Need Advice

thinsgreat

Cathlete
Okay-- I am returning to exercise after being off for 3 years-- I suffered mainly from chronic fatigue and stomach issues. I was int-adv. in terms of lifting as well as pilates and yoga. 6 days a week-- mostly on the obsessive side avg 1.5-2 hours/daily. I was 50 at that time and extremely fit.

It has been 6 weeks since I have been able to exercise again--I began with small walks -- then added in some weight work with light weight....I now can walk daily for an hour and am doing 45-50 min with weights ( 3 days/week)-- I am using mostly 10 pounds weights. My muscle memory is great!

I did gain a lot of weight in my 3 years away-- I need to get that off-- so I thought i would need a lot of cardio??-- However, I'm finding that walking and weights is too much on the same day and I'm feeling mildly fatigued the remainder of the day.

My question is-- should i break up the weight and cardio days? I also found thatif I do total body I'm better than splits-- seems like too much exertion when I overwork a particular area.

My fear is that my joy to be able to move again , if not moderated, can end up being problematic.

Any thougts on best way to schedule ?
Thanks

Body weight seems to be a function of the diet rather than your workouts. Do what movement you want to do and then work on your diet. Cardio does seem to help with the weight more than lifting. Why are you doing weights 3x/week? That seems like more than is necessary.

I would forget the splits until you are much stronger. Try a full body workout twice a week, like 3 days apart. Fill the other days in with easy to moderate cardio, but keep upping the intensity after each week, just enough so your body doesn't adapt. Change the cardio also, don't just do step or walk. If you can afford it, look at rebounders (especially a Jumpsport), they are loads of fun and have other health benefits along with being a low impact way to get some cardio in. You said you were really fit 3 years ago, your body will gravitate back to that faster then you think if you keep pushing towards it, feed it right and get the rest you need. Right now though, I would do full body only until you start to feel that overall strength returning. Splits are too intensive and if you aren't applying the correct weight, don't waste your time. Doing full body with lighter weights can be considered aerobic in nature also. I tend to lose weight with them if that's all I do.

Good luck!

Thank you. I eat very clean and rest a lot. As a teacher it is easy to do that.
However, school begins in August and I am leary of too much exercise while working a full day. I agree-- I need to separate the weights and cardio workouts.
My concern was always hearing that in order to really kickstart the metabolism and burn fat you need to do cardio everyday. I also know that that happens with lifting. So, I'm thinking... 4 days cardio- 2 days full body weights and one day off?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.