Needed equipment

daisygirl033

Hi all! I'm new to the site and forum and will be subscribing to Cathe Live / On Demand, however, what equipment do I need to have on hand? Thank you for your help!

If you don't have all the equipment just choose a workout that works with what you currently have.

Certainly THIS!
I had a blast and got into great shape (especially obliques/waist and overall aerobic health!!) Over eight months with three sets of dumbbells, barbell & tubing. That's it!! You could even start and get away with just two sets of dumbbells and you won't feel like you are missing out. Barbell isn't used often and can always be subbed with dumbbells. There are also many cardio workouts that are free range with no equipment like the cardio boxing ones. Barre can simply be done with a proper height chair or counter top. Even sneakers are optional!!
I miss it and am so looking forward to coming back! :cool:

Personally, it depends on how your fitness level is. But, if you are new to Cathe, I would tell someone but the Step with at least two risers. You are going to need two risers because of the exercises. I would buy a good mat. I would buy one with good cushion. I wouldn't buy a mat that is thin because it will hurt your knees. Also, I would buy weights, 1 pound, 2 pounds, 3 pounds, 5 pounds, and 8 pounds. I would buy the weights that aren't metal, but feel like rubber. Also, you can buy loops and stretchy bands. As for a barbell for squats, you can, but if you are a beginner, you probably are not going to focus on it. But, you can use your weights for that, right now. Eventually, you will get stronger and you will want to invest in a barbell. A high step, I got mine later because Cathe has a lot of workouts and the high step isn't is a lot of them.

As for a barre, I would suggest find a good chair that is up to the middle of your waist. But, when you are really into the workout like 6 months, then think about investing in her fit tower. I bought her fit tower this month and waiting for it. Also, you can use a wall for some of the barre exercises.

As for the bike, that is your preference. I don't use a bike because I don't like bikes. I think it isn't necessary. Cathe has so many other workouts, you can get a good workout without it. If you love bike, then do it. I don't like it. I don't like the seat.

It depends if you like Cathe workouts. You may find you don't like it. But, I do suggest investing in the dumbbells and a good mat. Any workout you are going to need that!

I hope that has helped. It is investment, but think of this! You are investing in your self! You are worth it! I have my equipment for more then a year! It lasts!

Last edited:
As you have already had such great advice on what equipment you need, the only thing I thought of adding was that there are also a number of blogs that provide reviews of Cathe's Live workouts, including the exact equipment used for a particular workout, what the workout was like, the exercises included etc so you can get even more of an idea of what to expect - in case this is useful!

Here are a couple to get you started:

For older Cathe Live workouts (before May 2017) - https://2lazy4gym.com/cathe-live

For some of the more recent Cathe Live workouts - https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/recent-posts

Also one of the amazing members of this group compiles and posts a list of all the Cathe Live workouts and equipment and you should be able to find this in this forum too.

About the dumbbells! I think it is a good idea to get it up to 8 pounds. Cathe does these exercises for the back and you need heavier weight. The 8 pounds, is right for that. Your back tends to be able to carry more lifting weight. But always test the weight before doing the exercise before doing it! If it is too heavy, then STOP! You will hurt yourself. But, if the weight is to light, you will not get the benefit. Let's say you have a 1 pound weight and doing a biceps curl! You think this is so easy! Guess what you are right! You are not going to benefit from it! You need to add more weight! I noticed that when I am new to doing resistance training, I get sore the next day! Don't be surprised. But, don't worry it disappears like 3 to 4 days. It doesn't last forever! That is my advice. I am not an expert. That is my experience, so far. Your experience may be different. I hope that has help! Jen!

When I started working out after being fairly sedentary, I was using 3, 5 and 8# dumbbells. After about a year (I am in my mid-60’s and it takes me a while to progress), I bought a set of 10# bells. When those got a little easier doing curls and presses I moved up to 12#. It probably took me two and a half years total and I am now ready to buy a set of 15#’s. You are probably much younger and will progress faster. I was not in good shape when I started!

As far as the step height goes, I started with NO risers, and now usually use one set for cardio and add a second set (8”) for leg work. At age 66, I think I am doing pretty well, I certainly feel strong and fit! Cathe’s Workouts are awesome, I think you will really love them, there is so much variety and they are so challenging. I hope you post again after you try some of the workouts and let us know how you like them.

Hi Daisygirl! I don't know your fitness level! If you are beginner and haven't done much exercise, then you should do modifications when you do Cathe Cardio Sections. Like if she is jogging, you should walk in place, or if she does jumping jacks then you can do a low impact modification.

When I first started Cathe, I could only do Basic Step because I didn't know I could modify the workout. I am glad you got On Demand because you can watch the workout from beginning to end.

If I could tell myself back then is it is okay to modify the workout! Rome wasn't built in a day! You will work up stamina to get up to doing the workout with less modifications. I remember when I could only do Low Max on the step with no risers for only ten minutes. I couldn't go on. Now, I can do it on one risers and complete and a do more of her step and other workouts!

I hope that this has help! Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.