need a change

fargomom

Cathlete
So I joined a gym. I know, I know. :eek: I still LOVE Cathe and have her workouts in my rotation, but I just needed a little pick-me-up. This summer I began running twice weekly outside and fell in love with it, but with colder weather on the way here in North Dakota I knew there was no way I could keep that up unless I joined a gym. So that was one reason I did it. And the other, like I said, was to change things up a bit.

Anyone else experience this?

I just feel like I need a change right now and I'm excited about being a part of a gym again. Luckily it's only $20 a months so I don't feel too guilty about the cost. So hopefully this new mix of gym treadmill workouts and Cathe workouts at home will help get me out of my workout slump.

And what's funny is when they were giving me the tour at the gym the trainer asked me if I was interested in weights so she could show me how to use the machines. I told her I do weight lifting at home, which of course, afforded me an odd look. No way am I using the machines at the gym when I have my Cathe!! haha. To me there is no comparison. :D

yes I know exactly what you mean I also am a big cathe fan and have almost all of her dvd's and have been doing the rotations since 2005 and a few months ago I felt like just so tired of everything. (This was about last week of September). The workouts the eating clean I mean I felt like I lost it like burned out. So I took about a week and a half off and ate and gained some weight. Then it hit me WTH is wrong with me? I ordered P90x and plan to start that in January 2009 just to do something new and different. So I got back into 2nd week of october and have been alternating cathe and gym workouts and I feel great. So bottom line when I feel like this usually a week off will do the trick for me. and a little food too.

Change is good. I started going to a fitness boot camp 2 years ago. I no longer go but I got introduced to kettlebells and Crossfit there. Many of my workouts in the summer were either running or doing Crossfit inspired workouts. I still do Cathe for weights but it's fun to challenge yourself in different ways. All the workouts that I got off the Crossfit website or ones that I created myself went into a binder so I never get bored with my workouts.

I totally understand what you're feeling. Change can be a good thing. I have to miss things up sometimes to keep me motivated.

Why be embarassed about joining a gym? Working out at home is great, but you'll find so many new & fun options, & also some machines that might help you increase strength more effectively & faster than at home. And it's a great social opportunity to meet people who are as obsessed w/exercise as you are.

I've had a gym membership for almost 20 years, & as much as I love my basement gym, I'll never give up the health club!

ITA w/ Laura-

I joined a gym about 5 years ago and love the options it gives me. I love Cathe workouts, and still buy them. But for me personally, I was able to bust through some strength plateaus by having access to the equipment, machines, and weights that allow to lift heavier than you could at home. ( Plus... you have spotters!)

Now that my son is in school all day now, I am there just about every day.. Many days, I'll do cardio at home w/ Cathe in the AM and then head up to strength train at the gym. I work at home for my job when I'm not travelling, so for me its the high point of the day to get out of the house and see people. I've made some great friends w/ people who are just like me on their view of fitness and health... total bonus!

Congratulations.. can we officially call you a fellow "gym rat" yet? :)

Lynn M.

I don't know if I can be given the "gym rat" title yet. :confused: :D Perhaps after a few months. haha. I am looking forward to the socialization, although thus far all I've seen is college-age boys there ... :eek:

I also didn't mean to speak negative about free weights or machines at the gym. When I was a member of a gym originally, about 5 years ago, I didn't get very good results with the machines or my sporatic use of the free weights. It wasn't until I began doing Cathe's weight workouts that I noticed definition and felt I was accomplishing something. Having said that, I can see a day where I might get burned out on Cathe and take my weight training to the gym.

A question though ... for those that do weight training at the gym, did you enlist the help of a personal trainer to get you on a good program? Or did you read a book? I'm just curious how one goes about getting a quality w/o with weights at a gym, especially when, in my case, I didn't get very good results in the past?

Thanks again. :D

Kara - I joined a gym a few months back for a change as well. Primarily I like the class option for things like spinning that I cannot do at home. And -- it gets me working out in a different environment. Don't get me wrong, I still love and use my Cathe's regularly, but I am loving my gym membership. I did enlist the services of a trainer, and she is WONDERFUL!!!!! I've been perfectly upfront with her about Cathe and how much I enjoy what I do at home. I've been working with this trainer since Oct 1st, and have told her that my goal is to train with her for 3 mos, then do STS for 3 mos, then return to her for 3 more mos and see what kind of results I can have by Summer '09. She actually liked that idea, because as she said, it is good to mix things up. Enjoy your membership without second guessing.

The gym for me is a great motivator, I am competitive with myself and have a secret need to "be the best" in the gym, work out the hardest, etc...I know, its probably my old bodybuilder thang goin' on, but its nice to have that option. Although honestly? I much prefer the home thing, no waiting for some slow arse to move off a machine...

A question though ... for those that do weight training at the gym, did you enlist the help of a personal trainer to get you on a good program? Or did you read a book? I'm just curious how one goes about getting a quality w/o with weights at a gym, especially when, in my case, I didn't get very good results in the past?

Kara-

If your gym offers the "free orientation" definitely take advantage of that so that you can learn how to use the equipment properly and at what settings for height etc you need to be at.

I think PT's are great if you get a good one. If a PT is something you want to put some money towards, I would wait to sign up with him/her until you've seen them with other clients. At our gym, we have a couple of good ones, but the rest of them aren't even as knowledgeable as me when it comes to form and exercises. And I have no certifications.. all of my info comes from this site and other research. I am often horrified to hear what they tell their clients.

You will be able to tell pretty quickly who is worth it and who isn't. Also, make sure that you tell them specifically what your goals are.. don't let them talk you into some "workout of the month" that they want to do.

Keep us posted!!!

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.