new vegetarian

molasses

Cathlete
I'm a new vegetarian and doing this alone, I'm ovo-lacto but trying to eat vegan most of the time. I've seen many online comments about not having enough vitamin B12 and iron when following a vegetarian diet. Should I worry about my vitamins and minerals even though I'm taking a supplement?

I know there are many successful vegetarians out there...Who taught you? online? books? any recommendations?

Please and thank you. :)

Two good books to start with are "Becoming Vegetarian" and "Becoming Vegan" by Vesanto Melina and Brenda Davis. They are registered dieticians who are very well known in the veggie community and who do a lot of research, keeping up with nutritional studies, etc. Either book would be great.

Be sure to take a B12 supplement. Iron is usually not a problem (and it's best not to supplement with it unless you're sure you need it). Davis and Melina cover supplementation in their books.

I agree with Kathryn. Both of those books are very helpful and yes it is important to take a B12 supplement.

I am not vegetarian, but normally go on a stint once or twice a year. Mark Bittman's book "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" and Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" are two good places to start collecting recipes. I also recommend learning to cook Indian food as it can easily fit into a vegan lifestyle, particularly the dals. Ragavan Iyer's "660 curries" would be a good place to start.

Be sure to take a B12 supplement. Iron is usually not a problem

Basically, what Kathryn said is true. Iron is plentiful in green leafy vegetables anyway, I really wouldn't worry about that. Any good (check the label.) vegan multivitamin will cover that. I don't know if the sublingual (dissolves under your tongue.) little red tablets from Trader Joe's are vegan, you would want to check the label, but they are easy to digest. B12 (for me.) is a bit hard on the tummy, you want it with food unless its the sublingual kind (absorbed in the mouth.)

Alisha

My advice would be to avoid getting caught up in all of those processed soy vegetarian products out there. They really aren't that good for you, in my opinion.

Take a good multi vitamin, but more importantly eat a good variety of foods and avoid getting into a food rut.

If you enjoy cooking, start adding new cookbooks to your collection. One that I recommend is Yoga Kitchen: Recipes from the Shoshoni Yoga Retreat.

My advice would be to avoid getting caught up in all of those processed soy vegetarian products out there. They really aren't that good for you, in my opinion.

Take a good multi vitamin, but more importantly eat a good variety of foods and avoid getting into a food rut.

If you enjoy cooking, start adding new cookbooks to your collection. One that I recommend is Yoga Kitchen: Recipes from the Shoshoni Yoga Retreat.

I cannot wait to get this book! I've been vegetarian for almost a year... Next month will be a year. I occasionally eat fish, so I suppose I'm officially a pescatarian or a hypocritical vegetarian.

I love Vegetarian Times magazine. They have great recipes. I've also found that you really can turn any meal into a vegetarian meal... Just add veggies to pasta or lasagna instead of meat. Incorporate lentils and beans for protein and iron... One of my favorite meals is a quinoa-blackbean concoction I make.

I also try to stay away from the overly processed soy faux meat foods. I do like to eat kashi go lean in the mornings for extra protein. ANd I love gardein faux chicken, but it's not as processed as the other stuff...

I take women's ultra mega active multi vitamin from GNC. It supposedly has large amounts of B complex in it...

I have found that the transition was so easy. I still eat eggs and once a month maybe a piece of fish, so maybe that's why. You are going to find that you feel so much better!!

I'm with Stephanie! GNC vitamins, Vegetarian Times magazine, and some fish (mainly shrimp, salmon and some white fish - especially if I'm eating out).

I made the transition two years ago and have had no problems at all. So easy! Today, I made a veggie taco quesadilla for lunch, which was leftover from last night's veggie tacos - all the veggies, then take a packet of taco seasoning mix and instead of mixing it into meat - ready - mix it with a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. As they simmer, use a fork to mash them up the the consistency of ground meat and mix the spice in. Then, build your tacos!! OMG - YUM!!!!!!!!!! Better than meat based tacos could ever dream of being. Super light.

I can also recommend vegetarian cookbooks by Peter Berley. Fresh Food Fast and The Flexitarian Table are two I have (he also has a very highly rated third book called The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen). Outstanding recipes!!

Last edited:
Today, I made a veggie taco quesadilla for lunch, which was leftover from last night's veggie tacos - all the veggies, then take a packet of taco seasoning mix and instead of mixing it into meat - ready - mix it with a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. As they simmer, use a fork to mash them up the the consistency of ground meat and mix the spice in. Then, build your tacos!! OMG - YUM!!!!!!!!!! Better than meat based tacos could ever dream of being. Super light.

That sounds amazing! I'm so trying this!

It will be your new fav, Stephanie! I have it once a month.

I top with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and cilantro. Maybe some avocado or light sour cream. Just a little 2%cheese and some yummy salsa. I like the crunch of hard shells, but soft works, too. If you're savvy with spices, you can even concoct your own spice mix to keep the sodium down. :)

ITA!
One trap many veggies fall into is eating far too many of the processed soy foods ("meat analogs"). They are good as transitional foods for some people, but it's easy to get into basing your entire meals around them.

Three places to find meal ideas:
1) you probably already have a collection of recipes that just happen to be vegetarian/vegan, like marnara sauce, lentil soup, etc.
2) you also probably alread eat some thing that could easily be turned veggie with a few substitutions.
3) recipe books or web sites (www.vegsource.com ) or magazines (www.vegnews.com ).

You guys are the best! Thanks for all your advice and recs. :D
I've gone shopping and I picked up a few cookbooks and the Vegetarian Times magazine (which happens to have a FAQ section on vitamin B12 - perfect)

Thanks for your support.

Congratulations for going veggie!! This is the best place for advice too. There's an iphone app (maybe available for all smart phones?) called "Animal-Free" and it has a list of sneaky common ingredients found in food and beauty products that are animal products. I say "sneaky" because some of these items you would never suspect to be animal products because of the names used.

All the best to you on this fantastic journey :)

Today, I made a veggie taco quesadilla for lunch, which was leftover from last night's veggie tacos - all the veggies, then take a packet of taco seasoning mix and instead of mixing it into meat - ready - mix it with a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas. As they simmer, use a fork to mash them up the the consistency of ground meat and mix the spice in. Then, build your tacos!! OMG - YUM!!!!!!!!!! Better than meat based tacos could ever dream of being. Super light.

Wow - this sounds FABULOUS!!!!!! Definitely going to try this for the next "taco night" at home!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.