New Kettlebell workouts!

LeanneM

Cathlete
I know that some people don't use gloves with their KB workouts, but I was getting callouses when I didn't use them. I've experimented with a few kinds (including Cathe's new cardio gloves), but have found that a pair of weightlifting gloves with very light padding seems to work best for me. It lets me still feel the handle well, without getting in the way of my grip! :)

Thanks Leanne. You just made me spend money just when I was trying to be GOOD! LOL

Oops! Sorry, Wendy! ;) I've been meaning to email you to see how your KB rotation is going. Are you still liking it? Are you getting good results?

I wish we had had more time to visit on the RT! I'm shy, too, and kept wanting to chat with you more, but always felt shy about it! :eek:

A couple of alternatives to using gloves for KB (which sometimes have too good of a grip that don't allow the bell to move naturally):

Cut off the foot portion of a pair of socks, and use the top portion as a grip.

Use weight-lifting chalk (magnesium carbonate). Can be messy, but is cheap.

I've tried the sock ends as grips, but that actually seemed to impede the movement more than using gloves . . . . Kathryn, what do you use when you do your KB workouts?

I wanted to chat more with you as well, Leanne, but it seemed every time I saw you, you were yappin' up a storm with another RT'er and I didn't want to interrupt! :) As for my KB work outs, they are on hold. I am just finishing up a 4DS rotation and will begin a CTX rotation very soon. After CTX I will likely venture back into KB's for a few weeks!

As for protecting my hands during KB work outs, I use my weight lifting gloves. At first it felt awkward but after doing a work out or 2 with naked hands and it hurting and creating blisters, there was no way I was going to continue that route. I got used to the gloves quickly and haven't had any problems at all. :)

I just got an email that the second volume of The KB Way with Anthony and Beth is ready for pre-ordering!

Here's the link to Vol. II of The KB Way:

http://store.beacon-fitness.com/servlet/-strse-13/The-Kettlebell-Way,-Volume/Detail

Leanne, you said this is a preorder, but I don't see anything about preorder on the website (maybe I'm missing it). If it is a preorder do you have an idea of when it ships?

This is perfect for me, I was just itching to buy another DVD and as an added bonus DH is doing these Kettlebell workouts as well.

Kathryn, what do you use when you do your KB workouts?
I haven't done them for a while:eek:, but I just used a bit of chalk. I especially chalk down the 'upper palm', right below the fingers, where most calluses start to develop.

Leanne, you said this is a preorder, but I don't see anything about preorder on the website (maybe I'm missing it). If it is a preorder do you have an idea of when it ships?

This is perfect for me, I was just itching to buy another DVD and as an added bonus DH is doing these Kettlebell workouts as well.

Hi Lisa,

Oops! I thought it said so on their website, but it was in the email they sent me. Here's what the email said:

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"Are you ready to take it to the next level? If you are, then "The Kettlebell Way, Volume II" is for you. This two DVD set gives you a choice of three different workouts that will, together with "The Kettlebell Way to Your Perfect Body", give you the most effective and complete weekly workout system available in home fitness. Learn more.

Volume II is still in production but will be ready in time for the Christmas rush. Demand will be heavy and back-orders will pile up so buy now, lock in your special price and be among the first to receive "The Kettlebell Way - Volume II". All special offer purchases are guaranteed to be shipped on or before November 18, 2008."

So it looks like it won't be out for a few more months! :(

If you're looking for another good KB workout, these two are also fabulous:

Keith Weber
http://www.dragondoor.com/dv052.html

AOS Newport (on sale at Perform Better right now)
http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4886_A_CategoryID_E_420

Aren't they fun?? :D

[/FONT]

I wanted to chat more with you as well, Leanne, but it seemed every time I saw you, you were yappin' up a storm with another RT'er and I didn't want to interrupt! :) As for my KB work outs, they are on hold. I am just finishing up a 4DS rotation and will begin a CTX rotation very soon. After CTX I will likely venture back into KB's for a few weeks!

As for protecting my hands during KB work outs, I use my weight lifting gloves. At first it felt awkward but after doing a work out or 2 with naked hands and it hurting and creating blisters, there was no way I was going to continue that route. I got used to the gloves quickly and haven't had any problems at all. :)

Ah, Wendy, I wish you would have interrupted! :D I like your idea of doing 4DS and then CTX for awhile. I didn't like the blisters I was getting without gloves either!:mad:

I haven't done them for a while:eek:, but I just used a bit of chalk. I especially chalk down the 'upper palm', right below the fingers, where most calluses start to develop.

Great idea, Kathryn! Thanks for sharing this tip; I think I'll give it a try!

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]If you're looking for another good KB workout, these two are also fabulous:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Keith Weber[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.dragondoor.com/dv052.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]AOS Newport (on sale at Perform Better right now)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4886_A_CategoryID_E_420[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Aren't they fun?? :D[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Thanks for the info Leanne. I'm scared of these other 2 you mention especially for just myself. I showed them to DH and he says he doesn't need them, darn it. I'll preorder the Kettlebell Way II one in a couple days (once the credit card closes for the month...gotta time it right so I don't get the bill too soon. :p )

Thanks for the info Leanne. I'm scared of these other 2 you mention especially for just myself. I showed them to DH and he says he doesn't need them, darn it. I'll preorder the Kettlebell Way II one in a couple days (once the credit card closes for the month...gotta time it right so I don't get the bill too soon. :p )

Hi Lisa,

You know, the Extreme Cardio one isn't too crazy . . . if you use your pause button! :p

Not to enable you further or anything (;)), but I also just did this one for the first time a couple of days ago, and I think you might really like it:

http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/videos.html

The pacing of it is much closer to The KB Way, and Lauren's personality is really great. It might be a nice fill-in for you until Vol. 2 of The KB Way comes out in November. :)

New Kettlebell Workouts

Has anyone tried either Santa Monica or Anthony & Beth's new one? I too am looking for a new kb workout, and am really torn between the two. I think I've figured out a way to make ropes work in my house, but the ones from AOS are really expensive. I looked everywhere, but can't find any other place to get them. If anyone has tried either workout, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Janet

I think the Anthony and Beth workouts Leanne mentioned are on pre-order, so nobody has done them yet.:D Who the heck is Beth?

I have the Extreme Kettlebell (thanks chica) and Lauren's, and the three Anthony's...my favorite thus far is probably Extreme Kettlebell for some reason, weird I know, even though there are no rests, I just like the combo's he does. Its fun. But Anthony cannot be beat either, and Lauren's isn't as hard, but her personality is great like Leanne said, and for those days when you just don't have it to give, this is a great one I think. Well, except for the finale, which tears it up good.:p

Oh I just wear my weightlifting gloves, they seem to work fine for me. I have had callouses on my hands forever, but the bells hurt, so the gloves are a godsend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.