New Balance Disc?

What is a balance disc? Like a balance type ball (flat and hard on one side and half an inflated ball on the other)?

What is a balance disc? Like a balance type ball (flat and hard on one side and half an inflated ball on the other)?
No, what you are describing is a Bosu, I believe. A balance disc is smaller, and round, and
semi-inflated is how I would describe it.....Cathe has one now in her fitness accessories
store.

When Cathe first mentioned she was going to be offering a balance disc, I was excited as I have requested workouts to include balance challenges, cuz as we age balance becomes an issue for independence and longevity. So I googled, checked Amazon & watched YouTube videos. A Bosu can be considered a balance tool, as can those boards you hear of people nearly breaking their necks using. I was hoping Cathe would offer something safer & it appears she has. Her's can be adjusted by increasing/decreasing the air. Check out some YouTube videos to see if you might benefit from this new tool.

I so wish Cathe would do some workouts using the BOSU!! It
has so many uses - balance, easier for joints, strength (holding
it out and overhead), core work and using it to replace step. Can you
tell I LOVE my BOSU?? :cool::):D

Tattoo... Thanks for the ideas on how one might use a Bosu. I don't have one as I don't have any dvd that uses one & therefore pretty clueless about its benefits. So .. it can replace a step for step workouts?! Even choreographed ones like Step Sync or Party RockinStep? Does it bounce, can you do jumps on it?

Tattoo... Thanks for the ideas on how one might use a Bosu. I don't have one as I don't have any dvd that uses one & therefore pretty clueless about its benefits. So .. it can replace a step for step workouts?! Even choreographed ones like Step Sync or Party RockinStep? Does it bounce, can you do jumps on it?
I would say the BOSU would be a better substitute for the step with very basic/athletic choreography step workouts that might utilize weights and/or other equipment in a circuit, etc. as opposed to workouts with just complex choreography that focus on the footwork. I do not have Cathe‘s step workouts that you mentioned since I do not enjoy workouts that include more complex choreography. ;)

Yes, you can definitely bounce on it…a fun move is 3 little jumps, then jump down in a straddle in a squat. Or, bounce 3 times and then hold (balance) on top in a low squat holding weights out in front of you…can be quite tough for 5-6 counts and challenging weights! There are so many different moves and one instructor that I love is awesome for her wonderful creativity using the BOSU. But for longer durations of just plain jumping, I would recommend a rebounder more so than a BOSU. ;)

I stream my BOSU workouts from a subscription site and/or YouTube in which I have found so many FUN & challenging BOSU workouts. (I still have yet to find a FUN BOSU workout on DVD…hoping maybe Cathe will comply one day! Or maybe the BOSU would work with her balance disc workout?);) I hope this helps.

A balance disc is a round inflatable cushion. In Pilates I have used it under the pelvis to exaggerate pelvis movements from side to side and back and forward. This trains the brain to understand where the pelvis is and how it is moving. Then when you take the disc out and perform exercises you are able to tell if you are moving or stabilising your pelvis correctly. You can also sit and stand on it to challenge balance. I don't tend to use it so much these days as I now have an Oov which is another type of balance and stability tool.

I love Bosu! I discovered Bosu from Yvette Bachman’s YouTube workouts. Once my foot is 100% and I’m used to my knee support I hope to do her Bosu stuff again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.