Neutering Cats??

naughtoj

Cathlete
Ok, another question..

I was under the impression that when you have a cat neutered that they no longer have testicles. However, we took one of our male cats to get neutered and he still looks like he has somewhat of ball-sacs, maybe just smaller testicles. Point is......they are not COMPLETELY removed, they just looked "shrunken".

I ask because I am trying to figure out if my outside cat "Moochie" is fixed before I take him to the vet for the procedure. He has testicles??

I feel sorta stupid asking this question, but oh well....}(

I find it depends on the vet, and how young the cat is when he's fixed, but most cats will have distinct male "bulges" back there if they are neutered when they are adults. My dearly departed Frisco had the cutest black fur sacs after he was neutered. But on some cats, you can't tell at all.

I see all variations on neutered male cat anatomy at the shelter I volunteer at (where they have all been neutered and spayed by the time I see them).

I think neutering technique has changed over the years, because when I was a kid, I don't think our male cats looked "masculin" in any way--if you get my drift. Now, vets just remove the testicles themselves and leave the scrotum.

In my experience, most unneutered male adults look very different from neutered males: like they are about to explode! Some even walk funny...I kid you not!

Is this kitty spraying? Does he roam a lot? Does he call to your cat when he's outside? Those are pretty good signs that he's still got his male anatomy intact.

The only techique I am aware of in cat neutering is to remove the testicles.

Sometimes post op, an older male will have some swelling for a few days and some of my clients have had the same questions you have.

I'm not sure in writing I could describe if your stray has been neutered or not:eek:

Lisa

Both of my male neutered cats have their scrotums (or is it scroti?) intact. The vet simply removed the testicles from the scrotum - so they still look male-ish. My parents' male cat is the same way. Not to worry, I believe this is a fairly common way of doing it these days. :)

Yes, I think this is very common. My sister's dog and one of our cats still have the scrotum intact but the 'inards' are gone. We like to say it's so they won't be made fun of by all the other animals ^^
Let's them keep a little bit of their manhood!
maddie

Janice,

The neutering procedure does indeed remove the testicles, through small incisions in the scrotum. As has been said, older male cats will still retain the scrotal skin and may appear to have testicles. Intact male cats, especially adults, are easy to tell because they tend to have very "prominent" testicles (about the size of small grapes) and they are firm. (Not that you want to be squeezing his scrotum!!) A neutered cat my have scrotal skin, but it would be soft. HTH!!

Is he feeling better?

Oh Great! Now I gotta go around squeezing testicles!! LOL

I am still trying to keep the now indoor "sick kitty" Tuxedo inside. He is still wailing and meowing. It has been a long rough road. He still has diarrhea but to be honest I probably have been feeding him WAY too much and some forbidden foods (ham and chicken, LOL) Hey, I gotta spoil him while I got him! Wed morn is his neutering. Keep your fingers crossed that I can get him in the carrier. I know he is still "intact". He hasn't been spraying...atleast I don't think. His urine is very strong though and very unpleasant as is the diarrhea...yuck!

Outside stray kittie, "moochie" hangs out 100% of the time outside our back door and seems very friendly, very much like a NEUTERED male but he does seem to have ball sacs. Also, the one that I have neutered before that I said still had his sacs was only one year old when I had him neutered. Right after the procedure he appeared to still have them (although I wasn't comparing before and after sizes). Hmmm. Very interesting. I have to take Moochie to the vet anyway for ear mites but am waiting for things to calm down here at the feline hospital, LOL.

I feel much like a new mom....many feedings per day, no sleep, "baby" howling and crying...LOL......great practice!

:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.