New to Cathe

Cheryl63

I am a fan of the old Firm videos and am looking for a change of pace. I am a step newbie and need something with basic aerobic choreography and consider myself intermediate to advanced. I enjoy weight training, but also want cardio. I don't like dancy moves because I am a klutz! I've heard alot of good things about the Basic Step/Body Fusion workout. Any other options?

Welcome! Check out the stickied post at the top of this page - "Results are in! Ultimate Guide to Cathe's workouts". That gives a great breakdown on the intensity of all her step workouts, from easiest to hardest, and it's a pretty good general guide for how complex the choreography is. I'd recommend the Classics Volume 1 DVD - with Step Jam, Step Max and Step Heat - as another good workout series. You'll learn a lot of steps but Cathe breaks them down well.

Allison

Hi, Cheryl! Welcome to the forum!
I would recommend Boot Camp (which alternates cardio and weights, and has somewhat of a Firm feel in that respect. The cardio is also very athletic and basic).
Kickboxing is also a good choice. I recommend Cardio Kicks and KPC.

For a lower body workout you may like Legs and Glutes. It comes on the DVD with Kick, Punch, and Crunch and once you've done the workouts as is you could try some of the premixes which include sections of L&G with sections of KPC for a completely different workout. Have fun!
Angela:7

I am pretty new to step too. I am new to exercise all together...LOL. I have been going since the end of 2004. I am new to Cathe also, and love her! The only DVD I have yet is basic step, and it was pretty easy to learn, considering I had no idea what I was doing. The rest of all I do is off of FIT TV. I agree, Legs & Glutes is really good, so Kick punch & crunch. I have Lo Max off of Fit tv, and it has not been to difficult to learn the step moves in that either. Good luck and Welcome. I am learning too......maybe all these pros on here can show us the ropes.

Joanna

If you consider yourself intermediate to advanced, you should have no problem with most of Cathe's workouts. I considered myself between beginner and intermediate and my first Cathe workout was Step Blast. Wow! It was great! It took me a few times to really get it, because my endurance wasn't built up, yet. Otherwise, I had the footwork down pretty quickly. Once my lungs caught up with the rest of my body, I was flying through this workout in no time!

If you are looking for pure step, I'd suggest Step Blast, Rhythmic Step, or Lowmax (the DVD has a fantastic all-step premix). If you are looking for super-intensity, I'd recommend one of the Imax's (maybe not Imax 3, yet, though -- it's pretty advanced, IMO, and the footwork is some of Cathe's most complex she's ever done).

Also for pure step cardio, consider Cardio Hits DVD, featuring 3 fabulous, tough, step cardio routines, with no intervals but plenty of plyometrics.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.