Need advice on tablet/phone/electronic for teen...

jcm

Cathlete
Help! My DD is going to be 14 Friday. She has a Nintendo DS and that's it. Apparently it's time to get with it and purchase something for her but I don't know what. She wants to be able to play music, take pics and video, get on the internet, maybe text (although she only has two friends she would text). I have no idea what to get her. She had been saying iPod but I know once you go the Apple route you have to stay there (I have an iPod shuffle and I can't transfer songs from there to other things). Kindle? iPad? My new smart phone (only had one since November) is a Samsung. Just looking for any suggestions from people. I am not into this stuff at all. And when I try to look up stuff on line we always end up with ads for what you searched for so she'll see that.

What ever happened to a diary with a lock and a nice pen??

Jen

My DD is 13 and has a Samsung Galaxy 3 phone (handed down when DH upgraded to the 4) and a laptop. She got the laptop first, and does use it when she's doing homework, as some of her heavy textbooks are available online so she doesn't have to lug them home. The phone is great for photos, texting, etc. and is obviously more portable than the laptop. We love our galaxy phones (I just got the 5 last week!) and think they're better and more intuitive than the apples. If you get her a phone, I highly recommend getting a good case immediately, as they tend to get dropped in crowded hallways at school. HTH!

You can get prepaid cell phone. DD has Samsung Galaxy Express from AT&T. We only pay about $10/month for her texting (1000 texts) from AT&T.

Well, if you are not looking for a phone, I would say get her an ipad mini or ipod. My kids have an iphone, ipad mini, ipod and kindle. We have acquired these over the years. If she is mostly going to do music and texting, I would say the ipod. If she will also use it for school research etc, get the ipad mini because the screen is bigger. My daughter has a kindle. She will use skype on this. The reason the ipod is nice is the messenging feature for texting. I never thought we would be apple people. But, I have to say, the devices are nice. I use my ipad daily rather than getting on the desktop. Sorry this is rambling. I am just typing as I think. You can load songs onto your computer and then sync to your device. So, you do not have to buy songs from itunes. Buying from itunes is nice because if your device would crash, everything is in the cloud. Now, recently my son bought a microsoft surface because he wanted it for schoolwork and typing papers. However, he returned it because he could not het the hang of typing on it.

Think she'd be excited if I bought her a typewriter?? Haha

Jen, this is hilarious. My parents actually did buy me a typewriter for my 15th birthday in 1976, and I was absolutely thrilled! (An IBM Selectric.) Best present ever. I used it to type up my assignments for school and became a great touch typist. That typewriter is still in my parents' house somewhere.

But, hmmmm. I think if you bought your DD a typewriter for her birthday, she might throw it at you. :)

Stebby

I am just so sick of all this "technology"!! The minute you get something it's already outdated. It has become impossible to keep up. But yes, she probably wouldn't be amused with a typewriter. Although I might find an old one to give to her as a joke before her real present. She does have an awesome sense of humor.

And thanks for the input guys. We (i.e. DH) decided on a Samsung Galaxy tablet. Which will be old school by next week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.