Need Kickboxing help

cherimac

Cathlete
Hi! I'm new to Cathe-about 6 months. I've never done any kickboxing before. Which one of her workouts, Kickmax, KPC or Cardio Kicks, would be better to teach someone totally new to this kind of exercise?

TIA,

Cheri

KPC and Kickmax are more like real kickboxing than Cardio Kicks. Cardio Kicks is more hi/lo aerobics than kickboxing I think. Good luck!

Hi Cheri,

I'm new here too, but I have purchased both KPC and KM and was able to follow Cathe after just a few times through. I did take some kickboxing classes for about 6mo several years ago. It probably helped me in knowing the difference between a jab, hook, upper cut, etc. IMO, I think that you could catch on if you stick with it. I'm proof of that because when it comes to step I'm not as graceful and I can now complete Imax 2 successfully! Yeah! So if you're determined you could master all videos in question.

I do like KPC combo's better, but the leg drills at the end of KM are great addition to any leg work out or to any other work out. In fact, there's a thread already going on right now comparing the two. I think it was titled "How do you like Kickmax?".

Hope that helps. Welcome aboard, too! This place is addicting! Everyone is always so helpful (esp. with us newcomers)!

Dallas

Thanks so much ladies! I'll probably end up with all three because you know how buying Cathe's workouts goes!:)

Thanks again,

Cheri

I think all of Cathe's kickboxing workouts are better for someone who has some kickboxing experience. A workout like Powerstrike Millenium 3, or Kathy Smith's Kickbox workout are much better tutorials for learning. Another older video (with some cheesy background exercisers) that is good for learning is Powerkicks with Aaron Lankford. Kaitalin Zamir makes an instructional video that is excellent (almost an hour long). She also has some workout videos, but I'd pass on those because she is definitely rythmically impaired when it comes to exercising to music. Something nice about all of these, IMO, is that at least one of the instructors in each is a black belt in some kind of martial art, so you get excellent form.

When you do start Cathe's kickboxing, I'd start with CK (unless you are looking for pure kickboxing and don't like moves that take up room, or can't tolerate so-so kickbox form once you've learned the best), then KPC. I personally don't like KM.

I am not sure about KM or CK, but I have KPC so I can comment on that. In the intro, she goes over form for all the punches and kicks. I would watch that and do it with her a few times before attempting to do the workouts.
I would also recommend Janis Saffel. There is nothing wrong with Cathe, but while Cathe is more intense and advanced, Janis is a bit more intermediate and more suitable for those getting started, and NOONE comes close to her when it comes to form. Her form is PERFECT. I think Quickfix Kick is good because it moves you into the moves slowly, and her cueing is perfect in that w/o. And, it is cheap!
Good luckk!

>Janis is a bit more intermediate and more suitable for those
>getting started, and NOONE comes close to her when it comes to
>form. Her form is PERFECT.

I agree that Janis would be a good intro as well. BUT I must disagree that NOONE comes close to her form! Off=hand I can think of several: Illarian Montagnari (Powerstrikes) and Patricia Moreno (ditto), Katalin Zamir, Aaron Lankford, Guillermo Gomez (Janis' SO), Cathe in KM!, Keli Roberts. Almost as good is Kimberly Spreen (her hook shots tend to be a bit wild, but otherwise, her form is excellent).

Thanks so much guys! This is exactly the kind of help I needed because I don't know where to start with kickboxing. I'll try some of these and move on when I feel more comfortable.

Y'all are the best,

Cheri

I am agree with Kathryn. Janis is a bit more intermediate and more suitable for those who are getting started. You can see video clips of the Janis's workouts in collage video.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator junkie. :) :)

Hi Cheri

I was in your shoes just a little over a year ago. And I to was new to kickboxing I started out with Cathes KIckbox from the CTX Series.(Just loved it) Then couple weeks later moved into her Cardio Kicks. By doing this I was able to get some Kickboxing moves down at a slower pace. Then I moved on to the hardcore series which is kickmax and just fell in love with this one. And just this week I did the Kick Punch and Crunch (and I must say this is just a tough workout all around).Hope this helps.

Denise
:)

Thanks Denise! I just realized that there was a Kickbox in the CTX series which I just acquired. I'll start there and see what I can do!

Thanks again for your encouragement,

Cheri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.