Neck strengthening execises?

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
Could you recommend some exercises to strengthen the neck and shoulder area? We have found that my frequent (2-3 x per week)migraines are coming from my neck. I see a chiropractor once a week. Often by the time I get home my neck is "out" again. I have been doing your workouts for close to 10 years. Apparently my neck is still a weak area. I would appreciate any advice and thoughts of what to do to help me stay in place longer. Thank you so much.

I also wanted to tell you how much I love love love your new circuit series. The premixes are just awesome. I wish you could get some kind of an award for these. You did a fabulous job on these.

I would like to know the same. Just this week it came to my attention the need for greater strength and flexibility in my cervical spine. I started using the band to help - wrap the band around my head and 'pull' my head (using neck muscles) in the opposite direction. I used to do something similar at the gym.

Any information would be great!

I'm not Cathe, but ne tip is to keep your tongue on the roof of your mouth when doing ab work. This seems to help with neck tension. Also, roll up a hand towel and use it for support when you need it. Make a very conscious effort not to pull on your neck with your hands.

>I started using the band to help - wrap the
>band around my head and 'pull' my head (using neck muscles) in
>the opposite direction. I used to do something similar at the
>gym.

You can do a similar exercise using isometric tension (push your head against your hand as your hand resists, so there is no movement) or using a small pliable ball for resistance.

Kathryn, T, and Jane, Thank you for your suggestions. You'd think after all this time I would know these things, but sometimes, after one has tried so many different roads to recovery, you lose focus on the basics. The main problem (according to my chiropractor)is a blockage from my brain to my neck. She says it isn't getting the communication needed to hold it in place. I am to go tomorrow for a new procedure to find where the blockage is located. ????

Anyway, looks to me like if all the muscle, ligaments, etc., were strong enough then I would stay in alignment when I get adjusted. Migraines are not fun!:(
Thanks again for your help. I will try these ideas out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.