Need strength training DVD buying advice please !

SusanMcL

Cathlete
I'm 66 years old and just starting weight training. I've done cardio and stretching all my life and am healthy except for the extra pounds I'm carrying around.

I'm currently doing the Beginner Rotation using Basic Step/Body Fusion, Low Impact Step/Total Body Sculpting and Stretch Max.

I have purchased, but not tried:
Muscle Max
High Reps
Body Max 2

and some step and core DVDs, but I'm concerned about weight training so those don't count.

I'm starting from the beginning, so I need to develop strength and tone my muscles, but mostly gain strength at this point.

These are the DVDs I'm considering buying:

High Step Circuit (appears to be intermediate. I don't own a High Step though)

Pyramid - upper and lower body

Slow & Heavy

I also like the look of Push Pull, but you have to pay for Supersets which is not appealing to me, so I hate to pay for something I might not use.

I also have the Low Impact Series on order..

I do prefer a weight training DVD as opposed to circuit. I prefer to do cardio and weights on different days. I included High Step Circuit because it is billed as intermediate level.

I can't afford to buy all the ones I'm considering, hence the need for advice. As I said, I don't own a High Step and I haven't yet bought a barbell, but the barbell is on my "I need it" list..... but I need to spread my purchases out over time.

Any thoughts, advice, wisdom and/or opinions on which DVDs to purchase will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !!!

Susan

I don't have Slow and Heavy, but Pyramid Upper and Lower Body are very good workouts and the way it's structured it would work well for someone just starting out.

Don't let the fact that you don't like the sound of Supersets put you off from getting the DVD. Push Pull is a great workout, but the thing that is nice about that two disk set is that there are a LOT of premixes to choose from and you're sure to find some that meet your needs.

I like Supersets/Push Pull, however I'd highly consider getting Cathe's older Pure Strength series. It's a great classic weight workout and it's one of Cathe's best in terms of good form pointers and just general straight forward weight training.

High Step Circuit was a bit too high impact for my joints. I like Slow & Heavy but dont reach for it often, I find the pace too slow for my short attention span!

Pyramid is good though I tend to use just the upper body portion, I dont like the constant changing of the weight plates on the barbell for the lower body portions, whereas the upper body workout uses only dumbells so the transitions are smoother.

The Gym Style workouts are also good but I think the Pure Strength series would be a better place to start.

Last edited:
Cathy and Stacy - thank you for taking the time to reply.

I'll eliminate High Step Circuit - I don't want anything that is high impact (plus I don't own a high step)

I'll leave:

Pyramid
Slow and Heavy
Supersets/Push Pull

on the "maybe" list for the moment and go take a look at the clips for
Pure Strength. I must have missed that one...

Edited to add: Stacy - yes, I looked at the Gym Style clips and those looked too advanced for me right now. They would be something to consider down the road.

Susan

Oops...forgot to add that I didnt have a barbell for a long time and simply substituted dumbells for the barbell. However, my barbell was my best fitness purchase ever and definitely adds some dimension to your workout! I think a good basic barbell should have a 2.5 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb set of plates. Plus take into account the weight of the actual barbell. Mine weighs 5 lbs some of the "olympic" barbells are much heavier and also much longer in length. I believe my barbell is about 5 ft long. Also make sure your barbell has the clasps (?) that are the spring loaded ones, it'll make changing out the plates MUCH quicker. My first barbell you had to screw them on, so I had to unscrew the ends to change the weights....got really annoying!

And with regard to the high step, Cathe uses it in a few exercises in various videos for "step up" exercises for legs, I've also just used my regular aerobic step and it was just fine. However, I'm a fairly short person, for someone much taller it might not be high enough.

Last edited:
Thanks again Stacy.

After reading here in the forums, I have the Troy Lite barbell set bookmarked for a future purchase.

I was actually debating this morning whether I should buy these extra DVDs or buy the barbell first instead. It's one or the other at the moment....

That's good to know.. that I can use my regular step for the high step in some instances.

I have a regular step, stability ball, resistance band, good cushy mat and several sets of dumbbells. Hence the need to space out my other purchases :D What with the equipment that I've already bought and the existing Cathe DVDs and the pre-order of the new Low Impact Series, I'm feeling a little broke.... lol

As I said in my first post, I do own Muscle Max, High Reps and Body Max 2 (in which I like the looks of the Upper Body chapter).

So I'm torn... get a couple more DVDs and use my dumbbells or get the barbell and use the DVDs that I have..... hmmmmmm

I'd love to hear opinions !!!!

I vote for the Barbell and use the dvd's you have. High Reps and Muscle Max are both great and Body Max 2 has a great "double upper body" premix!!

I'd suggest Pure Strength or Gym Style as your next purchase (depending on your strength gains by then) since they are both split routines whereas HR and MM are total body workouts!

Have fun!!

okay... I'm going to smash the piggy bank and go for broke... :eek:

As I said, I already own:
Muscle Max
High Reps
Body Max 2 (for the upper body workout)

In my shopping cart, I currently have (but haven't pushed "buy" yet):

Pyramid (20% off)
Supersets/Push Pull (20% off)
Pure Strength (30 % off) (that brings it down to $20.. helluva good deal)
Ab Circuits

I threw Ab Circuits in there to get free shipping - plus it looks like a great collection of varied and interesting core workouts.

I'll leave Gym Styles and Slow and Heavy on my Wish List for next year...

AND... I'll go over to fitness1st.com and order the Troy Lite barbell set.

and that's it... I'm done !!!!! lol

I can see how one ends up with ALL of Cathe's DVDs... Yikes... this is addictive......

I'll sleep on it and push the "Buy Button" tomorrow......

Not helping, but...

What about the Power Hour +, a classic DVD (also on sale?) that includes Power Hour, MIS and BM original. I've used PH and MIS by chunking out a few body parts a day. You can do that with any of the ones you already own, too. Plus use Pause as needed to regroup.
I also have used BM 1 and 2 as upper body only for something sorta quick and dirty.

What exactly is it you need to get the ball rolling? Small bites? Moderate intensity? Premixes? Form support? Just asking, maybe that will help you narrow it down.

All Cathe's are are great and have fans.

Hi FnV ... thanks for coming over to take a look...

I look the looks of MIS and Power Hour. MIS in particular. BM is too high impact for these old joints :) Although I own BM2... from watching it, I'm guessing I will only use the Upper Body chapter for the foreseeable future.

But I'll put that DVD on my Wish List for later. Thank you !!!

What do I need/want? hmmmmmm...

I think I'm looking for Upper Body and Lower Body premixes or chapters set up so that I can do Upper and Lower Body separately. I'm thinking of 3 days of cardio, 2 days of upper body and 2 days of lower body with 2 days of core/abs in there somewhere.

I'm looking for moderation. Moderate weights, moderate number of repetitions. Pointers on form. Something to help me slowly build up muscle strength and learn to do it correctly.

I also like slower reps so that I can have enough time to do the exercises properly. Not as slow as in Slow & Heavy... but I've noticed that in some DVDs the pace is slower than in others.

Of course, I have no problem modifying. I can always do fewer reps at a slower pace and still keep up with the program until I grow into it......

or I can count the number of repetitions that Cathe and crew do, pause the DVD, do the same number of reps but at my speed, then restart the DVD.

I'm flexible and patient ....

Yes... you are right.... they all look good. That's the problem.... too many choices....lol

Last edited:
Cathy, Stacy, Sharron and FnV,

Thank you so much for your help. I just placed my order.

I got:
Pure Strength
Pyramid Upper & Lower
Supersets / Push Pull

That should keep me busy for a while.... I'm excited.

I still have Slow and Heavy and the Gym Style series on my Wish List for next year. But for now, I have plenty to work with !!!

Thanks again ...............

I've been in a workout slump and dusted off my Pure Strength Series dvd this morning and did Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. I had forgotten what a gem this series was!

I'm glad you suggested Pure Strength to me. I had zipped right by that one without even looking. Now I shall anxiously await my new DVDs.

I've been in a workout slump and dusted off my Pure Strength Series dvd this morning and did Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. I had forgotten what a gem this series was!

A gem? How can I pass up a gem? Great, now I have another series I want. Thanks, Stacy~~ : >

Go for it FnV :p

It's so funny to see Cathe in short curly hair and she and Cedie looking so young. Not that they look old now... you know what I mean...

Does anyone know when that series was made?

It does look great in the clips, I can't wait to try it !!

Edited to add:

Pure Strength's 3 workouts are all on one DVD which has a "sale price" of $29.97 AND.... even though it isn't listed in this coupon, if you put in the 30% off coupon code, you get 30% off of that bringing it down to just over $20 for the whole series !!! Can't beat that price for a gem !!

http://cathe.com/your-last-reason-for-not-starting-just-went-back-to-school

I discovered that by accident. I originally had the Slow & Heavy series in my cart with the 30% off coupon code and when I put Pure Strength in the cart it automatically gave that the 30% off discount too....

Last edited:
Another question.......

After I finish the Beginner Rotation, which DVD(s) would be good to start with for building some strength and learning good form?

Here's what I'll have..

Muscle Max
High Reps
Body Max 2 (for the upper body chapter)
Pyramid - upper and lower
Supersets / Push Pull
Pure Strength

I read somewhere... can't remember where..... that Muscle Max and High Reps are for muscle endurance.
That makes sense for High Reps. Is that true for Muscle Max also?

What are the rest? muscle endurance or muscle strength?

and which is better to start with? muscle endurance or muscle strength? or it doesn't matter at my stage of this journey??

And... as a beginner.. is it better to do a total body workout twice a week... or upper and lower body each twice a week..

or start with Pure Strength's split format?

There are so many choices, I just need someone to tell me what to start with after the Beginner Rotation.
Help ??? !!!! :)

I will, of course, be doing cardio 3 times a week, but I know what to do for that.....

Thanks for your continuing help !!

Last edited:
"and which is better to start with? muscle endurance or muscle strength? or it doesn't matter at my stage of this journey??"

I think a lot of it depends on what you want. Generally, I tend to flip my rotations around so that I'm sometimes doing endurance and sometimes strength. Some people simply prefer to lean in one direction or the other. So, that's a long way of saying it's probably personal choice. ;) And you may find after you do some workouts that you prefer one over the other.

I tend to think of Muscle Max as strength and Muscle Endurance as endurance. They were part of the same series so it wouldn't make sense for them to be the same type of workout.

You're right there are SO many choices. But, the main thing is to pick things you'll like and do. Preview things and see what looks more enjoyable to you. You'll stick with what you like.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.