New to the forums!

beverly

Hello! I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and love it. It is great to know that there are more serious fitness people out there than it seems sometimes. I have been doing Cathe's tapes for a couple years and love them. I am trying to incorporate the 8 new tapes to get more weight training in. I live in Utah. My husband is military and we have been moving all over the world for the past 11 years. We just came from the Azores and before that Okinawa, Japan. We have been in Utah since Novemeber and I have not met any fitness buds yet, so decided to join in with you guys..

Welcome!!

I know exactly what you mean about having a group who seriously understands your commitment to fitness! I posted a question to Cathe, and when she answered me I just wanted to tell someone. Something like, "Yeah, I just asked Cathe what I should do...Oh, you know Cathe FRIEDRICH. She's my personal trainer." But alas, the only people I know who would appreciate such a comment are here!! And they already know Cathe answers our questions faithfully!
We're glad you joined in and you can lean on us until you find some local fitness buddies.
Tricia

Hi Beverly!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-00 AT 05:02PM (EST)</font></center>

Glad to have you join us! You'll meet lots of "Fitness Buds" here. Many of them have so much info to share too. I have learned so much myself. How fascinating to have traveled the world for the past 11 years. We have a friend here named Renae that I believe is in Japan now with her husband (who I believe is in the miltitary~Air Force??) . Renae, you out there?? Again, welcome!
happy.gif

DebbieH

Renae is waiting out a typhoon!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-00 AT 05:26PM (EST)</font></center>

At this very moment--or within the previous 24 hours--Renae is holed up in a hotel in Okinawa with her husband and three cats while Typhoon Ruamoi (wrong spelling I know) blows over. This is a big wind! 145 mi/hr. She sent us an aerial photo of the thing over on the videofitness forum check-in page.

With any luck, they'll be flying out of there to their new station soon. We're hoping for the best!

Hello, Beverly. If you want another great fitness site to visit, go to www.videofitness.com. From there, click over to the VF Forum. You'll find some of the same friendly folks there and here.

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I remember sitting out typhoons in Okinawa like it was yesterday. Renae if you read this, tell me where you are getting stationed next. Did you workout at Risner Fitness? I taught aerobics there.

Can't wait to get off work in a few to go workout..
happy.gif

Hi Beverly!

Welcome to the forum!

Why, yes I did work out at Risner! I used to strength train with free weights only there before I found videos. I also took the step and other aerobics classes. Lately I have been taking more aerobics classes there, as my stuff got packed up and I got sick of doing hi/lo in my TLF room!

We are headed to Travis AFB, CA next....if we can ever get off this island, thanks to the typhoon Barb told you all about! It's STILL over us...it is a BIG one. It's been hitting for over 24 hours now. But it looks like it is weakening and starting to break up--the eye is not very clearly defined anymore. Anyway, we are very excited about our next assignment--I hear it's a great assignment. My DH is from CA (the LA area) and says it's just beautiful in the Sacramento area.

How do you like Utah? Is your DH Air Force or another branch?

Renae

Hi Renae!

Yes, my husband is Air Force. California sounds like a great place to be. The weather will be great. We left Okinawa Sep 97. Were you there then? The Azores was not what we expected. Thank goodness it was only two years. I met some great people there though. They talked me into running a half marathon. IT was well worth it. Now I love to run long distances. I use to only do 3 or 4 miles max. Now I go at least 6 when I head out the door. I really need to hit the weights harder. Cathe's new tapes are keeping me on track and motivated.
Keep me posted on your move and the typhoon.
Beverly

How funny, Beverly!

Sep 97 is exactly when I arrived on Okinawa! What a coincidence!

This storm is finally almost gone....now hopefully we'll get some word on when we get to fly out.

I have heard good and bad about the Azores. I have talked to some people that just loved it, and others who hated it. But I guess that is true of all places, isn't it?
wink.gif

I try to be a runner, but I find it tedious usually. I like to run outside, but as you know, Okinawa weather is not very conducive to that. It's so hot and humid you can barely breathe! I love to run on a warm, sunny day though....just wish the humidity weren't so high. Maybe I'll finally become a runner in California, then!

It's nice to hear from you....it IS a small world, isn't it?

Talk to you later,
Renae

Hello, Renae

I've been logging on to the Weather channel to see what's going on with the typhoon. Not much news today since the thing has started to unravel. Sounds like you are still hanging on!

Best wishes for getting airborne real soon! Sunny California...here she comes!

Barbara, former Air Force brat (once one, always one??) who spent a refueling stop in the Azores

A late welcome from another Beverly!

Hi Beverly and welcome! Just wanted to say hello and tell you that you've found a great place to come for info/advice (and some humor too
happy.gif
). Another good website, as someone already mentioned, is VF. You'll see a lot of familiar "faces" over there.
happy.gif

One more thing: had to chuckle when I read your info, not only do we share the same first name but before I became a SAHM I was a "banker". hehehe

Again, welcome!
happy.gif

Bev K.

Another welcome

Hello Beverly,
These are a great bunch of gals aren't they.
You sound like a very busy lady. I have a 7 year old daughter. It's a fun age isn't it. Just wanted to say hello and welcome you. Lora

Hi Lora and Bev K

Great to hear from some more of you. That is funny about you being a banker Bev. I get a lot of funnies about my name, especially when I go to the bank.
happy.gif

I was a stay at home mom till my youngest started school a couple years ago. I considered myself a stay at home mom, but I taught aerobics in the evening when my hubby got home. Sometimes I miss staying home. A full time job, 2 kids, working on a Masters degree and all the other stuff that comes with being a mom gets overwhelming sometimes. As soon as I stick a Cathe tape in or go for a run I feel soo much better and in control. It is so amazing what fitness does for you.
Talk to you all later.
Beverly

Hi Beverly!

I also wanted to welcome you to the forum. It must be very hard to maintain friendships when you are always on the move. But isn't it nice to know that from here on out, no matter where you move to, you'll always be able to maintain your cyber friendship here with us. Thanks for sharing with us. It was nice to meet you!

Hi Beverly!

Hi! I've been stationed at the Azores twice, as a kid in 80-83 and then as an airman in 91-93. I loved it there, that's where I took up running!

Anyway, welcome, and I'm so jealous you got Utah. We tried to get Utah and got a remote base in Texas instead, so we ended up getting out. Only we're still not in Utah- we're waiting until after the Olympics.

Hi Cathe

Great to get a welcome from you!! Your tapes are awesome and you keeping up with these forums shows your commmitment even more.. Thanks..

Hi Jen

That is neat you were in the Azores too. It is a small world. We love Utah. The mountains are beautiful, we love to hike in them.
Your training for a marathon? I have not attempted a whole one yet. I ran both my half marathons in the Azores. One in Oct 98 and the other in Oct 99. It was great to cross that finish line. I trained with a great lady. She was a 40 year old breast cancer survivor. She was a total inspiration. Nice to meet you and tell me about your running, how far you run each week etc.. Love to see if there is something you might do that might help me..
Beverly

Utah!

Beverly, if you don't mind my asking, where are you located in Utah? My sister and I have vacationed there near Salt Lake City for the past two years and done hiking in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Just curious!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Utah

Hi Elizabeth,
I live in Clinton, UT. It is about 30 miles from Salt Lake City. We are right by Hill AFB. The mountains are great here aren't they? We love it.

Too funny!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Beverly. Yes, the Wasatch Forest is just gorgeous! We stayed at Snowbird near Alta, wonderful place. Guess what the name of my town is? Clinton Township! How weird! Enjoy those mountains, one of these days I'm gonna have to check out the skiing there, everyone says it's wonderful.

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Running

My last real distance run was the 15K Anchor to Anchor run at Lajes. I'm not sure if they ran it any more after 1992, because that's when the Navy left Lajes. I stopped in Italy because it wasn't safe, and then in Germany, I had a newborn and my husband was always TDY. Texas was too hot. Now, I'm easing back into it- I stopped during the really hot days of summer, more because I was recovering very slowly. Now I've switched to a low-carb diet, which really helps my muscle recovery, and I'm pre-pretraining for a marathon next fall. I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's Spring Training and Marathon Training plans starting in April (http://www.halhigdon.com) but right now I'm not running at all. When my CTX rotation ends in 6 weeks, I'll probably switch three days of tapes with three days of running.

Long answer, sorry!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.