Negative Comments

No, I totally agree that the kind of thinking and posts you mentioned do point to a problem. I think what I see most in that kind of thinking is just a lack of education about how the body works, in terms of metabolism, etc. There are some people who still think that being thin is the goal, not being fit, and that to lose bodyfat you eat like a bird and sweat like a hog. Doesn't work that way, and most people know that by now, but some people just need to be educated on nutrition and basic kinesiology. Hopefully, we all provide that here on the forum. I know I've learned a lot and I thought I knew it all already! ;)

So I don't think it's that anyone disagrees with what you were saying. I know, speaking for myself, I just think it's ok for people to be open about making those comments so they get the help and support they need in turning that around and learning the truth. I think the bottom line is that we're all after the same thing, ultimately, even if some of us don't know it yet or don't know how to do it yet.

Take care!

Hi Dorothy,

No, by all means you didn't upset me at all. I think it is great that you did start a new thread and I am also glad that you are comfortable in my own skin. I guess when I read some of these posts, it really hit close to home. It is always hard to hear people discuss what is my biggest insecurity. My point was yes it is a must that people should feel fit and healthy at any size, but that many, many people are just not quite there yet.
I don't discuss my weight issues with my circle of friends, because they just tell me I am crazy and that I should get over it. Maybe I am because in reality I know a size 8 is not fat. I also now that I am very fit. But unfortunately I am still uncomfortable in my own skin. As I stated before, I was a size 0 just about 2 years ago and now I am a size 8 and to me that is a huge difference. Size 0 wasn't healthy, but it is almost tramatic to watch myself go up 8 dress sizes even though I needed to.

Again, I didn't mean to offend or point the finger at anyone. I just wanted to say that I have body issues and I want them to change for the better, and I need peoples patience and kindness in order to do so.

Take care!
Christine

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I have so much to learn about acceptance and knowing how much weight loss is enough, how much time spent on fitness is enough. I've always struggled with my weight, even though I am not overweight by the charts. So, it just helped reading all your educated comments. I read recently that Courtney Thorne-Smith, the actor, is taking a time out (she was "Georgia" on Ally McBeal) because she is so worn out from extreme dieting and exercising to be super-thin (and I assume, compete with Callista Flockhart). I have always wondered how these women in the media do it (because it's a heck of a lot of work for me to be a normal weight, not model-thin) and I felt an "ah-hah!" when I read this -- they are just killing themselves. That's how (most) of them do it. And I DON'T want to do that. I have too much else in my life. It makes me sick to know that's the ideal held up to all women. They think we should all look like that, and in my experience, it just isn't going to happen. Hope I can keep reading posts from all of you to counteract that.
Meredith

Dealing with frustrations

I believe there is a big difference between being frustrated with your body and working hard to improve it, and having a body image disorder.
I also have been under treatment for 6 years for Candida like Lex, and my wieght has bounced between a size 7 to a size 16. I never eat a lot, but what I eat is critical and I have to watch it every single day. A lot of foods are pure poison to me. Meds loop me out, too.
Even though it is truly OK esoterically to be whatever weight/size you are (provided you are healthy), it is also critically important to be HAPPY there.
Having a body image disorder is a hell that is indescribable. I was treated for anorexia-bulemia when I was 12 for 6 months. I had a physician tell me I was obese (I was a size 10 and had already had my period for two years.) I took him seriously, and ate salad for 5 months. When I had to eat to avoid getting caught, I threw up. My Mom saw me that summer in a bathing suit and bawled--I had covered it up until I stopped realizing I was in trouble. It was AWFUL! But I've been OK ever since treatment, although I do get FRUSTRATED.
But to people who haven't been through it, it can sound like whining and obsessive, narcisistic drivel. I know--especially when you see folks who are AT your goal weight working out like demons & obsessing over 5 pounds.
For me, I feel happiest at a size 9. It is, as I get older, harder and harder to maintain. Ten pounds on my 5'2" frame means none of my clothes fit because that equals a whole two sizes for me. I get totally frustrated because everything is digging into my waist or won't even fit, and I can't afford new clothes.
I guess my point is perspective...we are all here to support eachother emotionally. And we all feel free to let it "all hang out" and no-one needs to apologize for their feelings.
Body image is an integral part of our culture, and it needs to be minimized. What we do here, this is how it is going to get better for ourselves and our kids: one post at a time, one friend at a time, one helping hand to another.
Keep the posts coming, and remember that at least one person who reads this site has been where you are and can help you feel better.

RE: Dealing with frustrations

Fitness comes in all shapes and sizes! Cathe and the FIRM have been great in their latest videos by showing all different body types. I'm am always inspired by the lady I call "The fit hour glass" (Older, wears leggins, usuallly in the back row) in the FIRM viedos.

Fitness comes in all shapes and sizes! Cathe and the FIRM have been great in their latest videos by showing all different body types. I'm am always inspired by the lady I call "The fit hour glass" (Older, wears leggins, usuallly in the back row) in the FIRM viedos.

Kristina, this is my first time responding to a forum and I was so touched when I read your post I had to say Thank You! Your last paragraph was inspiring. One post at a time, one friend at a time and one helping hand at a time is what it's all about isn't it? Acceptance, you have got to accept yourself, and not judge yourself so harshly, because, if we don't love ourselves than who will? And I have been where you have, suffering from anorexia but not at 12 years old but 24 years old! And being "skinny" did nothing except bring heartache to those who loved me. Now I am not "skinny" but I am fit! I can charge up a flight of stairs and not even change my breathing pattern! leaving my friends, family and co-workers in the dust!!! Not to be mean, but to again reinforce being fit is so much more important than being a size 6. Amen... Thanks again Kristina, Janet R.

Hi Lex- I have a question for you-you seem be something of an expert on nutrition and health and I have been just fascinated by your posts in the past and I wondered if you could tell me a little more about Candida-your mention of it made me wonder if I might have it.I am a completely hopeless carb addict (two sincere attempts at "The Zone" just left me so tired I couldn't move much less work out at normal intensity) and when I get hungry I straight out lose my mind!No matter how good my intentions the clean diet fails me. I get headachy and grouchy but as soon as I give in to temptation and eat some simple carbs I feel better and get my energy back.Does that sound suspicious to you?:-hmmm

First of all, thank you for the compliments. I'm no expert, but I am passionate about learning all I can about nutrition and exercise for my own benefit and to help my family and friends. Whatever I learn and find to be especially true and useful, I post here to spread the word. I figure stuff that helps me can help anyone and why keep it to myself?

It does sound like it could be Candida, but a carb addict isn't always a Candidiasis sufferer, and vice versa. My best advice to start investigating the possibility os to check out a good book, like The Body Ecology Diet. That takes a while to get if you order it online, but a lot of big health food stores, that sell books, sell that one. Whole Foods in particular. It addresses everything about Candidiasis; what it is, what it feels like to have it, how to get back in balance, etc. The author also has a website to accompany the book's info (www.bodyecologydiet.com) that might also have the "test" you take to see if you think you have it. The only real way to know for sure is to try the elimination diet and see how your body responds. It's very difficult, I won't kid you, but it's also been THE most significant life changing event in my life. Because when I got my body balance and health back, I became a happier person all around. Weight loss was a nice side benefit, but my focus was feeling good, which I never did.

If you'd like, feel free to email me ([email protected]) and I'd be happy to shoot the breeze further about it all. It could just be that you have a sugar addiction, which I take as seriously as alcoholism. It's a physical response thing, your body becomes accustomed to a certain high from any type of sugar, whether it's table sugar or breads. My sister-in-law has that problem and she's experimenting with the Carb Addict's Diet. It has some sound ideas, but I'm still waiting to get my copy of the book to read myself and to see how she does. Her situation with sugar is reall bad. I think she also has a Cnadida imbalance but she doesn't feel she has the desire to follow the Body Ecology Plan, even loosely. It's a big committment, and for a lot of people it's a big change in lifetstyle. For me, it wasn't so new, just more like mom's cooking than my recent bad habits. But start with checking out the website and book to see if it rings familiar to you. And don't be discouraged or intimidated, because at first everyone reads the book and thinks "no way! I can't do this!" So just ignore that alarm that will inevitably go off. Realize, too, that if you do have a yeast and/or parasitic imbalance, they are living things that havea lot of control over your body. My doc and I were pondering the possibility that they can even effect your decisions when they threaten their existence. For instance, making you think you can't possibly follow the plan. I know that sounds far out, but I think we all know how amazing micro-organisms can be. The way viruses mutate to survive isn't a far cry from thinking parasites might guide you away from a way to flush them out of their homes. So keep that in mind, that you want to have control over your own body, not let them have the control.

So, one step at a time. Check out the website, then maybe grab the book and let me know what you think. I can help you out with figuring out meals, shopping lists, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.