Need Advise from Cathlete's HELP!!

Shericbuck

Cathlete
OK HERE GOES......DH & I workout 5 days a week...have been doing a mix of Cathe's DVDs. Have not measured in a long time (big mistake!) Thought we had been working out pretty hard and eating clean (Not hard enough or clean enough). We are in our late 40's and in pretty good shape (so I thought).

WANT/NEED TO LOSE "2 INCHES" THROUGH THE MIDDLE, WAIST/HIP&BUTT AREA!!!!! SCARY How can this happen?...I know eating to much. Dah!!! Hand to mouth has got to slow down. "I know better."

I guess I am in shock and mad at myself.

Which rotation should we tackle? Have STS should we start back with that? We just did our 1RM yesterday (we have gained strength, loving that)

What has worked for someone else? HELP!!!!! WOULD LOVE ADVISE!!!! We need a major shock your system/fat loss jump start.

Thanks, Sherry

Hi Sherry

Your post asked for rotation ideas but was a little vague. Without more info, like what you’ve been doing and how you have been eating, my response is going to hit all the bases and focus on this -
Thought we had been working out pretty hard and eating clean (Not hard enough or clean enough). We are in our late 40's and in pretty good shape (so I thought). WANT/NEED TO LOSE "2 INCHES" THROUGH THE MIDDLE, WAIST/HIP&BUTT AREA!!!!! SCARY How can this happen?...I know eating to much. Hand to mouth has got to slow down. "I know better."STS should we start back with that? We need a major shock your system/fat loss jump start.

-Identify problems and areas for improvement. Are you eating more calories than you are burning? Are you doing the same workouts day in/day out and not varying the intensity? Do you unconsciously use exercise as an excuse to eat more? Do you use food as a reward, as consolation, an event, or as fuel for your workouts?

-Make long-term and short-term goals. Write them down. Like: lose _ inches, reduce body fat by __%, and burn off ½ pound of fat a week. Include other goals like – do all my workouts this week, go to bed early and sleep 8 hours each night, stay off sugar.

-Use tools and calculators from here to determine your starting point: Free Weight Loss Calculators and Tools
BE CONSERVATI VE and honest with the activity calculator. i.e. choose the lower activity figure rather than the higher. We are far more sedentary than we think we are.

-Cycle or stagger your calories like this (this is only an example, your numbers will be different): 1250, 1350, 1450, 1350, 1550, 1350, 1650

-Be accountable by using Cathe’s nutrition software, which is fun, or a free service like SparksPeople. It is tedious, but it will give you a reality picture of your calories-in and help you stay on track.

-Plan your meals ahead. Plan and record them before you eat them.

-Eat a protein, fat, and non-starchy carbohydrate at each meal. Have a small amount of fruit, berries or citrus, as a snack or dessert. Have a starchy carbohydrate with the meal following your workout i.e.potato, yam, squash. Add an additional starchy carbohydrate to your higher calorie day.

– Weigh or measure everything you eat, especially fat, starchy carbohydrates and your protein source. A kitchen scale is a good investment. I have a Salter scale.

– Yes, by all means do STS, it is a great program and one I love. Be advised though that building muscle can make you feel ravenous, and just like a baby your muscles need good food to grow strong. Make each calorie count.

-Add 40-60 minutes of steady state cardio to your alternate days. Gradually add 20-40 minutes of cardio to your lifting days, preferably in the afternoon/evening or several hours after your lifting workout. (But you may be like me, and need the cardio for an energy/endorphin bump to get your day started.)

-Once you are ready for more intensity and need to shake things up, replace one or two of your steady state workouts with an interval or Hiit workout.

-Take one active rest day a week. Active rest means – work in the garden, clean the garage, do yoga, take a leisurely bike ride, go for a hike, play outside. Do not lay on the couch watching t.v. (unless you are ill) or spend all day sitting at the computer. Get up, get out, and keep moving.

– Consider eliminating trigger foods and reactive foods. Just like we can develop over-use injuries from repetitive activity, some foods, by this time in our life, can cause us to retain fluids in our bodies adding inches over night and adding unappreciated numbers to the figure on the scale. Some possible reactive foods: wheat, corn, sugar, cow dairy. Keep careful notes, look at this as a fun and unique personal science experiment. Further refinement to (temporarily or permanently) eliminating certain foods may be needed, such as grains, oats, coffee, dried fruit, salt, coconut.

-Make water your primary beverage.

- We often adhere to a diet for five days and then are lax on the weekend. One cheat meal can blowout all your hard work during the week. If you need or want a cheat – plan it for a higher calorie day and make it a cheat item....a small item. Calories add up. Be sure to add your cheat to your nutrition record. A good cheat that won’t trigger a cascading trend, is fresh strawberries dipped in melted bittersweet chocolate, or slices of banana dipped in almond butter/bittersweet chocolate, then frozen, or dried figs with a wee wedge of chocolate placed in the center and microwaved for a couple of seconds.

-Get feedback. Weigh yourself daily. Not to obsess about the number shifting one direction or the other, but so you can see if that bowl of popcorn made you balloon up. Take skin caliper readings and/or use your measuring tape weekly, take photos and keep notes.

-Read something inspiring everyday...about life, nutrition, or fitness.

-Reward yourself for each weekly goal achieved. Make your rewards worthwhile but not food based. For example, I reward myself with workout clothes, workout dvds, new fitness equipment, or a fun outing.

-Sixty days into your 90 day rotation begin planning your next rotation. It could be the standard STS rotation again, an undulating STS rotation, a staggered rotation of one week of full body workouts and circuits, one week of endurance splits, and one week of strength splits. Or you could do a series of Cathe’s rotations, or another program like p90x or p90x2. The key is to plan ahead, vary intensity, and keep it fun /interesting, and - keep changing it.

– Once you have reached your goal weight or goal body composition, slowly and gradually – increase your calories to maintenance level. **Careful Careful...Caution Caution** if you jump to maintenance too quickly your body will want to store all the extra calories. How to do this? Add one piece of fruit or one additional starchy carbohydrate. Again, keep careful records and do this systematically, otherwise all of your hard work will be reversed faster than you can say Haagen Daz.

-Maintenance is the bugaboo for everyone who has made this journey. What works for me is to continue staggering my calories –at maintenance, higher and lower, and to match them to my output days. For example, on days I do a long run I eat a higher calorie meal, on days I lift weights I eat at or slightly below maintenance, and on rest days I eat at a deficit.

Finally – consider buying the ebook, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Tom Venuto puts it all together for you... Burn the Fat Inner Circle Store

p.s. If you find yourself in the pantry looking for fuel – any fuel – including all the food you don’t want to eat... eat a serving of fruit and 10 or so raw almonds, and add slightly more fat and protein to your next meal or two.

p.s.s. Here is a good article about peri-menopause and weight gain: Perimenopause and menopause weight gain

:D

Thank you Janis, Yes I was vague, sorry.

You have provided me with a lot of helpful information. I am going to purchase ..Burn the fat feed the Muscle. Thanks.

This is why I am frustrated:

We don't eat pre packaged foods. This is what we eat... Fruit, veggies, chicken, beans (dry beans), fish, yoguart, eggs, steel oats and whole wheat. I love the Tosco Reno books, I think I'm going to do Cooler Plan 1 for a jump start.

Workouts....this is what we do. Drill Max, Cardio Core, Hiit, STS TB, Muscle Max, Butt & Gut, Lower Body Blast, Circuit Blast, KPC, Bootcamp, Intensity (hitt & bootcamp) LIP Series, cycle max & global rides (60 mins rides). We mix it up..Love variety. I feel like I give it a 110%. Also have Gym Style & Slow and Heavy.

I feel like I am working hard and eating right. The last time I measured was in July. My increase has happen since then. July - Feb 26.

I agree with everything you said...I guess I am going to have to write down what I eat and really keep track of my food intake. I am "AFRAID" that Perimopause/menopause is starting to kick in. I am 48, 5'8" currently 145 pds. My idea weight needs to be around 135-138 for my frame.

With all my working out and my middle weight gain...I am going to have a tough road to travel. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

We just got through January's (1 month) rotation. No weight change.

Keeping track of my eating is going to one of the major keys to this battle of losing.

Thank you for your reply. I have printed it out and will have it on my desk as a daily reminder.

Thank you, Sherry

This is just an observation, not really based on personal experience, I'm currently trying to figure out how to lose weight for me too, it has always been a struggle for me, but I noticed your diet appears to be VERY low in fat other than the eggs, that article mentioned that low fat diets can contribute to issues with weight gain during menopause.

Thank you Janis,
I feel like I am working hard and eating right. The last time I measured was in July.

My increase has happen since then. July - Feb 26.

I agree with everything you said...I guess I am going to have to write down what I eat and really keep track of my food intake. I am "AFRAID" that Perimopause/menopause is starting to kick in. I am 48, 5'8" currently 145 pds. My idea weight needs to be around 135-138 for my frame.

With all my working out and my middle weight gain...I am going to have a tough road to travel. I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

Thank you, Sherry

Sherry,

You are welcome. I am glad you found it useful.

It doesn't sound like you are very far from your goal; you'll get there.

Don't beat yourself up. We're all trying to find the right formula, and the tricky (or fun part, depending on how you look at it) is finding what works for you. We are all uniquely different.

I'd really look at the food intolerance/sensitivities as a place to start.

:D

Sherry and your DH,

Eating is very much key too, besides working out. Try the Paleo Diet. It's even better than what people say about it. It is amazing! With that and starting STS again you will be on the right road. I can assure you, you will lose your inches very quickly.

Paleodiet Foods

In the 2nd paragraph, don't believe what they say about beans. Peanut butter and all beans, soy, string, green... are not in the Paleo Diet, but everything else is accurate. The best thing is, you don't have to waste your time writing down your calories because you don't have to keep track. Your body will respond to losing the unwanted fat and with exercise will even be better than ever before.
You can start right away with this information I've linked you to.

I'm on it, and it has totally changed my life for the better. My body is responding remarkably well. I have smoother, clearer skin and my complexion is awesome. I was diagnosed with GERD (an indigestion problem), and now I'm off the nasty pills all together. I think more clearly and I'm happy. For me I don't have a choice but to stay on this diet or I will suffer the consequences of GERD yet again. I'm not willing to do that and reaping now the benefits of such a great diet. By the way, I'm 60 years old. Started the Paleo Diet on Jan. 17, and can already feel the difference in my muscles.

It's not a miracle diet, you do have to work at it, with food and exercise. But it's the next best thing to a miracle.

Good Luck,

Janie

Last edited:
Janie, Thank you...I have saved the Paleodiet site in my favorites. Will review it tonight. Glad to hear you have had great results and I'm equally glad it as helped you get off Meds for your GERD!

I agree with Janis (trying to find the right formula is tricky). I am out here everyday looking at what fellow Cathletes are talking about and recall the threads about the Paleodiet. My DH thinks I do not eat enough and as Dela suggest my diet is low in fat. I am at a new challenge in my life.. tackling the "mid-age spread" (ps...I have a winning attitude...I'm planning on winning) HA!! Just going to have to work harder and change my eating habits.

Janis provided me with alot of food for thought and great suggestions and I appreciate you letting me know about the Paleodiet. Sounds like a good starting point/change.

Since DH and I discovered Cathe I have increased in muscle strength and cardio endurance. (LOVE HER WORKOUTS) We are starting STS tomorrow, Meso 2, I going to kick some butt!!!!! I have a new 1rm. looking forward to the challenge.

I would love to see some muscle definition I feel like I have skinnny little arms but I know there is some muscle in there somewhere..that is a story for another day.

By the way how is your strength training going? I would love to hear about your results. GO GIRL!!! The rotation Cathe provided looks GREAT! What Cardio are you doing? if any during the STS phase. I printed out the rotation and have it in my Cathe folder.

Please let me know about your progress.

Thanks, Sherry

Sherry, You are right, there is something out there for everyone. I'm sure you will figure it all out. Your winning attitude will get you far and grounded. Janis is awesome giving you all her tips.

Strength Training Results: I'm reaching for my 15# pair of dumbells for back, biceps...all the time now depending what exercise I'm doing, sometimes I still have to pull out the 12's. Every now and then I do reach for the 20's. Yea! I'm up on my 1RM's as well. I love getting fit and healthy! Love doing the Hiit cardio's. Still have to modify, but it's getting better every time I do them. When I want to have a longer cardio, I do Rhythmic Step, The Wedding Video, most of the Step Aerobic workouts including The Shock Cardio Series. When I don't want to think about it, I do intervals on the treadmill for 30-45 min. I feel the more variety the better. Oh and just speed walking/jogging anywhere with intervals.

By all means since you are already starting STS, do the 8-9 month rotation that Cathe provided for me. It's a keeper!

Congratulations on earning increased muscle strength and cardio endurance from Cathe's DVD's! That is awesome!

Take care,

Janie

Last edited:
Janie, I just took a look at the site your porvided. I am close to doing something similar now. I need to make some modifications to my current eating habits but I think I can do this.

Wow, sounds like you are doing great with your workouts! Keep up the good work and have fun (I know you are).

I also found a site Paleoplan.com

Thanks again for your info. I enjoy this forum.
Sherry

Sherry and your DH,

Paleodiet Foods

In the 2nd paragraph, don't believe what they say about beans. Peanut butter and all beans, soy, string, green... are not in the Paleo Diet, but everything else is accurate.

Hi Janie,

I have been living under a rock and just recently found out about this Paleo Diet :eek: Not sure how that's possible!!! I am not on it, but I listen to the various podcasts out there. Maybe some day I will do it, but no plans right now. I am not ready to give up grains.

I am wondering why you state there is no exception to the beans. What is wrong with them? Soy gets a lot of bad press, so no need to expand on that one, but legumes, peanuts, green beans? I don't get it. Just curious... :)

Susan

Hi Janie,

I have been living under a rock and just recently found out about this Paleo Diet :eek: Not sure how that's possible!!! I am not on it, but I listen to the various podcasts out there. Maybe some day I will do it, but no plans right now. I am not ready to give up grains.

I am wondering why you state there is no exception to the beans. What is wrong with them? Soy gets a lot of bad press, so no need to expand on that one, but legumes, peanuts, green beans? I don't get it. Just curious... :)

Susan

Susan, I'll type what is in The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D.

"Why are many carbohydrates bad? Many whole grain and legumes don't have a lot of vitamins and minerals. They're poor dietary sources of these important nutrients. So a diet that's tilted too heavily towards grains and legumes-at the expense of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables-can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. This is why so many of our breads and cereals are fortified with extra nutrients. Food shouldn't need to be supplemented with vitamins, and if you're getting the right balance of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables, neither should you.

Worse, cereal grains and legumes even contain "antinutrients"-chemicals that actually prevent your body from absorbing the proper nutrients and can damage the gastrointestinal and immune systems. Too many grains and legumes can disrupt the acid balance in the kidneys as well, and can contribute to the loss of muscle mass and bone mineral content with aging."

LOREN CORDAIN, Ph.D., is one of the top global researchers in the area of evolutionary medicine. Generally acknowledged as the world's leading expert on the Paleolithic diet, he is a professor in the Health and Exercise Science Department at Colorado State University. He lectures regularly around the world.

Hope this helps.

Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.