New to Cathe need Help !!!!

Well I broke down and bought my first Cathe DVD. I bought Coremax About 2 weeks ago and love it. I think I really like her and she is challenging. There is only a few moves I can't do yet but will keep trying. So my question is which one next? I really want to weight train but I also think I should do some cardio. Was never much of a step aerobic person but I did break down and bid and won a step on Ebay since much of her tapes require one. I am 5'4 and 118 lbs. Most people call me skinny and wimpy. I would like to firm up the buns, abs, and bulk up and define the arms and shoulders. Any suggestions? I would call myself an intermediate level but love a challenge. Thanks Linda

Hi Linda!

You will get lots of suggestions but my advice is to try one of her beginner to intermediate step workouts. Your choices are the newest beginner videos or the older advanced ones.

Cardio Hits contains 3 older step workouts where you can become familiar with Cathe's common moves and cues.

Power Max, on that DVD, became an intensity benchmark when it first came out.

In the older videos, there is some tapping, which is switching feet, or stepping on one foot twice in a row. If you are not a step instructor this won't bother you and you probably won't notice it. For the most part all the workouts are more tapless than tapping.

The newest ones have even fewer taps but there are still a few.

As for strength, my recommendation is the Power Hour DVD. Power Hour is complete and logical. People experience a dread factor with it when they try to use heavier weights (me included) but there is no match for how good your body feels when you are doing that workout once a week. Just don't be afraid to use lower weights. It is an excellent form refiner.

On that DVD are 2 other wonderful workouts that will keep you busy and satified for months.

Whatever you get next, you will not be disappointed.

5 years after discovering Cathe, I own almost every video she has ever made!

HTH

Connie

Hi Linda -
I'm new to Cathe as well and I can give you only the advise of what I have done. I have problems with my arches so I can't do a lot of the step that requires jumping - I hope to work up to that. But so far, these are the ones that I really love:

High Step Circuit - there is just enough step in there to get your heartbeat up and then it's off to weights/lunges type of workouts. I have only done the beginner one though and it's awesome. Coming from The Firm, it's just the right pace for me as I build up to Cathe's more advanced workouts.

Low-impact step - more step stuff though.

Another pure weight workout that I LOVE is Pyramid UPPER/LOWER. It kicks my a**.

Best of luck!!!
Lizzy

Thanks for the advice so far. I was looking at the Pyramid DVD just worried it might be way to intense. I never thought about High Step. Do you need a High step or can I use a regular step? I also tried looking up the Power max and Power Hour I could not find them seperately are they only in a DVD that has multiple workouts?

Thanks again Linda

Hi Linda...Welcome!...The Pyramids are intense but all you have to do is just use less weight or just pyramid up or down only. The DVD has some premixes that let you do that. I also think the Power Hour DVD would be a good choice as it has 2 good weight workouts Power Hour and Maximun Intensity Strength, then Bodymax which is a good step workout with Lower body power circuit segments and then a shorter upper body workout than the other 2 weight workouts. All 3 workouts have good ab segments too...:)...Carole

Hey Linda -
You could try it with the regular step - but you really miss out on the different intensity levels that you get with HighStep. If you are an old Firmie - the Fanny Lifter is a good stand-by as it has various levels. I gave my FL away though when I start using Cathe, and I love the stability of the high-step. Highly recommend it!

Lizzy

Actually, I think your best bet is to buy a series that includes a variety of workouts and which you can use to create your own workout sequence throughout the week.

I would start with the Body Blast series. It includes a full step routine, Step Blast, which is one of Cathe's best in my opinion. It includes a circuit workout, both on and off the step, where you can do as little or as much of it as you want. It includes Cathe's best kickbox workout ever, Kick, Punch, Crunch, which is paired with a weight training workout that focuses on all the muscles of the lower body and is extremely thorough, Legs & Glutes. It also includes 2 weight training videos for the entire body, Push Pull and Supersets, which is great fun with fabulous music.

In this one set you have everything you need to start off on your fitness journey and as an introduction to Cathe. Then you can move up to the slightly tougher Intensity series (which includes the Pyramids) and from there, onto the toughest: the hardcore series!

You will need a barbell withnplates that take yo up to about 60-70 pounds. There's a good, cheaper one available through walmart.com and the Troy Lite system from Fitness first, online, which is one of the best since the bar itself is light and the spring clips are so easy to handle. Even though you won't be using all that weight at first, as you gain strength, you will want to increase your range. You will also need a range of dumbells, from 3 to 10 or 20 pounds. Again, you can buy these in increments as your strength increases. Start with 3s, 5s, 10s and 12s and add on from there. Also, a stability ball, which you can get very cheaply from TJMaxx stores and other sporting goods stores, like Dunhams.

Have fun!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.