working out before and after work and see how you feel.

I also work that shift and although I've had good intentions of trying to workout when I get home, it never happens. I'm always exhausted and I have a bit of a commute--when I get home I'm ready for bed! I usually get home around 8:30 am, bed before 9am, up around 3-3:30, workout from 4-5 pm then get ready for work. I normally don't get more than 6 hours sleep.

This works great for me, been doing it 3 years now.

I also do shift work. When I work the night shift I also workout before I go to work, I have to sleep as soon as I get home from work in the morning. It isn't easy though, shift work is tough!

Hi! I work 10pm - 6am. I have found I do enjoy working out before I go to work, but that takes away time from my girls and hubby and so that doesn't work so well.

this week I am trying to see how I do working out after I get home, so I'll have to come back and post the results, but so far, I just finished my run and am getting ready to do STS Meso 1 legs - I am wired (oh no!) and I have to get to sleep because I have class tonight before work.

The hardest thing so far with shift work is not the workouts, but the eating, I feel like I am never hungry.

Tami :)

Hi

It depends. If I'm tired then I'd rest on my break then workout after the shift.
If I'm well rested, I usually workout during my break. Coffee helps a lot.;)

I worked nights for a year. I would always go straight to bed when I got home after work - they was no possible way I could've worked out. I would just workout first thing when I woke up. I would eat really lightly (yogurt) and then do it. I usually woke up about 2:00 and had to be at the bus stop at 4:00 so it worked out fine. Good luck, I did great the first 6 months as far as coping with nights but the last 6 I was miserable & couldn't wait to get on Days. I just couldn't stay asleep as time went on. I would always wake up about noon and then I felt tired all the time. It was not fun. I have always been an extreme day person, the opposite of a night owl, so it just didn't work for me. Hope you do better.

I am not on a night shift but I do work 12 hour days with 4 days off one week then 3 off the next. I was getting frustrated with trying to fit everything in on my days off then I decided I was going to do 30 minutes of cardio (getting up about 40 minutes early) I invested in a treadmill a few years ago and get a 1/2 hour run and also try to mix it up with cathe dvds (the hiit disk is perfect as well as other cathe premixes) I try to do fairly intense cardio since I only have 30 minutes. If I feel too burnt out I take the day off. This seems to work for me I save the longer dvds for my days off. Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.