Next series after XTrain?

Kellyro77

Cathlete
Given Cathe's got a sale going on this weekend, I'm thinking of maybe purchasing another series... maybe. (I'm also just eyeballing Perfect Pump).

I'm on week 12 of the XTrain rotation so just about finished - woohoo! I really enjoyed XTrain - mostly because of its emphasis on lifting heavy and to failure. What's another series I might like?

Note: I really, REALLY liked the undulating approach XTrain offered. I have way too sporadic a schedule to commit to STS, so STS is off the table for me.

What are your favorite series and why?

Thanks!

Maybe Strong & Sweaty. I really like the Ramped Up Upper Body workout. It also has Total Body Giant Sets, the original PHA, a Boot Camp workout and a Cardio workout. There's also the 3 Gym Style workouts which are part of the Hardcore Series. Or even the Slow and Heavy Series.

I really liked the undulating approach of Xtrain also. I've read where some people have tried doing this with Cathe's other weight workouts, like using Gym Styles & Slow & Heavy. I purchased Slow& Heavy this winter & really enjoyed alternating it- 1st w/Pure Strength for a month, and then w/the RWH weight workouts for a month ... that was a very interesting mix-up as RWH uses power, while S&H is intentionally very slow. So any or all of these weight workouts.

If you're thinking a series instead of individual dvds, then i second the Strong & Sweaty suggestion as the weight work is solid. I'd also suggest LITE ( you can increase the weights used to make it more advanced). It has a 2-day split with Stacked Sets, a Total Body with Body Weight & Bands, as well as Pyramid Pump. It includes a PHA & a metabolic weight training dvds. Also the cardio is steady state with "calorie crush" bonuses as I recall you've mentioned you don't care for HIIT-type cardio.

Have fun exploring your options!

I really liked the undulating approach of Xtrain also. I've read where some people have tried doing this with Cathe's other weight workouts, like using Gym Styles & Slow & Heavy. I purchased Slow& Heavy this winter & really enjoyed alternating it- 1st w/Pure Strength for a month, and then w/the RWH weight workouts for a month ... that was a very interesting mix-up as RWH uses power, while S&H is intentionally very slow. So any or all of these weight workouts.

If you're thinking a series instead of individual dvds, then i second the Strong & Sweaty suggestion as the weight work is solid. I'd also suggest LITE ( you can increase the weights used to make it more advanced). It has a 2-day split with Stacked Sets, a Total Body with Body Weight & Bands, as well as Pyramid Pump. It includes a PHA & a metabolic weight training dvds. Also the cardio is steady state with "calorie crush" bonuses as I recall you've mentioned you don't care for HIIT-type cardio.

Have fun exploring your options!
Thanks, Debinmi - I have LITE but that's a good point heavying up with it. I haven't done any LITE workouts since starting XTrain - I have a few scheduled in my next 12-week rotation so I'll definitely make it a point to heavy up with those workouts and see what it's like.

Really, that's a point for any of my strength workouts that I already have - intentionally heavy up on them. Since putting in the extra work with XTrain, I think I feel more confident now with doing that. For instance, I'm curious to see how much heavier I can go with Pyramid Upper and Pyramid Lower Body from Intensity. I know I've gained some strength from XTrain.

Definitely thinking I might go for Strong & Sweaty if I do go for a set, though. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I’m hooked on the ICE series. The word Intermediate made me think it was easy but it’s plenty challenging! The blizzard blast add ons give some extra cardio kick and the muscle meltdowns are also great to work one body part at a time. My favorites from this series are Boot Camp Circuit and Chiseled Lower Body Blast. There’s also the Icy core add ons which I haven’t tried yet. I’ve done a week of ICE two different times.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.