New 10 mile PR, Thanks to Cathe and Coach Sean!

jdimascio

Cathlete
Yesterday I participated in my favorite race, the Broad Street Run, in Philly. I have done this race since 96, even twice when I was pregnant. Anyway, I have held tight at a 66 minutes personal record for a couple of years, and as soon as I added heavy weights with Cathe's DVD and her cardio workouts, my time has improved each year. This year I turned 40 and I convinced myself that I am getting older and my times will probably never be the same. Well, yesterday I knocked off 7 seconds from my PR. I finished the race in 62:47. So, I averaged 6:16 minute miles.

So, I am not hear to boast, but to prove that you can improve your endurance and speed my working out to Cathe. 80% of the time I was doing a Cathe workout, and 2 times a week I ran...no joke, and I used Cardio Coach (RIP Sean O'Malley) for my runs. The only bad thing about training this way, is I really had no idea how I was going to do. What's even crazier is that most of my runs were on the treadmill. I am so grateful that I found Cathe and I don't think I would still be running to this day. I used to run too much and I started to really dread it. But adding Cathe has added fun and variety to my workouts, but still challenging me in so many ways.

Cardio Caoch is great too..if anyone is a runner and have never done a Cardio Coach workout, you are really missing out. Somehow my best runs are accomplished when I am listening to coach Sean.

I have many runner friends and a lot of them have a personal trainer, they usually log runs up to 85 miles a week, running about 6 day a week. My trainer is Cathe (with some help from Sean) and I log 20 miles a week...and I feel great, especially today, the day after my race, which is usually a painful day for me.

BTW, this race pulls in 40,000 runners...I finished 303 overall, 30th female.

Congrats Jenn!! You are amazing and very inspiring :)

On the topic of choosing to do Cathe workouts to improve overall cardio conditioning and lean muscle mass, I would have to agree with you 110%. I workout at home to Cathe 80-90% of the time, and in probably better shape than most of the folks who go to the gym. She is THE BEST trainer a home exerciser could ask for.

Congrats again! Keep up the great work!

Natasha

Way to go, Jenn! That's a fantastic pace...congratulations.

I agree that variety is key to keeping our bodies challenged. I don't use my Cardio Coach workouts as much as I should, so thanks for the reminder.

Michelle

Congatulations Jenn!

I loved reading your success story.:D

Your PR's and even better PR's are impressive and inspiring!

I experienced the same realization as you: more weights + less running = better running. Seems like strong glutes along with a strong core is the magic ticket.

I agree with your other formula too -

Cathe+ Cardio Coach = Success

(p.s. yes, Sean will be missed.)

Jenn:

congrats! Coach Sean would have loved to hear of your success. A bittersweet victory for him. A fabulous achievement for you!

Never let it be said that less running and treadmill running cannot lead to improved running and greater enjoyment! I am totally with you on this one.

Clare

Jenn:

can I ask you, which Cathe cardio workouts in particular helped you? Also, when you say heavy weights, are you referring to the STS series or another that helped you with this?

For your two runs per week, how do you spend the time? Do you do a long run at steady pace or with tempo sections and a second run with intervals thrown in? How do you work it? Or do you let your energy levels dictate which sort of run you do on any given day?

Thanks! I'm hoping to imitate your success. I found your post today so inspiring. Thank you for it.

Clare

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks for your kind words. And for those interested in what I have been doing, here's a general breakdown:

For strength, I typically follow a 3 day split, so right now I've been doing STS, but also have one other weighted workouts like Gymstyle, S&H, etc. I always doing at least one plyometric workouts once a week like Cathe's HIIT or Cardio Core Circuit. Also I love step, so I try to do step once a week, usually an IMAX or Intensity. I ran twice a week, my Tuesday run would usually be anywhere from 6-8 miles and my Saturday run would be anywhere from 10-12. So the mileage was high on those days, but I needed to since I was training for 10. I used Cardio Coach to add variety and intensity. His intervals really push me to fast! I sometimes did steady state especially the 2 weeks before the race. Here's an example of my rotation:

Mon. - STS upper
Tues. - STS legs, 6 mile run
Wed. - cardio, something like afterburn, or cardio core circuit
Thurs. - STS - upper
Fri. - step, imax3 for example
Sat. - long run, sometimes an added leg workout

I also did core/abs 3times a week.

I will now focus on 5ks and 5 milers. So I will lower my mileage and work on speed.

Jenn,

I loved reading about your success! Congratulations to you and, judging from your rotations, you have totally earned it. I have always been impressed with your PR stats but I am so glad to read that Cathe and Cardio Coach helped contribute to your success as a runner.

Since I started running about a year ago, I gave up a lot of my high impact Cathe because it was too hard on me in the beginning. I am ready to start putting more Cathe strength and plyo in my weekly routine and hopefully build up some endurance and speed. After I run my second half marathon in Chicago this weekend, that is, cuz I'm tapering this week. :D

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Gives me encouragement to bring Cathe back into my schedule more consistently and not worry about losing any running capabilities.

Liz

Jenn,

Congrats and way to go!!! I do Cardio Coach on my elliptical and absolutely love it!

Brenda

Jenn,

I loved reading about your success! Congratulations to you and, judging from your rotations, you have totally earned it. I have always been impressed with your PR stats but I am so glad to read that Cathe and Cardio Coach helped contribute to your success as a runner.

Since I started running about a year ago, I gave up a lot of my high impact Cathe because it was too hard on me in the beginning. I am ready to start putting more Cathe strength and plyo in my weekly routine and hopefully build up some endurance and speed. After I run my second half marathon in Chicago this weekend, that is, cuz I'm tapering this week. :D

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Gives me encouragement to bring Cathe back into my schedule more consistently and not worry about losing any running capabilities.

Liz

Good luck this weekend!!! Cathe workouts are hard, but they get easier (still hard...ha ha). I love variety too, running too much will cause overuse/injury...need to work laterally too and that gets neglected when you only run.

Have fun at the half. I am doing a half in September.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.