Need HELP with exercise substitutions

Boomer6454

I haven't gotten through all the STS 1RM testing yet. But of the exercises I have done, I've already found several I was unable to do because of my physical limitations. I have bilateral hip replacements, bilateral knee replacements, and a triple level lumbar spinal fusion. I have varying degrees of osteoarthritis in every joint (including spine), and psoriatic arthritis in my hands and feet. I also have severe calcified tendonitis in my left shoulder, and milder tendonitis in my right shoulder. My Orthopedic Dr. says I need surgery (possible relocation of bicep tendon insertion point), it's just a matter of when I want to have it done.

These are the exercises I had a hard time with or was unable to do:

Squats (barbell & rack): puts pressure directly on the compromised shoulders causing immediate pain, AND I can't get my left hand back far enough to grab the bar.

Dumbbell flys and presses (especially incline): Causes pain in left shoulder.

ANY shoulder presses: Again, pain in the left shoulder.

One legged sit&stands: Can't get into the proper position to do this one because of the joint replacemens and spinal fusion.

Forward lunges cause sharp pain in hips.

Low pulse lunges: put too much pressure on my spine and hips. My back began to seize up.

Incline bicep curls: Pain in left shoulder

I probably shouldn't be doing any of the exercises that hurt my left shoulder, but just haven't been able to keep away from them. I stretch (7 to 10 minutes) and ice (10 minutes) after every workout. I want very much to be able to do STS, but I want to do it effectively and SAFELY.

About me: I am 54, a former athlete and lifelong fitness fanatic. I spent almost 4 years in a wheelchair because of MS and extremely agressive Arthritis. I gained over 80 pounds during that time and became one of the feeble fat. I have spent over 2 years fighting my way back (with three surgeries during that time). I have lost 36 pounds so far, and am hoping STS (and clean eating) will take me the rest of the way. I also have Lupus syndrome, secondary Addison's, Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Mitral Valve Prolapse and other heart issues. I allowed the growing list of diseases and conditions to dictate and define my life for those miserable years. Not any more.

So, can you help me with some substitutions or other advice? I'd love to hear from you (especially Cathe!!)!

Carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.