Natural Birth Control method

First, shame on doctors, etc. for not educating on this very important subject. Our clinic ALWAYS includes this in our education.

Please know that I want to get the correct information on here. I do not mean to contradict anyone.

PLEASE DO NOT (emphasis only... not yelling :) refer to Natural Family Planning (NFP) as “Rhythmâ€￾ anything. The “Rhythm Methodâ€￾ relies on keeping a calendar of menstrual cycles and calculating your fertile/infertile times via a math formula. NFP relies on the natural signs of fertility/infetility (mucus, cervical position, cervical opening, BBT). It is imperative that you find a thorough book or course. Believe me, the information I have in my notes from the nurse practitioner program (and my required text) is not enough.

Some antibiotics reduce the effectiveness of the pill, the patch (Ortho Evra), and the vaginal ring (Nuva Ring). You can go here, select a method, and read all about it: http://www.arhp.org/healthcareproviders/resources/contraceptionresources/productPT.cfm
You will need to talk with your doctor or pharmacist regarding specific meds.

Antibiotics DO NOT reduce the effectiveness of the shot, Depo Provera. Only Aminoglutethimide (anti-hormone med) is listed on the package insert as decreasing the effectiveness, so medications related to it may also decrease effectiveness. http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_depo_provera_contraceptive.pdf

NFP can and is used by women with irregular cycles. There is no age limit. It does make the method more difficult when cycles are irregular, so a good book discussing such issues is necessary to use the method effectively.

Not all doctors agree that switching pill brands or methods of hormonal contraception requires the use of a back-up method. The package insert is a good source for telling how long to use back-up birth control. Examples:
When you switch from a progestin-only method to the Nuvaring, the patient information instructions state to use a BUM for 7 days. If you switch from the combination method to the ring, no BUM.
http://www.nuvaring.com/Authfiles/Images/309_103003.pdf
Please refer to the patient information for instructions on back-up methods. If your clinician or pharmacist gives you different instructions, question them.

For a thorough method overview, visit plannedparenthood.org.

If you want to read the package insert (Full Prescribing Information and/or Patient Information insert) of a method, which I encourage users to do, go to & select a mehtod: http://www.arhp.org/healthcareproviders/resources/contraceptionresources/productPT.cfm

HTH!

Autumn

My DH and I used the NFP method for 10 years with great success. We have four PLANNED children during that time. It is very easy to do but you have to 'learn' when your fertile times of the month are and be sure to use condoms or abstinence during that time period. Any good OB/GYN can provide you with the information and charts you will need. It was my doctor who suggested DH and I try this method as the pill works too well for me, I never had a period while on the pill and back then doctor's didn't think that was a good situation.

I'm not a pill popper anyway so I was glad to have a natural alternative to the bc pill.

I am thinking of trying this Natural Birth Control method for awhile - would it be a good idea to use condoms as well as a double back up? Kids is not in the pic right now for hubby and me - :)

Reba,

For the few days per month when it's possible for me to get pregnant, we use a double back up method, too! Condoms and spermicide film-- no kids in the plan for us right now, either:)

L

The condoms are a good idea if you question whether or not you are fertile. It certainly isn't a bad idea. Hardcore NFP users would correct you that you are not using NFP (condoms are not natural). ;)

I agree a good OB/gyn can give you the information to get started, but the info may lack information for women with questionable signs. The books and courses offer information to answer questions about iregular cycles, premenopause, short cycles, scanty mucus, continuous mucus, etc.

For contraceptive information, I can't help but add this:
Please, please, please go to plannedparenthood.org, arhp.org, or simply read the insert of your contraceptive for information. You can also contact a family planning clinic, pharmacist, etc. Don't take the advice of anyone without researching the information for yourself.

Best of luck to you!

Autumn

I have never ever been on any birth control EVER and never had an unplanned pregnancy. : ) I also have the book tcoyf and it's great. I take my temp each AM and just chart it online at www.fertilityfriend.com and if you are wanting to avoid you jsut need to figure out when you O each month and use a condom duing that time (the week or so leading up to O) or just don't have sex them. You cannont get preg. by having sex after you have ovulated so from 2 days after (I think that's the rule) you can go back to having unprotected sex. I find for us it's a great method and it'll be great when you do want to start trying because you will have a better understanding of your body and your cycles. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.