New SIDS guidelines: co-sleeper beds

ksandvoss

Cathlete
Hi,

with the new SIDS guidelines, I am considering using a co-sleeper with my second baby. My first child slept in his crib fine for the 1st month, but he became colicky and it was difficult to get him to sleep anywhere. But we never had him sleep in our room, thinking we would sleep better and it would be a bad habit to have him sleep with us. However, the new guidelines recommend a co-sleeper that is flush with the bed.

Can anyone who has used a co-sleeper please tell me how they liked it? How did your husband sleep? Did anyone use it for one child but not another? Also would a pack and play work just as well?

Thanks in advance. My husband doesn't like the idea, so I need to hear from you to help convince him this is a good idea.

Kathy

With baby #1, we put him in the crib very early. With this baby, he goes to sleep in the crib but is moved in the early morning hours to our bed - I can get away without feeding by having the baby and paci right beside me...... We have a cosleeper that goes in the middle of the bed. It's made with anti-parent rollover protection sides that are ventilated. Baby sleeps great in it. But he is very loud. My hubby doesn't sleep well when I bring our son to bed, but it helps me greatly;-)

The first always ended up in our bed...with our second I went ahead and bought a mini co-sleeper. It's really nice if you're nursing. Just reach over, pick 'em up, hook 'em up and doze off. My husband is a third year medical student so he needs his sleep and it doesn't bother him at all. But I guess that would all depend on how deep your husband sleeps. A pack and play is essentially the same thing (I think), except it wouldn't be flush with the bed so you wouldn't have the ease of having the baby right there. I am a little paranoid about SIDS when the babies are born so I like having them right next to the bed so I can check on them through out the night, just reach over and lay my hand on their chest. I never had a problem with our first one adjusting to his own bed. We actually put him in a toddler bed around 1 year, first with his bed in our room for a while, and then moved it to his own room. He never had any problems. Although, I would assume this would have to depend on your child and their temperament.

Honestly, it does make intimacy a little weird sometimes (sorry if this is too personal), but our bed is squeaky and sometimes she wakes up. The benefits outweigh the disadvantage for me though so it works for me.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Lindzebird

I co-sleep in bed when DD won't sleep on her own in her co-sleeper. But let's define co-sleeping. Actual co-sleeping means baby in your bed sleeping with you. Then there are the co-sleeper beds that you can buy. The posters are talking about two different kind:

One in the bed:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bbs_b_2_3/103-9780466-1152642?v=glance&s=baby

One next to the bed, like a pack n play (you can buy a little one sized like a bassenet, or one sized like a pack n play:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...bbs_b_2_1/103-9780466-1152642?v=glance&s=baby

I use the second one half of the nights, and hope that my cranky baby will sleep in it full time soon. It's much easier to touch the baby with the mini co sleeper than in a pack n play. I used a PNP with my son and my arm would fall asleep at night by keepin my hand on my son while he slept (only way he would sleep in there). It's up to you how you like it. DH is fine with it because we both understand we need sleep. Yes intimacy can be weird, but this is our second time around, and well you do what you have to do! ;) DH won't like the idea of not sleeping either so ask him what is better. PLUS if you BF you won't to go into another room 2-3 times a night or more just to feed your baby, I PROMISE! If you want to keep your sanity IMO you need the baby close at least for the first 6 weeks.

Good luck on your decision, it was the best one for us!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.