New to Cathe and seeking input

debgore

Cathlete
Hello. My name is Deborah and I've just started working out with a few of Cathe's wonderful DVDs. I have Basic Step and Body Fusion, as well as Muscle Max, Low Max and IMAX 2. I'm planning on ordering a few more, but wanted some advice from you folks, who know her workouts so well. I try to get in 4 or so cardio workouts a week and 2 weight workouts. I'm not really looking to lose weight, just to get in shape and tone up a bit. (I was in good shape, but then I had my two girls, who are 1 and 3, and I'm trying to get some of my old shape back.) I was thinking of Rythmic Step for cardio, and perhaps Power Hour for weights. I guess my other option for weights would be to get separate lower and upper body workouts - one for each day - such as the Gym Styles. I'm not really sure. Does anyone have any better suggestions, or any workout that might be a better next step? I really appreciate your help. Have a great weekend, everyone.

Hi, Deborah, and welcome to the gang! Never underestimate a Cathe fan's talent for spending your money for you!

In all honesty, I think it would be just a bit of a leap to go from the step routines you currently have to Rhythmic Step, which is probably the most complicated choreography (and the fastest-paced) of her step routines. Rhythmic Step could be a goal to work toward.

For cardio, I'd suggest the following:

Cardio + Weights (on the same DVD as I-Max 2); the intensity of the step routine is a good step up (pardon the atrocious pun) from Basic Step and Low Max. (If you're already doing I-max 2 comfortably maybe you're more fit than you think, and can consider the other workouts on the Rhythmic Step DVD, Maximum Intensity Cardio and Interval Max). Also consider the Cardio Hits 3-workout DVD, including Power Max, Step Fit and Step Works; these are listed as Intermediate in the workout precises. Also consider Low Impact Step and Body Sculpt DVD, as well as High Step Circuit; these are intermediate cardio and strength routines.

For strength, you've got a good one in Muscle Max. Power Hour is more of an intermediate, endurance-oriented workout along the lines of Body Pump. It comes on the same DVD as Body Max (step, step-circuit cardio and upper body and ab conditioning) and Maximum Intensity Strength. That DVD would be a good investment for all three workouts, as you evolve from endurance to strength training.

For true strength training, certainly consider one of Cathe's split-set systems, such as Pure Strength (three workouts hitting select muscle groups), Pyramid Upper / Lower Body (two workouts hitting . . . well, upper and lower body) or Gym Styles, another 3-workout split-set series. A goal series to work toward might be the Slow and Heavy series, another 3-workout split-set series that is very focused and designed for premium strength and mass gains.

HTH -

A-Jock

Thanks for the welcome and the input, A-Jock. I have a bit of work to do before I can do Imax2 comfortably, so I think I'll hold off on Rythmic Step and order one of your suggestions. I'll work up to Rythmic Step eventually. And thanks for the endurance/strength distinction on some of the other DVDs. That really helps! I think I'll go with Power Hour first, then go for some of the strength training when I'm ready to spend some more money!

i love the entire intensity series........it has a little of everthing,except kickboxing, but she rocks in this series!

A-Jock...what's the difference between the endurance workout and strength training. I thought they were one in the same but just different routines?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.