Newsletter fired me up!

Nanbo

Cathlete
I got SO fired up from yesterday's newsletter article about women lifting heavy weights! I have a very hard time increasing weights on certain exercises (usually upper body...the thing I want to develope the most!). Well, yesterday I put on my 1 pound wrist weights in addition to the weight I've been lifting for several of the exercises in High Reps, and it really challenged me! Just 2 measly extra pounds!!! Many times I find that I need an "in between" weight and I think this might be the way to get there!
I think I'm ready for a weighted vest, too! I am getting to the point where I'm struggling with the barbell for my squats and lunges (only 40 pounds!!!:confused:).
I hope I can keep this excitement level up!;)
What are your favorite Cathe DVDs for building beautiful upper body muscle?

I got SO fired up from yesterday's newsletter article about women lifting heavy weights! I have a very hard time increasing weights on certain exercises (usually upper body...the thing I want to develope the most!). Well, yesterday I put on my 1 pound wrist weights in addition to the weight I've been lifting for several of the exercises in High Reps, and it really challenged me! Just 2 measly extra pounds!!! Many times I find that I need an "in between" weight and I think this might be the way to get there!
I think I'm ready for a weighted vest, too! I am getting to the point where I'm struggling with the barbell for my squats and lunges (only 40 pounds!!!:confused:).

I've been lifting heavy at the gym for a while since I don't have heavy weights at home.

I also struggled with a 40 lb barbell for the longest time!

I think what actually helped me get stronger was two-fold:

(1) stay in the 6-8 rep range (3 sets) with single arm DB rows and single arm DB presses for shoulders)

(2) increase intake of protein. I ate about 120 g of protein per day.

I can now hoist a 50# BB on my shoulders for squats and on a very good day, use 55#.

We women make the mistake of restricting calories to diet and lose fat. Unfortunately, our bodies cannot BUILD and grow muscle when it is in a calorie deficit.

Nanbo, you look great in your avatar pic, BTW. I agree with you about the weights...it was encouraging reading it. I have gotten the most fit lifting...I don't know why I ever backed off. I took 2 years off and just walked, without weight lifting (I was also finishing my degree at the time), but this was the dumbest thing I did concerning my fitness level. I gained inches and weight. I am so thankful to be back lifting and am committed to never stop again, maybe go lighter for a while if I must, but NEVER stop. I see women around where I live here, walking all the time, even jogging, but I just want to tell them that they aren't doing themselves any good in the long run if they aren't lifting too!!

"I think I'm ready for a weighted vest, too! I am getting to the point where I'm struggling with the barbell for my squats and lunges (only 40 pounds!!!)."

It was helpful to read this, because I have found that I am strugging with getting my 45# barbell over my head. It might be time for me to get that vest...or use my STS tower as a squat rack!:)

My fav weight dvd's are currently High Reps and Muscle Max, even though I haven't done them for awhile because I am doing the STS program!

Tracy,
Thanks for the motivating compliment! That pic was taken last September when I had just started using Cathe DVDs. I was on vacation (hiking in red rock country) and was using Travel Fit and 30/30. Cathe had such a positive effect on me! When I got home I pre-ordered High Reps, STS Total Body, Lower Body Blast, and Intensity. I had worked out for many years with another brand of DVDs and NEVER had results like I have with Cathe! I have heard so many encouraging stories about women getting into phenomenal condition using her weight routines! How is that STS program treating you? I have to admit, I am curious!;)

I see women around where I live here, walking all the time, even jogging, but I just want to tell them that they aren't doing themselves any good in the long run if they aren't lifting too!!

No, that isn't true. Walking does indeed do a power of good. Powerwalking keeps me in phenomenal shape and the stuff it does for my head and stress levels cannot be measured.

I think it is more accurate to say that the walking/jogging is good but the walking/jogging + weights would be even better.

Let's not discourage others from the efforts they take to improve their health and longevity, even if these are not exactly the same efforts we would make.

Clare

It is scientifically proven that cardio alone, without weight training, produces a catastrophic muscle loss. :(

Of course, I would not address someone and say anything critical of them and what they did or said, unless I was directly asked my opinion. I still hold to my opinion which was offered in the spirit of the merits and benefits of weight training from my personal experience and research. :)

To offer unsolicited criticism and instruction to correct another would be completely rude, unreasonably hostile, and officious to people who did not solicit my opinion, especially when they were in the safety of their own endeavors. :(

I would never want to discourage or sadden another with my unsolicited criticism of them. I am always glad when anyone takes a step toward exercise!:D

You DO look amazing Nancy! I often wonder where I'd be if I hadn't found cathedotcom! :eek: There was a "Tank Top Rotation" floating around here YEARS ago that I used to do and I got fantastic results from it. But, I'd have to say the BEST results I ever got were from STS! Let me know if you're interested and I'll find the TTR for you!

This article came just at the right time. I just started STS last week and had been concerned after reading some posts about weight gain. I am definitely pushing myself to lift heavier weight than I have been before and keeping a strict eye on my calorie intake. This article was so helpful. I can't wait to see the results that I get.

Regina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.