Newbie to Cathe

gettinfitnfab

Hello Cathe & Everyone! I'm just starting out with Cathe's workouts, and am so excited. I was introduced to Cathe's ME video as a freebie in the hi-step I bought a couple of weeks ago. I actually bought the hi-step to use for some other exercise from a magazine, and had never heard of Cathe Friedrich before. Imagine that! I sat down & watched the video & thought WOW this is tough, but what a great challenge. I just had to go to the website to see what else was there.

I've been on a fitness quest for the past 14 months or so, starting first with a new eating plan & yoga, then added consistent weight resistance training last September. So far, I'm down about 55lbs with maybe 40 more to go. My real goal is to get <= 25% body fat, I don't care about a particular weight or size. I had a health assessment done a couple of months ago, and have above average strength, endurance, & flexibility, but poor cardio. I was also still at 37% BF, but I'm not giving up. I thought the weight resistance I was doing was a circuit format (Total Gym), but evidently not nearly enough for cardio fitness. I do have a treadclimber, but doing it is so boring, I just really resist getting on it to walk/climb for even 20-30 minutes as my cardio routine every single day. I have found that I really have to switch routines every 2-4 weeks to stay motivated. So, I started looking for video workouts that would combine the weights & cardo, that I could switch between whenever I wanted, and FINALLY found what I had been searching for when I visited cathe.com. After thoroughly reviewing all the videos & dvds, I started reading through the forum posts. Reading all the positive responses & help posted there really was a deciding factor in my ordering several DVDs & videos, besides the fact that I really like Cathe & her style, which is half the battle of finding a workout to stick with.

I do need a little help, though, to start out. Wednesday I did the All-Step video (another freebie I got when I bought "the step"), and pretty much just stumbled all over the step -- but I was moving! This morning I made it through 1/2 of BootCamp. So far I can manage the weight work, but I'm worried about my knees, with all the jumping & hi-impact. I'm 46, overweight, and my knees just aren't what they used to be. I also have stretched ligaments in one knee from an old track injury, so I really need to try to keep from stressing it. I have been doing some exercises to strengthen the muscles above the knee, but I'm really scared of injury & then not being able to do any workouts. I'm thinking I need to get some knee supports, and obviously will try to keep the movements in the workouts as low-impact as possible.

Has anyone else worked through this problem or perhaps offer some advice on getting the best workout I can without hurting myself?

P.S. I have the new Basic Step DVD on pre-sale order, and found a post that suggested the wedding video & cardio classics as more beginner step workouts, so I'm considering ordering those as well to help me with learning the basic moves.

Thanks!:)

Hi there!

First of all, congratulations on your fitness progress! I am 45 and overweight & I pre-ordered both of Cathe's beginner/intermediate DVD's. I would recommend that you pre-order DVD#2 for your high step :)

Since you enjoy strength training, perhaps MIS/Power Hour/ME DVD? You sound ready for Crosstrain Express, I can't wait to work my way up to all of Cathe's workouts, however I am old enough to know that the journey will be slow & steady :)

I'm sure others will have more informative responses for you, I just wanted to welcome you and suggest DVD#2 while you can still save a few dollars, take care & keep moving!

~kandy~

Thanks!

I just received the ME/BC DVD on Wed, and have Power Hr/MIS/Body Max DVD coming next week. In fact I really splurged & got something like 6 DVD's & 5 videos. It's like Christmas! Definitely created a library purchases.

Wow Debbie! What incredible progress you've made! I don't have joint/knee problems (yet, I'm 48 though, LOL) but I am a clutz and my feet just don't want to move correctly! I recently purchased and tried the Classics DVD, which has three step workouts on it...I found that Step Heat was easy for me to catch on to and was a lot of fun to do.

Bootcamp is TOUGH!!! WOW, I commend you for doing even half--I've only done it once and had to modify some of those moves! In the beginning I had to modify a lot of higher impact moves to a lower impact version. Once I lost enough weight, the higher impact was a little easier.

I've gone from a couch potato to avid exerciser in about a year and a half. I've lost 44 pounds (and about the same amount of inches) and went from 27% body fat to 24% body fat, so I (for one) believe your goal is realistic and achievable!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.