Need Lean Protein from NON animal source

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am going to start tracking my food intake and am wondering if you can find "lean protein" from a non animal source? I have always viewed protein as coming from nuts and beans, but is that considered LEAN PROTEIN? I don't know what the difference is between that and regular protein?

How about from fresh fruits and vegetables?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Nuts and seeds are fatty, and beans have quite a bit of carbohydrate. The only thing I can think of is soy - if you're happy eating that (eg tempeh 18g protein, 9g carbs and 11g fat). Also some nut milks are low fat (watch out for added sugar).

I'll try to thnk if there's anything else

Justine

Lean protein

"Lean protein" is really just a marketing term. There isn't any such thing as "lean protein". There are some differences in the absorption rates of different types of protein, but these differences are small and not very consequential when it comes to losing weight or building muscle.

The beat way to get your protein is from wholefoods and though choices are more limited for vegetarians, there are still plenty of choices. We have numerous articles in our Blog on this subject. Here a few of many articles you might want to read on this Subject:

1. Cathe Friedrich - Best Vegan Protein Sources

2. Cathe Friedrich - Vegetables as a Protein Source: Which Veggies Are Best?

3. Cathe Friedrich - Beyond Meat and Dairy: The Best Non-Meat Sources of Protein

4. Cathe Friedrich - The Best Vegetarian Protein Sources

Last edited:
Hi Go bias,

You have had information helping you to select what is best for you.

I just would like to point out that we only have a 45 minutes time slot consumption after lifting. Ideally we, lifters including everyone " looking to tone only" need to get the food into the system as soon as possible.

Now for the recovery matter, i do have about 30 gr of protein powder to help. This help when I work out twice morning and evening. Morning i am fine to work out feeling up and running.

That being said I do cook and ensure I consum enough protein from fish, dairies and meat. I am not restricted in my food consumption.
Plant source protein work for me. I don't need whey protein.

Whey protein is not the best for everyone.

HTH

Most of Latin America dines daily on a dish or rice and beans in various different formats, and for a reason: complete proteins taken care of in one meal with no fuss.

Don't let your eating become neurotic. As SNM said in their post: whole foods. Keep what's on your plate looking as much like real food as possible. It's easier to shop for, easier to prepare, makes you easier to accept at other people's dinner parties and get togethers and will cost a whole lot less than any powders from any jar or packet.

Get yourself a good cookery book of vegetarian and vegan cuisine and experiment and enjoy real food.

Clare

vegan protein.jpg

I like to whip up a "Shrek Smoothie" as my after workout meal.....water or almond milk, HEMP PROTEIN POWDER, fresh spinach or kale, 1/2 banana, ice. Sometimes I'll toss in a nut butter or ground flax, and other times I'll add in berries. My second choice for a post workout meal, even if it's morning, is cooked lentils w garlic!!!!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.