Need a rotation suggestion

Janick

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-02 AT 09:39AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi!

This is a question for Cathe or any one of you knowledgeable folks out there.

Over the summer, I slacked on my exercise program and eating habits and have gained a few pounds. Nothing excessive, just enough to make me uncomfortable, but am still in a normal weight range for my height (with a BMI of around 22.5).

I've taken charge of portion control, and am attempting to eat as clean as possibly can. I'm in my 3rd week of a modified version (not having all the required tapes, I have to improvise a bit) of the tank top rotation and have seen my lower body bulk more than my upper body.

Here's what I've been doing
Day 1: CTX Upper body
Day 2: CTX Leaner legs
Day 3: Cardio 30 minutes (step or kickboxing) plus CTX shoulders, triceps and biceps
Day 4: Cardio 60 minutes (step)
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: A firm total body tape (for example body sculpt or MBS)
Day 7: 90 minute spinning class

I think the spinning class may be the culprit to my lower body bulking because as much as it is an interval workout, there is also a lot of resistance training. I don't want to abandon it, because I love it, the participants and the teacher are great!

I want a rotation that will help me integrate my spinning class (day 7) and a kickboxing class (day 3), shed those few pounds and lean out my lower body (for a more balanced look). My tapes include the CTX series on DVD, a few Firms and other miscelaneous exercise videos (such as Mindy, Christi...). I have also ordered PH (DVD) and classics vol 1 (DVD) and am willing to order S and H or PS series on DVD.

Thanx in advance!

RE: Hi Janick

First of all, I don't think you should quit spinning because it is something you really like and any exercise you really like is one you will keep on doing. And that, as we know, is a big problem for a lot of people - being bored or not liking the exercise they chose to torture themselves with because it is in style or whatever.

As for tapes, I would get Powerhour and I would suggest the PS series. I pretty much credit that series for helping me build what muscle I have although I did start out with MIS when I first starting lifting at home.

I actually think your current rotation looks pretty good so maybe you just need to give it a bit more time. If you are more worried about bulking in the legs, tapes like Power Hour and Leaner Legs tend to be more endurance type workouts but I think Pure Strength series has a place in a rotation too.

BTW, I think your legs looked great when I saw them and remember, if you have more muscle - you have less fat and so quit worrying about bulking. This is just my opinion, albeit from someone who never cares if people think I am too muscular.

Take care.

Kim

Hi Janick,

I'm fairly new to Cathe and while I don't have enough of her tapes (just the CTX series and I've pre-ordered the Intesity series) I can't rec. a rotation. However, I've been teaching Kickboxing for the last 6 years and aerobics for 4 prior to that and your question comes up quite often w/ students. (Also, been a devoted Firmie for 12 years.)

IMO, when you are trying to loose a few pounds, your rotation should lean more toward cardio than weight training. While it is true that muscle continues to burn cals after the workout, a good cardio session incinerates more cals. I would make a change in your Day 3 and 6.

Day 1: CTX Upper Body
Day 2: CTX Leaner Legs
Day 3: Firm or another Cardio 45-60 minutes
Day 4: Cardio Step (60 minutes)
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: Cardio 30 minutes w/ CTX UB work
Day 7: Spinning

This will give you 4 hours of Cardio for the week, it is the miniumum I usually rec for weight loss. But, in your case, you only have a few pounds and the Cathe tapes are more intense and you get more bang for your buck. When you loose the weight, I'd go back to your origional rotation, becasue the extra muscle mass will help you maintain.

Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of water. That is usually the culprit in my case when I feel bulky. If I'm not drinking enough and doing heavy weights my muscle absorbs the water in my system like a sponge. I drink between 100 and 120 ounces a day, but I workout 10-12 hours a week. To my students, I rec dividing their body weight by 2 and adding another 12oz.

Hope this was helpful, I wish you success!

Kerilyn

Hi janick!

I'm with Kim (hi Kim!!), I wouldn't worry about bulking. I resliase some people really do feel they 'bulk', but what I've noticed is that it seems to go in cycles. When I do heavy weights, I do feel 'bulky' but it settles down. I'm sure alot of it is water in the muscles, and I think someone on this forum wrote once about how it takes a long time (ie, months and years) to really develop lean muscles, the fat inside the muscle has to work its way out, etc, so bulking is usually temporary.

Again, agreeing with Kim on the PS series. I just did a twelve week rotation of PS, ending with 3 weeks of slow and heavy. I am now totally exhausted (!) and taking a rest week, but I found it not only gave me a lot of strength but also I see lots more definition, and there's nothing like extra muscle to burn fat.

I also read some posts on this forum about bodyRX, bought the book, and am trying that as not really a diet but just as a guideline for clean eating and I'm loving it so far.

(see you in Nov, I can loan you the Body RX book if you want!)

Christine

Thanx Kerilyn, Kim and Christine.

I think my problem is not 'muscle' bulk, but fat bulk. I'm probably not doing enough cardio as Kerilyn made me realize. Usually, I'm a cardio freak!! I think Kerilyn made a great point of me adding some cardio to my routine, and I'll be following her suggestion diligently.

Have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.