Night Shift - fitting in Cathe?

meredith

Cathlete
I am about to start working nights as a nurse. I will be doing 11 - 7 for 5 days a week for a while, then eventually (after about 4 months) be able to work 3 nights a week from 7p-7a. This is going to be a shock for me. I've been getting up early to do Cathe for about 8 years straight now, I get up at 4:00 M-F and spend a couple hours with Cathe and then face the day.

How do you night shifters fit in exercise? I have two school-age kids. My trick all these years has been to get up before they do. Now I'll be arriving home about 8:00 AM, be able to sleep until 4:00 when they come home from school, but then I see the evening taken up with all those kid responsibilities - homework, dinner. When I work from 11-7, I can see slipping in a workout about 8 PM, but I don't see it happening when I have to be there at 7:00.

I'm looking for ideas. I've thought that maybe I just don't workout on those 3 days I'm working (which would flip me out a bit, I'm a solid every day-er). But maybe there are creative things I haven't thought of. Only exercising 4 days a week seems too light to me.
Thanks in advance --
Meredith

From one fellow nurse to another, is this your first nursing job? I've been in the profession for more years than I care to mention, but after working full time for 15 years I took some time off to be a SAHM. Now, I just started back to work in a rehab facility doing per diem on the day shift. In fact, this week I had a full week of orientation where I had to get up at the crack of dawn. It was tough and my free time was limited, but I managed to fit in a few circuit workouts, which I like to do when I can't fit in a full week of exercise.

I remember being a new grad and working the night shift. I didn't have kids at the time but I did like to work out. After some trial and error I ended up finding the best time to run was after I woke up (around 3pm). Do you think you could get your kids to entertain themselves for an hour after they get home from school while you squeeze a workout in? On your days off you could fit in longer workouts.

Give yourself some time to get used to your new schedule. Nights can be hard on the body. I couldn't handle more than a year of it before I finally threw in the towel and got a day job. Then again, my sister (also a nurse) loved the shift and still does!

I am also a nurse who works nights. I work the 7p-7a shift on the weekends (F-Sunday). I have gotten into the habit of being up about 1545 and working out until about 1700 before showering and getting ready for work. When I'm off, it's whenever I feel like it during the day...usually in the afternoons.

When I was a new grad and worked the 11p-7a shift, I would hit the gym right after work for a session before going home and sleeping until about 8-9 pm. Of course, I had it easy then, living at home and having mom's cooking and keeping the leftovers warm for me!

HTH!

Hello,
I work 7p-7a in a busy ER, so I totally can relate to your question. I have a block schedule where I usually only work a couple of nights in a row, but every third weekend I work 4 in a row. I usually try and schedule my workouts so that I will workout during the day of my first shift, and then after I work I will sleep, then get up and do a shorter workout (30 - 45 mn). I also don't beat myself up if I'm too tired to workout since most of the time I run all night on my shift. I also try to avoid leg work on nights that I work because it's too hard on my legs. In the beginning when your adjusting to your schedule, try to keep your workouts short, try to schedule your days off exercising on nights that you work, and do your leg work on days off.

Also, I have a 3 year old at home, and I have just taught him to play somewhere where I can see him when I exercise, or I'll stick him in the playpen with some toys. He's learned to play quietly when I'm exercising.

Oh, and when you first start nursing, I'm sure your stress level will go up while your orienting - just remember exercise will help.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Sandi

Hi Meredith! I've been working out with Cathe and doing the 3 12 hr shifts (7p-7a) for many many years. I will usually schedule my rest day for one of the days when I have to sleep the whole day i.e- work the night before and that night) If I have no choice I get in an intense 30-45 minute workout when I go home at 0800. I think you may very well end up liking the 3 12 hr shifts, even tho your time is squeezed on those days. The extra days off make up for it IMO.
Best of luck to you!

ShellyC

Thanks, that info does help me. Yes, I'm a new grad so I will have to do nights for about a year before I can get on days. Maybe I will get used to it and prefer it, I know women that have. I had not thought of doing a shorter workout, that's a great idea.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.