Need alternatives because of injured spine

dawn2dawn

Hi everyone. I went to the doctor yesterday because of some lower back pain I started having and the results of the X-ray showed my tailbone is out of line and is making contact with my spine. I also have a bone spur on one of my lower vertebrae. This is causing some really sharp pain through the day. I LOOOOVVVE doing squats and deadlifts but these are two workouts that give me the most pain. Before I went to the doctor I thought it was because my lower back was weak and I kept doing them thinking it would strengthen my back muscle but it was just adding to the injury. Another workout that I can't do are reverse crunches.
Can anyone give me some alternatives to these 3 workouts? I have 40 lbs that I need to lose and the doctor said it would probably help the alignment. I just got a treadmill so I plan on doing some walking/running but I want to keep using the weights.
Thanks in advance!
Stephanie

Stephanie - I sure am sorry to hear about this. I hope it gets betters soon. Let's see.

Squats - can you do static lunges instead? Those are good overall leg exercises too.

Deadlifts - what about hamstring roll-ins with the stability ball? Those would get the hams, but of course not the lower back, which really gets a workout with deadlifts.

Reverse crunches - IMO, I think that as long as you're able to do a decent variety of ab exercises, you won't lose too much if you can't do these.

Can you do standing ab exercises? Incorporating the legs, you can work the lower abs nicely along with the uppers without putting as much strain on the back.

I had to say goodbye to squats too. It's sad, I know! Leg lifts on the floor with ankle weights can target your quads. Lay with your back on the floor, other leg bent and contract your abs while to do it to minimize lower back involvement. Pizza press with your elbows on the floor will target the glutes with less back strain than on all fours. Hamstring roll-in's are GREAT for the hammies. Whoo, those are intense. You might look into some yoga or pilates too, perhaps they could be therapeutic for you.

I think with anything targeting the legs or butt though, your lower back is going to bear something. Really try to force yourself to invest the time in healing. You can absolutely make progress focusing on the treadmill. I've had to lay off weights big time recently, but weight and tone-wise I'm doing better than ever since it forced me to really be accountable with my diet. All the best!

Hi Dawn,

Injuries are a bummer. :(

Did your doctor prescribe that you see a physical therapist? These questions REALLY, REALLY should be directed to someone like that. Particularly a PT that specializes in sports medicine.

This may not be a case on "no squats/no dealifts" but possibly a need to do some modifications and assistant exercises that help strengthen your back.

Hope this helps.

I'm so sorry to hear about your back trouble!:(
I am just coming off a 4 month battle with sciatica.
I don't know how you feel about chiropractic or if you are even able to see one because of the bone spur...but... I went even though I was very skeptical.
My x-rays were clean but showed a misalignment in my hips and my tailbone was very slightly off center. The doc focused on my hip for 3 weeks, no dramatic change, and just when I was ready to not return, he adjusted my tailbone. I walked 50 feet, turned around and said *that was the problem*. I've been pain free (knock wood) for 2 weeks and I'm back to running, yoga, pilates, kettlebell, weights, back to life basically!

I was also told by a medical doctor to lose 40 pounds because the extra weight was part of the problem (hard to do when you can barely walk!) I did try to focus on strengthing my core with gentle yoga and pilates.

Listen to your body, you know it best!
And again, I am so sorry to hear about your pain!

Good luck!

Becky

Thank you so much for the ideas! I have been doing static lunges and I try to do what I can until it hurts...this really stinks! I have always been one to work through injuries and I can't stand it when I'm not able to do that!
Thank you so very much...I really do appreciate the help :)
steph

Those are really good alternatives!! Thank you so much :) I will definitely give these a try....they have to work.....this is killing me :( I hate not being able to lift.....my favorite muscles to work out are the legs so this is a huge handicap for me. I'll get better though and come back stronger :)
Thanks again!
Stephanie

Oh my gosh! He told me I had to lose 40 lbs! Which I already knew :( I know this is because of the extra weight I"m carrying. I have a hiking trip planned in Jan-Feb at Big Ben and I'm determined to lose the weight before then. Wish me luck!
Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.