need advice about medications

lwseymour

Cathlete
Hi ladies,
I am taking Xanax for panic and anxiety (only take one .5 mg per day) but still my doctor wants me to switch to Lexapro because Xanax has a bad reputation for addiction etc. (Too bad since I absolutely love the Xanax). Anyway I would love to hear anyones stories if you take Xanax now or in the past. Were you able to come off of it without much difficulty or are we talking major rehab here?

Also would love to hear anyone's experience with Lexapro? If I do experience the side affects of vomiting etc. how long will the side affects lasts? I can handle 2 or 3 days of feeling bad to eventually get better but just how long do the bad side affects last? Will I be able to still go to work with the side affects the first few days? Anybody taken Lexapro without side affects? I'm not worried about weight gain at this point. I just want to hear what you think of Xanax vs Lexapro. I miss working out so badly, still can't work out much with my extremely tender bladder problem, I can still walk and am walking 3 miles per day, still I miss Cathe type workouts.

Lisa

Hi Lisa. I do take Xanax only when I first starting going on medication like paxil, the reason is you are right it is addicting. My doctor only says to take it until the paxil kicks in which is about 10 days. Once the paxil kicks in you don't have the urge for the xanax. Another reason is for taking paxil or any other medication for panic is it is long term meaning it is in your blood stream and it takes about a week to come out of your stream when you are weaning off where xanax is fast acting meaning it works right away but comes out of your blood stream in a few hours that's why it is so addicting. I think once your other medication kicks in you will not need the xanax because your medication should take care of you aniexty. Just to let you know I have really bad panic attacks and the paxil has really help me. HTH

The receptors for serotonin (neurotransmitter) line the gut, so if you have a sensitive gut, you could experience nausea and vomitting in the early days. Lexapro made me sick as a dog for 24 hours within 6 hours of taking a half tablet. That was my experience with it over. Expect to feel possibly light headed, spacey, dizzy as your body gets used to the medication. But most side effects wear off within 4-6 weeks. I think you can tell within 3 days of taking a medication whether or not you are going to be able to stick with it. I always know within 24 hours. My body responds immediately. If the side effects are overwhelming, that medication is not for you. The good news is that there are plenty to choose from to try and find the one that works for you. I have tried Paxil (godawful), Zoloft (completely spacey man), Lexapro (24 hour up-chuck) and Effexor (the scientist who came up with it should be shot) and finally found Celexa (from which Lexapro is made) that works for me.

The thing to know and research about SSRI's is in fact the difficulty many people have coming off the drugs. SSRI's can create their own kind of addiction making some people even sicker as they try to come of the medication because their bodies crave the medication and appear unable to ffuncction without it. Paxil and Effexor are the chief trouble makers in this regard, but I have read reports that Celexa has done this to people also. You must be aware of this before you start taking the medication. A slow tapering off, when the time is right, is recommended.

See the article in this month's "Self" magazine for starters.

I read an excellent book that argued against the claim that Xanax type drugs cause addiction. Wish I could remember the title. Addiction is only caused if you find yourself continually increasing the dosage to create the same calming effect you previously got with a lower dose. But this does not necessarily happen. The good thing about Xanax and its class of drugs (benzodia? whats?) is that you don't need to take them every day, you can choose to only take them when you feel a panic attack coming on, and certainly when I used them, that is how I used them. No addiction there. But doctors feel uncomfortable prescribing more than 20 of them at aany time, which i feel is wrong. They helped me, just as Xanax helps you and there were no shitty side effects to deal with.

I would go back to my doctor, having done more research on this class of drugs and the SSRI's and then discuss again your options. When you demonstrate your knowledge and depending upon the severity or levity of your attacks, he or she may be inclined to let you have more Xanax to take when necessary, to be determined by your own judgement. I would certainly make this argument, were I to do the whole medications thing again, because SSRI's can having lasting side effects that you can never be free from, i.e. most of them kill your libido.

I wish you good luck and good health,

Clare

I want to tell you about techniques to deal with panic attacks
(I have suffered them badly, just like Barbara) but I will have to do so later because I must put my kids to bed, so I'll write again tomorrow,

Clare :)

Hi Lisa,

I've been taking Wellbutrin & Lexapro for a long time and haven't experienced any negative side effects. I take these for depression and anxiety, and they have brought me from non-functioning to functioning. I still have good and bad days, and on the especially bad ones, I take .5mg Xanax, or 1mg if I need to sleep. I've never taken it more than 2 days in a row, so I can't offer any insight on its addictiveness. I haven't experienced weight gain, nausea, or vomiting with Lexapro. Since it is a newer med, it is supposed to have less side effects.

Xanax is a temporary fix whose calming effects you feel almost immediately, while Lexapro's effects last longer and take longer to feel. For overall decreased anxiety, Lexapro is a better option because it will be working on the brain chemicals 24/7. Like Barbara said, slowly decreasing the Xanax while beginning the Lexapro is a good option if your doctor okay's it.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

Gina

Clare,

Just wanted to mention that I also read the article in Self and was surprised about the addictive qualities of Paxil and Effexor. Your posts are always so detailed and well-written. :)

Gina

Gina:

Thanks. This was one of many, increasingly widespread articles on the addictive qualities of SSRI's. I am glad the problem is getting more air space. There are online SSRI's support groups full of people totally freaked out by this problem of they have become victims. It needs to reach the stage where precribing doctors include this information for would-be patients, so that we can make fully-informed choices.

Clare

I have never taken Lexapro and honestly don't know a thing about it. If it is similar to Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, or Wellbutrin (and yes, I know they aren't all the same - some w/dopamine and some just SSRI), please be careful. If it's compeletely different, save yourself a few minutes and stop here :)

A couple months ago, I would have told you I've been taking anti-anxiety/anti-depressants for a few years with no side effects other than decreased libido (not to say that's nothing, but it was the only problem I was aware of).

As of a little over a month ago, I'm teetering on the brink of divorce from a man I love very much and would never have intentionally hurt, and I blame the medications about 90%. When my husband finally told me how he'd been feeling (I'll get to that), I was so upset that I forgot to take my Effexor for several days. Wow! Despite all the horrible things we were going through, I realized it was the first time I'd felt alive in years. I had more energy, more enthusiasm, more interest in both sex AND affection (great timing, huh?), and fewer migraines (which is what they were prescribed to prevent/reduce in the first place). I'd thought about going off them before, but I was SO afraid I'd turn into a crabby, miserable b--ch (I had stopped for a day or two a couple times in the past, but as soon as I felt the tiniest bit edgy, ran right back to the bottle). Nothing of the sort happened, at least after about a week (if I'd been a little crabby at first, I probably passed it off as REAL problems and just got through it). I know it's not ideal to go off all at once, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone when you can go off gradually, and I wouldn't have done it intentionally; but I'm sure glad I did it one way or another.

Now here's the problem. What my husband told me is that he felt like he'd been carrying the load since we'd been married - like I wasn't interested in participating in any kind of partnership. He is very affectionate, very gentlemanly (still opens car doors after eight years), and on top of all that, he was the only one working (we relocated several months ago for his job and I literally never bothered getting one - no excuse, just didn't bother). Basically, I have been a zombie since about a year into anti-depressants. They were ok at first, but when they didn't help my migraines, doctors (and I've seen at least four different ones - a primary and neurologist in both our old and new cities) kept increasing the dosage. I thought it was great that nobody pushed me to see a psychologist, and I really didn't want to be bothered with it. In retrospect, some sort of therapist would have probably recognized that I, in the simplest terms, wasn't living my life - at all. I had no desire to do anything, and once we'd moved, didn't even leave the house sometimes for a couple days at a time. Obviously depression probably snuck in there too, but the symptoms were pretty much there before the move, and I definitely wasn't depressed then - just indifferent. I was indifferent to the obvious signs of depression, absence of motivation, to drifting farther and farther away from my husband (and the effect I knew deep down inside it was having on him), and to the fact that I both needed and (again, deep down) wanted to work. Well, we're trying to work it out because he wants to love and nurture the newly "awake" me, and he understands intellectually that I wasn't doing it maliciously and there were extenuating circumstances -- but he's worried about whether he can get past years of feeling rejected and unappreciated (ok, the fact that he should have done something drastic much sooner is a communication issue that we also have to work on, but that's too far off topic for this particular thread).

I guess all I'm trying to say is please be very aware of any changes you experience, even if it doesn't feel like a big deal -- at that point, you're not necessarily the best judge. I am a reasonably intelligent person and would have described myself as self-aware, so if you think you are immune to such idiocy (I would have thought I would be), I hope you're right, but ...

Just for the sake of disclosure, I was on Prozac first, complained about the complete absence of libido so Wellbutrin was added to Prozac, no change so Wellbutrin was increased to replace Prozac, no change anyway, so new neurologist switched to Effexor because it had a better record with migraines (I'd freakin' like to know with who, but again, not the point here).

Anyway, please just be careful. I no longer think doctors should be prescribing mood-altering medications without psychological follow-up. Doctors these days just don't spend enough time with patients to make the kind of observations these medications require. I DO think they're fine in reasonable doses for short periods of time, like to get you through a difficult period. But what does it mean that I took anti-depressants for all that time only felt anti-depressed when I stopped? Sure, I was less likely to snap at people, but at what price? And frankly, my quick temper (although not what Rx was for, it was the only nice effect) hasn't come back, perhaps just because I broke the ugly habit, and probably would have found the same thing after six months of low-dose Prozac.

Sorry to be so long-winded about this, and it's probably not really even what you're looking for here, but I can't just NOT warn people now when I hear they could be heading down a similar path, even if the extreme results don't happen to everyone.

Hi Clare,

I wonder if you'd mind e-mailing me with information about where I can go to "listen in" on one or two of these online SSRI support groups. I'd like to hear what others have to say so I could know how much of what I'm experiencing is "just me" and how much is the medication I'm taking (Effexor).

Thanks,
Shari

Trying to get of Lexapro or Paxil is really the pits. I'm currently in my 3rd week of being Paxil-free after a two month long weening process. The headaches were unbearable. The vertigo and the nausea even more unbearable.

A point to consider is that with an SSRI like Lexapro and I did have this with paxil: The changes in your metabolism that make you gain weight no matter what you do!! Ugh!! And the zombie feeling of floating through your days not really living your life.

But you need to check it out for yourself. Search out tapering lexapro, or weeing lexapro on the net. I found several sites for going off of paxil. There's www.quitpaxil.info and http://www.paxilprogress.org/ that virtually saved my sanity. I found this one on Lexapro for you: http://www.prozactruth.com/lexapro.htm

Seriously ask your doc about withdrawl from Lexapro. If he says there are no withdrawl symptoms, then he simply does not know enough about the drug and you should refuse it.

My mother and sister use Xanax and do very well with it. My mom takes a half a tablet per day. If you use it as prescribed there's no reason it should be troublesome but I did find information on the web suggesting that Xanax and that class of drug is not the best choice for potential abusers and alternatives might work better.

I was on Lexapro and my doctor added Wellburtin but I found it very difficult to take three tablets per day and when my Lexapro RX expired, I failed to get in to see my doctor to refill it. I found I was just fine without it since I was missing doeses here and there anyway.

Any drug that you go off can potentially cause trouble if you do so abruptly. Work closely with your doctor because the withdrawl symptoms from SSRI's include anxiety and depression. When you are ready, do make sure your diet is clean and your have your exercise program in full swing. That's the best medicine I have ever found for getting off a RX.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

How long did the vertigo and nausea last? Was it constant or did it come in waves during the day and then subside? Or was it constant nausea for 3 or 4 or more weeks? Just curious how difficult this weaning process is and if I would be able to keep my desk job through the weaning process. I need some help but I don't want to lose my job in the process due to staying out sick. Anybody have input? Thanks, Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.