Need some advice on yoga and pilates...

sweaty1

Hi! I lurk here a lot and post very occasionally; but I really appreciate your insights and conversations.

I have been working out with Cathe for well over 10 years and into fitness for 20. It is part of my life and I am committed to it...it makes my life so great. BUT; I have all of a sudden become very injury prone; developed some beginning arthritis, rotator cuff problems, plantar injury in my foot and back and neck issues. I can't tell you why all of a sudden and working out at the level of Cathe is not working for me; even after weeks (like 4) of complete rest. I am doing a lot of physical therapy, chirpractic, you name it.

So...I need to do yoga and pilates for now. I am a Cathe workout freak and those are the types of workouts I prefer. But, I believe I can benefit from pilates and yoga right now and still try to maintain my fitness level.

Can you give me any advice on home workouts for yoga and pilates to use? I am familiar with the basics so I believe I can do intermediate and advanced. I would like power yoga I think as I am pretty drawn to a more athletic style; but I certainly wouldn't mind some relaxing stuff that makes me sweat as well! Any help is appreciated (I was sooo looking forward to STS; and I will buy it; but I think it will be a good long time before I can get them done!)
thanks so much for your time...

Becky

Becky,

I dont do pilates.

Here are some suggestions for yoga.

a. Sweaty, strength building yoga with focus on flexibility and balance as well:
- Shiva Rea - Yoga Shakti
This DVD has two tough yoga workoits and one more relaxing lunar flow segment. It is visually breathtaking. If you are intermediate, you should be able to do it all through. Shiva's yoga has technique, it has soul, she is completely non-woo woo and gives a great workout.

- Rodney Yee - Power Yoga Total body
I like Rodney Yee because of his minimalist instruction style. If you are familiar with yoga basics, and like to really concentrate on your yoga, the way he instructs is excellent You dont need to be a contortionist to do this DVD and you still get an amazing workout.

- Zone Zone - Power yoga for Strength & Endurance
I have outgrown most of my Yoga Zone DVDs but I still do this one. It is an ever growing sun salutation with new poses interjected each time you repeat the flow. The new pose is held for a goood 3 to 5 breaths - these are standing poses that really work muscle strength and endurance.

- Bryan Kest - Power Yoga Complete
this DVD has three complete one hour practices that are very strength and endurance focused. Bryan talks. A lot. But if you can get past that the yoga is good.

- Baron Baptiste - almost any power yoga DVD by him
Baron is another talker. Quite woo-woo in his imagery. But his yoga sessions are sweat fests. He uses excellent music.

- Litsa Kapantais has a power yoga DVD called Yogatopia that is low key on production but has some interesting twists to poses.

Balanced yoga focused on elaxation as well as strengthening
-Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart - This is an all time favorite over at VF with the yoginis there. The practice has a magic and charm that is difficult to describe. I feel energized and nicely stretched out after doing it.

Technique focused
- Erich Schiffman - Backbends http://www.movingintostillness.com/acatalog/yoga_dvds.html
If you want a refresher on yoga technique Erich Schiffman is fabulous at helping you with your form and alignment. His Beginner DVDs are great too, but this is a wonderful blend of strength and flexibility for an intermediate.

- Jill Miller - Yoga Link Series
http://www.pranamaya.com/what.html
I have Jill's earlier versions. this is her updated series that includes and improves on her past work. Her DVDs dont feel like classic yoga but they help you build the strength and flexibility to get better at yoga.

~* Vrinda *~

Thank you so much...this is exactly what I was looking for. Wow...

I am kind of excited to learn more and see what it might do for my body. I would like to be 'longer'; I am quite muscular and this may be just what I need.

Thank you so very much...if anyone else wants to chime in, please do!

Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.