New Job/when to workout?!

igglesfan

Cathlete
Hi all! I'm a bit of a lurker here but I love reading everyone's posts, they really get me moving! So I got a job yesterday, yay! I'm a nurse and I'm going back after being home with the kids for 10 years. Unfortunately for financial reasons I've had to take the full-time position. So now I am faced with working 8-5 Monday-Friday with about 30 minutes each way commute(adding more when it starts to snow here any day), dropping and picking up kids at daycare, homework, dinner, etc. My worry is getting my workouts in! I know it sounds like a little problem to some but this is important to me especially with the holidays coming up where I tend to add a few pounds:( How do you all do it? I am imagining myself exhausted by the time the kids are in bed to even workout. DH says he will do whatever it takes to help me out but he also works crazy long hours along with travelling. Do you think doing a quick weight workout in the am and pm along with the running I will be doing in the office will be OK until I can get full workouts done on the weekends? I give all you women who do it all credit cause I don't know how you do it. This is going to be a whole lot of getting used to:) Sorry to ramble, new job jitters! Thanks for any tips you can give me:) Have a great weekend!

First off, congrats on the new job. It is difficult but you'll be fine since you have the desire to get your workouts in-that's half the battle. I think you'll probably have to go for early morning workouts. I work 8-5 also (currently on maternity leave for another 2 weeks) and I plan on going back to 5am workouts. The first couple weeks of that is tough but it gets easier. I know that for me doing it before work is my best option because there are too many distractions at night. Good luck.

congrats on your new job!!!!! I work 9 hour days monday thru thursday (8-6) and then a half day on frida (8-1) I get up at 5a.m. to get my workout in as its the only time i'll do it. The first week kicked my butt but after that I was fine and now for the most part i don't have trouble getting up.

Thanks for the well wishes and the tips. Although I was afraid you all were going to say get up at 5:) I think that is what I'm going to have to do. Looks like an extra cup of coffee is on my morning list! Wish me luck!

Hi there,
I have to tell you, you are me 8 months ago! I got a new full time job and "tried" to do the 5am thing...well needless to say it's been tough and I haven't done that well with it. My workouts have suffered and so as a result my weights gone UP! I've gained about 5lbs and it's really bothering me. I saw your post and I thought "thats it monday am its 5 am and I just have to stick to it". It really is the only time! Good luck and I'll be thinking of you! Wishing us both luck
Elena

Thanks for the well wishes and the tips. Although I was afraid you all were going to say get up at 5:) I think that is what I'm going to have to do. Looks like an extra cup of coffee is on my morning list! Wish me luck!

How many workouts per week do you want to do? I would also say the 5 am solution because its really tough to power through a workout after a 9 hour day plus the family obligations. Can you do 30 minute workouts during the week? And aim for two long workouts on the weekend? Lets pretend you wanted a 4-5 day rotation. Do you focus on weights or more body weight based strength?

Perhaps like this:
M 30 min. AM cardio
T off
W 20 min. HIIT AM cardio
T off or easy yoga
F 45 min. steady state cardio
Sa Upper body
Su Lower body

If you focus on your diet you should be ok. The trick is to be certain you eat enough vegetables and healthy fats. I don't know if that will help you at all. Congratulations on the new job. :D

I think even 20 minutes a day of intense exercise is enough to keep you strong and healthy, and it sounds like you will be moving around during the day. Don't make exercise another source of stress.

Focus on your diet, and you should keep your wieght in check. Instead of trying to exercise off 500 calories a day in an hour, exercise off 200 of them in 20 minutes, and eat 300 calories less than you normally do. It comes out to the same thing.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I think I'm going to focus on 30 minutes in the morning of cardio or weights and make the weekends my longer workouts. I will be on the move constantly at work so hopefully that helps along with not having access to the kitchen all day:) I think I may treat myself after my first paycheck to a new treadmill that I keep next to my bed so no excuses! Thanks again. I will probably be back looking for a kick in the butt after I start work especially considering I have my niece's wedding in 3 months and I have my eye on a nice sleeveless dress! Have a great day:)

Just be aware as you get used to your new schedule it might be a little tough in the first week to actually workout. You'll need to time to adjust. Congrats on the new job. The world needs more great nurses :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.